Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:41 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times

Advertisements

that plant is so screwed up...

the residents were only supposed to have to pay for a period of three years - from 1987 to 1990 - as you know, we are still paying for it.

when they first started construction, Seabrook and surrounding towns got a tax windfall and as it neared completion, the taxes only increased. At one point, Seabrook was taking in nearly $900K annually in taxes. Then, after protests, the taxes were reduced to approx. $300K per year and the town had to return the excess $$$ collected.

It's a poorly thought out plan for a nuclear plant and there is no hope of an evacuation if an emergency arose. The beaches are at a standstill, traffic wise, when there is a thunderstorm on a summer afternoon. There is no possible way to successfully evacuate the area. Considering that the life of a nuclear is roughly 30 years, the plant will be obsolete soon and we will still be paying for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,492,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat1of2 View Post
Wow! I'm shocked at the utility bills you guys are paying. The last time I paid NH electric/oil/water bills was in 2000. Things must have gotten pretty bad since that time.

Not to make you green with envy (okay, maybe a little green), here are some comparisons with what we pay here in NC:
electric in winter: 38.00 per month
electric in summer (most days > 90 degrees): 80.00 per month
natural gas heating bill for January: 100.00
total winter heating bill: 450.00
water/sewer: 50.00 every two months.

This for a rather poorly-insulated 1200 sq. foot house. As far as the difference in electric rates, is this due to the "Seabrook effect"? And how many more decades will it take for that effect to be erased?
Your expenses are what I was paying in Fla 6 months ago minus natural gas heating bill or any winter heating bill. My electric was the same in the winter and the summer.. Its much cheaper to cool off the house then it is to heat it!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,952,219 times
Sort of like the "big dig"....

And very much agree with your thoughts on the nuke plant. When sitting in traffic on the Hampton into Seabrook bridge, an often heard comment is "imagine if *something* happened there right NOW". I've got some great pictures taken from the bridge, with the glowing red sunset just behind the domes. There is NO WAY that the seacoast area could be evacuated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
the residents were only supposed to have to pay for a period of three years - from 1987 to 1990 - as you know, we are still paying for it.
<snip>
It's a poorly thought out plan for a nuclear plant and there is no hope of an evacuation if an emergency arose. The beaches are at a standstill, traffic wise, when there is a thunderstorm on a summer afternoon. There is no possible way to successfully evacuate the area. .

Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
For my one bedroom my expenses are

Heating- $300 a month
Electric-$140 a month not including the $50 service charge on top of my already outragous bill just to run the electric through the wires? in the summer without a/c it was about $60-75 ish
Verizon phone and highspeed- $70 a month
Cells- $100 a month, but we never get reception anywhere out of Keene
Cable- we turned it off to cut expenses but it was $90 a month that was the cheapest package they offered, and you have to have basic cable up here cause you can't get any reception with ole rabbit ears at all and you'll go bonkers

I came from Fla also and comparativly it was cheaper down there, even running the a/c year round my bill was never higher than $70 in dead of summer. My cable was free but we paid $45 a month in our previous apartment. I think we're paying more per kilowatt up here , plus the service charge for electric.. I'm comparing a one bedroom apt in NH to a 3 bedroom in Fl.
Well if i've learned anything from your short time in NH, it's to make sure we check insulation in whatever place we buy. That's something I would not have thought of looking at. You know, honestly, if my family would get up and move here to FL, i'd be just as happy staying down here. We have it pretty good compared to other Floridians complaining about the cost of living down here but i know my family will never move to FL. Afterall, i'm the only one that left and just like your missing your family down here, i've been missing mine up there. 14 years is way too long to be away.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 AM

758 posts, read 2,890,034 times
Quote:
electric heat is VERY expensive....$300 month minimum for a studio apt.
Where do you people live?? Wow....

I have a BIG two bedroom apt with electric heat and our highest electric bill all winter has only been $160.

I guess I didn't realize how lucky that is.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post

I have a BIG two bedroom apt with electric heat and our highest electric bill all winter has only been $160.

that's what i was thinking. That's almost scary to think i could be facing a bill that high but it seems that the bill fluctuates person to person, place to place. I guess it depends on how drafy a place is. that's all i can think of for a reason to be so high. we will be sure to have a wood stove to help offset some of the cost.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,492,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post

I'm looking at my gas bill right now.. Im in a very tiny tiny one bedroom.. We thought we had no insulation in our ceiling and that is why our gas prices were so astounding. We called out our own inspector last week and found that we do infact have insulation, its way down in there and its origonal to the house so its this old wool like insulation ..Better than nothing but I'm sure not that great. However I'm looking at my gas bill right now this is how it reads for the month of Dec..

Delivery Costs"
1-80 Therms @ .8930 --- $81.44
81-199 Therms @ .6850 --- $16.67
200- up Therms @ .5355 - $.00

Gas cost:

104.34 Therms @ 1.7693 ---- $184.61

Rate Case Surcharge
104.34 Therms @ .0470 --- $4.90

Charges for period $298.71 .

Thats the cheapest month I've had so far we ended up turning the heat down to the very low 60's and stopped using the oven every night to cook (we use a Forman grill now) and sleepwith bed heaters on so we don't get too cold, we have draft protectors under our doors, windows are brand new double paned. My electricity runs around $150 a month. Its just myself and my husband, we don't turn on lights during the day, and at night we just have on the kitchen light when cooking and eating then go in the room and only watch tv with the light off. We unplug all appliances unless using them. They tack on service charges .I had a $50 service charge on top of what my bill was, cause they charge you to actually run the electricty through the wires if that makes sense, I'm not sure how to explain it

Old 02-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
I'm looking at my gas bill right now.. Im in a very tiny tiny one bedroom.. We thought we had no insulation in our ceiling and that is why our gas prices were so astounding. We called out our own inspector last week and found that we do infact have insulation, its way down in there and its origonal to the house so its this old wool like insulation ..Better than nothing but I'm sure not that great. However I'm looking at my gas bill right now this is how it reads for the month of Dec..

Delivery Costs"
1-80 Therms @ .8930 --- $81.44
81-199 Therms @ .6850 --- $16.67
200- up Therms @ .5355 - $.00

Gas cost:

104.34 Therms @ 1.7693 ---- $184.61

Rate Case Surcharge
104.34 Therms @ .0470 --- $4.90

Charges for period $298.71 .

Thats the cheapest month I've had so far we ended up turning the heat down to the very low 60's and stopped using the oven every night to cook (we use a Forman grill now) and sleepwith bed heaters on so we don't get too cold, we have draft protectors under our doors, windows are brand new double paned. My electricity runs around $150 a month. Its just myself and my husband, we don't turn on lights during the day, and at night we just have on the kitchen light when cooking and eating then go in the room and only watch tv with the light off. We unplug all appliances unless using them. They tack on service charges .I had a $50 service charge on top of what my bill was, cause they charge you to actually run the electricty through the wires if that makes sense, I'm not sure how to explain it
That is still a crazy amount for all your doing as far as not using so many things. Are you sure nobody is tapping into your electricity too?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
That is still a crazy amount for all your doing as far as not using so many things. Are you sure nobody is tapping into your electricity too?
Danielle - I was wondering the same thing!

Tara - Do you know anyone with whom you could compare bills...or will the gas company come and do some kind of an "energy evaluation" type of thing?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
the $50 surcharge is for using high transmission wires for imported electricity

that's fairly new -

some towns have their own electric companies so the bills might be less - but the majority of us pay Public Service NH

I paid $150 month for electricity during the winter 30 years ago on a studio apartment, but it was on the first floor, and I found out later that the apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floor did not turn on their heat, so I was heating them also. I only staid in that apt. for 6 months and moved asap.

Currently, my electric bill runs $150 month for my house which is fairly new and well insulated and there are just the two of us.

Tara's bill is high but not out of the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire