Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 AM

605 posts, read 625,750 times

Advertisements

If you're wondering which is more expensive, go to the fuel comparison chart at https://www.nh.gov/oep/energy/energy...dex.htm#note_2. Here's what it shows as of today:

OIL @ $2.03 per gallon = $14.67 per million BTU

WOOD @ $315 per cord = $15.75 per million BTU

To find the lowest oil price go to Oil Prices
Right now the lowest price in central NH is $1.65 at CN Brown. At that price, the price per million BTUs is $11.80 for oil compared to $15.75 for wood.

On Craigslist the average price for dry firewood is about $300 to $325, so the government's estimate for wood is about right.

The national oil price outlook is at http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/steo/. Last year the price of oil by the end of the winter was $1 below the projected price.

CONCLUSION: Like last year, this is a year when you can stock just enough firewood for power outages and use oil all winter, knowing that YOU'RE SAVING MONEY WITH OIL. No need to be a slave to the exorbitant price of cord wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:01 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
You forgot to mention the BTU ratings of the carpenter ants that are inside the cord wood !

Old 10-11-2016, 11:01 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,763 times
If you're paying $300 a cord you need to find another wood guy. People tend to manage temps more when they burn oil, so it's not cold but it's not really warm. I like to crank my stove up, grab a whiskey, and know that I'm not burning oil.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:49 PM

605 posts, read 625,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
If you're paying $300 a cord you need to find another wood guy. People tend to manage temps more when they burn oil, so it's not cold but it's not really warm. I like to crank my stove up, grab a whiskey, and know that I'm not burning oil.
There has been a shortage of woods in recent years. Craigslist is representative of what's available.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 PM

385 posts, read 345,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
There has been a shortage of woods in recent years. Craigslist is representative of what's available.
Yikes. You aren't kidding.

https://nh.craigslist.org/search/sss...ax_auto_miles=

Old 10-14-2016, 06:06 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
My boyfriend has been gathering free firewood all summer. Some of our friends needed some trees (nothing huge) cut down, so he went and did it. One of our neighbors bought a log splitter. So for us, this winter will be mainly wood heat with a little oil heat for backup.

So very little in cash out of pocket, but instead a good amount of sweat equity. And he feels a lot of pride as he looks at his stacks of firewood by our house.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:11 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,876,122 times
Quote:
If you're wondering which is more expensive, go to the fuel comparison chart at https://www.nh.gov/oep/energy/energy...dex.htm#note_2. Here's what it shows as of today:

OIL @ $2.03 per gallon = $14.67 per million BTU

WOOD @ $315 per cord = $15.75 per million BTU

To find the lowest oil price go to Oil Prices
Right now the lowest price in central NH is $1.65 at CN Brown. At that price, the price per million BTUs is $11.80 for oil compared to $15.75 for wood.

On Craigslist the average price for dry firewood is about $300 to $325, so the government's estimate for wood is about right.

The national oil price outlook is at Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). Last year the price of oil by the end of the winter was $1 below the projected price.

CONCLUSION: Like last year, this is a year when you can stock just enough firewood for power outages and use oil all winter, knowing that YOU'RE SAVING MONEY WITH OIL. No need to be a slave to the exorbitant price of cord wood.
You can cut your own firewood for FREE....but you can't pump your own oil

Old 10-14-2016, 07:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,496,017 times
Quote:
YUP, Cut your own wood and scrounger here... Last year I had amassed about 12 cord of fire wood. With prices where they were, I EASILY sold 2 cords of seasoned wood (delivered it) for 350 a cord... I couldn't believe it. I could have sold more as there was interest.

At that price. burning oil is a no-brainer..

so wood at 300 a cord is cheaper than last year but still a rip-off in my opinion.

The most frustrating thing is free wood/scrounges are no longer easy to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire