Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 12:24 PM

44 posts, read 107,412 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly relocating to Keene. I'm from the South and the rental housing and apartments is nearly nonexistent in Keene. I'm a family of 5 so I'll need at least a 3 bedroom apartment or home. Everything I have seen is some goofy house that a portion of the home is rented out. I have never seen this type of housing before. I have 3 very youngs kids and that type of situation just wouldn't work.

Does anybody know where to look for a single family home or apartment? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM

152 posts, read 134,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011gt View Post
I'm possibly relocating to Keene. I'm from the South and the rental housing and apartments is nearly nonexistent in Keene. I'm a family of 5 so I'll need at least a 3 bedroom apartment or home. Everything I have seen is some goofy house that a portion of the home is rented out. I have never seen this type of housing before. I have 3 very youngs kids and that type of situation just wouldn't work.

Does anybody know where to look for a single family home or apartment? Thank you.
yes, craigslist

Old 04-27-2017, 02:21 PM

500 posts, read 636,088 times
Those "goofy" homes are multi-families, and are all over NH. I'm sure you have duplexes where you are from. Same thing but instead of a typical ranch with two units side by side, there are lots of 2-4 unit buildings in NH that come in many shapes and sizes.

Craigslist is best but beware of scams. I'll also help you look in the MLS for rentals if you PM me your email.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:58 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Have you looked at the real estate classifieds in the Keene Sentinel? See link.

SentinelSource.com - Classifieds

Also the Peterborough Ledger Transcript?

Monadnock Ledger Transcript | Classifieds | Real Estate Rentals

And the Monadnock Shopper?

The Monadnock Shopper News Online!

Old 04-27-2017, 05:10 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Yes, the "goofy" homes are called "New Englander" style. Old houses that have been added onto over the years piecemeal and hodgepodge. Or they may have been huge Victorian-style houses that have been sectioned off into 2 or more units because they are too big for one family. Don't know why you consider them "goofy". Probably nothing like that in the South with a bunch of cookie cutter houses and apartment complexes. Houses have more "character" up here. If you end up moving into a goofy old house, just be careful to get one that's insulated to modern standards.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:19 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Yes, the "goofy" homes are called "New Englander" style. Old houses that have been added onto over the years piecemeal and hodgepodge. Or they may have been huge Victorian-style houses that have been sectioned off into 2 or more units because they are too big for one family. Don't know why you consider them "goofy". Probably nothing like that in the South with a bunch of cookie cutter houses and apartment complexes. Houses have more "character" up here. If you end up moving into a goofy old house, just be careful to get one that's insulated to modern standards.

I love interesting houses with some history and yes, some funk.

The south is full of boring new construction. I think THAT is "goofy". Cookie cutter homes on tiny plots with HOA's. I'll pass.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
lol thats because its Keene. Whatever there is is either super old, super expensive, or shared with 8 college kids.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:51 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
The OP should keep in mind that NH towns are small, both in population and geographic size. You could live in one of the 8 towns that touch Keene, for instance, and be only minutes away. Add another ring and you can be in Vermont and 20-30 minutes away. Get out of the heart of Keene, especially out of the collegiate zone, and prices drop like a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire