Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM

27 posts, read 19,842 times

Advertisements

It has one good use - my friend plays it in his chicken coop at night. Helps keep the varmints away, and it bores the chickens to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM

41,458 posts, read 59,991,204 times
My wife is a classical music fan and listens to the Boston NPR stations all the time. I really like the fact that the NPR commentators do not have to please advertisers or any of the rest of the commercial interests. The people thy do have to please are their intellectual and very rich donors.

I am a fan of classic rock and would listen to the Boston CR station except for the fact that during the morning and evening commute they have about 15 min of music and 45 min of commercials every hour. I am not about to waste my time listening to advertising. I generally put on a Pink Floyd CD and listen to what I like.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:22 PM

9,982 posts, read 7,364,513 times
To the OP - if NPR is all that is broadcast there, then that tells you that the commercial broadcasters don't feel it is profitable enough to have a station/repeater in the area.

What I like about NPR is that there's no yelling or talking down. They'll have people from both sides who can and will have a civil discussion without having it denigrate into a mouth frothing shouting match that involves personal attacks. They have callers from both sides of an issue and actually let them speak rather than the ditto heads that add nothing to the conversation.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:56 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,560,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
To the OP - if NPR is all that is broadcast there, then that tells you that the commercial broadcasters don't feel it is profitable enough to have a station/repeater in the area.

What I like about NPR is that there's no yelling or talking down. They'll have people from both sides who can and will have a civil discussion without having it denigrate into a mouth frothing shouting match that involves personal attacks. They have callers from both sides of an issue and actually let them speak rather than the ditto heads that add nothing to the conversation.
So, you are saying that they allow discourse without name calling , yet end you post name calling?

OK.

NPR has interesting general interest stories, yet after 30 + yrs of listening I have never found them to be "fair" and "balanced" when it comes to politics or ideology, they are unabashedly and unashamedly bought by the DNC, pandering to everything from false narratives right down to spreading hate.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
So, you are saying that they allow discourse without name calling , yet end you post name calling?

OK.
I was under the impression that many callers to the Rush Limbaugh show proudly referred to themselves as ditto heads. If I am wrong, I apologize.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:16 PM

254 posts, read 194,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
This place has been a little slow lately so let's get some red meat out there.

NPR which is one of the most mind numbing, repugnant things to ever plague radio is on SO many radio stations in western NH. I pick it up on two FM stations and three AM.

It's always the same crap, either these obnoxious, pseudo intellectual talking heads spouting off about diversity, racism, sexism, whateverism, or some pretentious "comedy" hour that not so subtly mocks the past, middle America, or conservitism.

I think the problem is western NH's close proximity to Vermont and Massachusetts. Perhaps picking up their stations as well. Still, it's quite obnoxious. I may have to get satellite radio to keep from blowing my brains out
I used to live in a place where NPR was basically the only station available and it really makes you wonder who is listening to it. The only way it could be entertaining was if you were listening to it with a friend so that you could both insult the content for hours. It's like they think that "intellectual" means "discussion of something so irrelevant that hardly anyone cares." So, for example, it would be like the migratory habits of some random bird in Africa for 45 soul-draining minutes. Even the people who were being interviewed were like "had I known it would be this long, I would have put a plastic bag over my head before we started." Once, I flipped it on and it was apparently "World Music" day, which was a lengthy collection of the most unpopular world music NPR could find, like bongo drums and shrieking chants and you were supposed to feel totally superior to people who were listening to actual music. On weekends, I think they had some sort of radio "game show," I guess for people in nursing homes. I'm not joking, they played old time radio broadcasts from the 1950s and had people guess what they were.

If it sounds like I listened to it a lot, wrong. That all occurred over the span of two or three days, after which I just kept the radio off.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:05 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,560,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I was under the impression that many callers to the Rush Limbaugh show proudly referred to themselves as ditto heads. If I am wrong, I apologize.
Don't know , I don't call shows but then it wasn't your use of the phrase , but rather the context, in complete contrast to what you were saying you hate.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,887,281 times
FYI.....NPR would not survive without subsidies.Left wing radio talk stations have come an gone because they can't draw a big enough audience to survive in a free market.Few listeners=few advertizers

Old 07-26-2016, 07:08 AM

4,527 posts, read 4,687,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
I may have to get satellite radio to keep from blowing my brains out
That is probably what you need to do. You have every kind of music you can think of with no commercials, plus you have conservative talk show channels and liberal talk show channels, including NPR. Plus you have CNN, FOX, MSNBC, ESPN. Also, the NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL and NASCAR have channels, plus the big league college conferences are found on satellite radio. The news channels and talk shows and sports stations all have commercials, though.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
FYI.....NPR would not survive without subsidies.Left wing radio talk stations have come an gone because they can't draw a big enough audience to survive in a free market.Few listeners=few advertizers
Public radio gets 16% of it's funding from government sources. The rest is contributed mostly by individuals, corporations, and foundations. Public radio would survive but some local stations may have to cut back on national programming and rebroadcasting on multiple stations.

Of the top 5 national radio shows 2 are public radio, 2 are conservative talk, and 1 is music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire