Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 AM

149 posts, read 207,237 times

Advertisements

Can I do this? I want to move to a college town, and live my life. And I have enough cash for a bus down.

I need to depend on gov't assistance...but it's okay. Can this be accomplished in NH--maybe Plymouth, Keene...Durham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 AM

176 posts, read 298,938 times
NH is very rough on the homeless. Head to our southern neighbor, Cambridge is lovely for transients, and thanks to their high taxes and crazily liberal mindset, they have plenty of cash for social services. In general, NH has lots of tough love and scorn. If you pop on a bus now, you'd probably have just enough time to enjoy the pretty fall leaves before you freeze to death mid-October.

EDIT: aha, I see your "post history", if indeed you are serious, and you plan never to work, NH is not even remotely for you. I hear Baja California is lovely this time of year, and West Coasters are all slackers anyway, you'll fit right in. Only actual homeless guy I know of in the town I live in was brother to a very rich man who gave him a ticket to Florida each year until he was found washed up on a riverbed with his skull caved in and kids throwing rocks at his cooling corpse. So if you have rich relatives and want to die in shame and obscurity, we may have an opening.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:35 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
No you cannot do this. You will be miserable. Stay away. It's cold here. And there are zombies here that feed on slackers.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
they have plenty of cash for social services
Quote:
NH is very rough on the homeless
how do u know that they have plenty of cash, and NH doesn't? do u know this for sure? They're rough on homeless? again, how do you know this...

if I go into a small town, I can actually go in and sit down individually with the social services and potentially work something out. If I go into Cambridge...any big city, I won't be able to do this, and I'll wind up homeless...but if I go here, I might be homeless for a minute, but I can wind up with all expenses paid.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:27 AM

...whatever, honestly I'm not that keen on that area anyway. What about Keene? I was keen on that area...or is the state rough on homeless.. I don't think you actually know so I won't ask anymore. I have to make phone calls, or just show up and find out

Old 09-05-2014, 06:25 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
What exactly is the appeal of NH for you? Are you a fan of our extremely long and cold winters?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM

73 posts, read 119,174 times
If you require any form of public assistance and don't have a place to live, NH is probably the worst state in the country for you. Government services are close to nonexistent and winters are brutal. Because municipal budgets come from local property taxes, and because state colleges/universities don't pay property taxes, our state college/university towns (Plymouth, Keene and Durham) don't have the municipal budgets to offer much assistance.

Keene has seen a fair amount of drug/crime-related activity over the past few years, much of which is associated with Section 8 housing. Accordingly, Keene landlords are resistant to section 8. There has been a crackdown on people abusing government services as well, throughout the state. This is unfortunate, as there are people who are too disabled to work in desperate need of services who can't get them here. (I'm an attorney, and my pro bono cases are endlessly frustrating). If you have your heart set on the area, Brattleboro VT (just across the river from Keene) has been described as a college town without a college, and it may have more services available. VT has a reputation for providing more government services than NH. Also, Northampton MA seems to have a fair number of services as well; that's about 45 minutes from Keene and it's one of the most quintessential college towns/small cities in America.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:12 PM
miu

I found this post of the OP's in his thread about wanted to move to Europe and being a sponge over there...
Quote:
I went to college but did not finish...but I did go for 4 years to college. But I don't care about finding work, I just want to sponge off government assistance if that's possible...Okay! I don't need a respectable position, I just want to be a vermin, and sponge off, and enjoy Europe! and read books, and do as little as possible.

Well, I would take a 20 hour a week job, maybe...but is this possible, this is what I need to sort out.
It's really very tragic that the OP has decided to be a slacker for the rest of his life at the age of 25. I don't understand why he thinks that the rest of society would want to support his useless lifestyle.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Keene has seen a fair amount of drug/crime-related activity over the past few years, much of which is associated with Section 8 housing. Accordingly, Keene landlords are resistant to section 8. There has been a crackdown on people abusing government services as well, throughout the state. This is unfortunate, as there are people who are too disabled to work in desperate need of services who can't get them here. (I'm an attorney, and my pro bono cases are endlessly frustrating). If you have your heart set on the area, Brattleboro VT (just across the river from Keene) has been described as a college town without a college, and it may have more services available. VT has a reputation for providing more government services than NH. Also, Northampton MA seems to have a fair number of services as well; that's about 45 minutes from Keene and it's one of the most quintessential college towns/small cities in America.
Thanks for the info! so you think I would fare better in Massachusetts or Vermont basically?, and NH is just not the place for me? That's kind of how it seemed.

Quote:
It's really very tragic that the OP has decided to be a slacker for the rest of his life at the age of 25. I don't understand why he thinks that the rest of society would want to support his useless lifestyle.
Let me try to explain...I wrote that to make a joke. (Woody allen style, because he calls himself a vermin in many of his movies.) What I really want to do in life is be a 'career student'...I really do, I just want to keep learning and reading, that sort of thing. I have no interest in finishing college, I just want to live near a college where it is just a small town vibe, so that I can have freedom to walk around town and on campus, use the libraries, live without needing a car...and whatever town I go into, I promise to never knock up any chicks, so you can depend on me for not contributing to overpopulation, or ever driving an SUV...okay that's another joke, sort of. But it's a good thing to live in society where people aren't all ambitious and out for their own bank accounts. Then there will be more joy and simplicity!, like in Europe...and there will be more intelligence because with all the free time people will read Dostoevsky and socialize more. There will also be less need for hospitals and MD appointments because with the free time people have, they will research all the allopathic treatments that conventional doctors aren't educated in. But in short what I'm saying is that society will benefit by having people who are intelligent/thoughtful and not just conforming to a standard work week to appease mom and dad. And besides after some time of living this style of life, I'll inevitably come up with a real artistic idea...maybe for a TV show, except by then it will be totally online...something like that, so I will contribute someday.

But I don't just want to sponge off necessarily...I'm saying that I definitely need assistance getting started and moving to wherever I will go, and I would like to live a certain life of freedom and simplicity and might like to continue leaning on the gov't, and probably work part time...but in Europe aren't benefits quite common? Well maybe Massachusetts is the place for me.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 PM
miu

So you want to be a professional student? And that's fine, but it's not fair to expect society to support you. Meanwhile there are other students who take out loans and then work hard to pay them back. And then there are others who need government assistance because of some disability that is no fault of their own. On the other hand, you are an able bodied young man who has no excuse at all not to be working towards your life goals.

Maybe you could apply for some grants. Or find work at a university where one of the side perks is being able to take their classes for free. And if you don't care about a degree, then find a university where auditing is free. There are also free online college courses.

Otherwise, in all fairness to the people around you, you do need to earn some income in order to pay for your housing. Where is your family and what do they think of your current life philosophy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire