Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 10,997 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently in the process of deciding WHERE in NH to move, and would love some input from locals. We have researched and explored several areas/towns, and spent a good deal of time doing so, but visiting and living are two separate things.

Here is some information about us and what we're looking for...

*We are a family of 4 (kids 4 & 7), moving from New York.
*Ideally we'd like to be within a 40 minute drive of either Manchester or Nashua, with closer being better.
*We want a good school district for a children, and an area that has decent amenities...(shopping, activities for the kids, etc.)
*We'd be looking for a 3bed/1+bath home, with a top-end budget of around $300K (may be willing to spend more if necessary, but would like to see what that amount could/can get us).

What areas should we be looking in? What offers the most bang for our buck?

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 06:10 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD427 View Post
My wife and I are currently in the process of deciding WHERE in NH to move, and would love some input from locals. We have researched and explored several areas/towns, and spent a good deal of time doing so, but visiting and living are two separate things.

Here is some information about us and what we're looking for...

*We are a family of 4 (kids 4 & 7), moving from New York.
*Ideally we'd like to be within a 40 minute drive of either Manchester or Nashua, with closer being better.
*We want a good school district for a children, and an area that has decent amenities...(shopping, activities for the kids, etc.)
*We'd be looking for a 3bed/1+bath home, with a top-end budget of around $300K (may be willing to spend more if necessary, but would like to see what that amount could/can get us).

What areas should we be looking in? What offers the most bang for our buck?

Thanks....
That price range will give you a range of options from Goffstown, Bedford near the Everett Turnpike, or Auburn/Candia if you want a more rural feel. Bedford, Amherst, Londonderry, tends to have houses on smaller lots, a bit more of a "neighborhood feel." In terms of schools, they are very good in Bedford and Amherst areas that I am familiar with. Right now, it is a seller's market, meaning houses that are priced right in good condition will often sell within a week in the more desirable towns.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 AM

500 posts, read 636,696 times
What do you do for work?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:14 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Post seller's market

To get the most bang for your buck, look within 40 minutes of Manchester but further from the highways, prices will be lower in towns outside of convenient commuting distance to Massachusetts, further from 3/93. For example, Goffstown instead of Bedford.

Living closer to Nashua, it's hard to avoid the Mass commuter price premium, but you should consider Amherst as well as Milford, Mont Vernon, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Right now, it is a seller's market, meaning houses that are priced right in good condition will often sell within a week in the more desirable towns.
Sellers are doing well right now, even overpriced houses which have languished on the market for years are getting offers.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 05-29-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 11:13 AM

"What do you do for work?"

We're both in (or will be) in education, but as of right now I mostly work from home. But just out of curiosity why does this matter? I am just looking for advice on what areas I should focus on and why, within a 40 minute or so drive of Manchester/Nashua. I am looking to spend about $300K on a home, but might consider renting for a year to be sure...or might just dive in. Your link says you're in real estate...what areas do you think are most family-friendly? What areas, if any, should I avoid? Thanks for the advice...

Old 05-29-2017, 11:30 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Lightbulb Definitely rent before buying

Quote:
We're both in (or will be) in education, but as of right now I mostly work from home. But just out of curiosity why does this matter?
I mostly work from home, and had to take care in choosing where I lived, not all parts of S.NH have fast and reliable internet, cell service. Power outages are also an issue, even in Amherst and Bedford it's not uncommon to lose power for hours or even a few days at a time.

Quote:
I am just looking for advice on what areas I should focus on and why, within a 40 minute or so drive of Manchester/Nashua. I am looking to spend about $300K on a home, but might consider renting for a year to be sure...or might just dive in.
Definitely rent before buying.

I found it very difficult to house hunt from several hours away. I had other reasons to buy immediately instead of rent (I came here at the lowest point in the market), and I don't recommend doing it the way I did.

Quote:
what areas do you think are most family-friendly? What areas, if any, should I avoid?
Aside from the obvious (e.g. the "tree streets" of Manchester), not a lot of areas to avoid entirely. I would start by making a list of towns with both acceptable public school systems and acceptable commute times, narrow your search. Also look not only at the current property tax rate, but also the history of the tax rate, assessment, and any upcoming increases in a town's tax rate (e.g. they keep deferring building a new school, etc).

As far as being family friendly, that's something I don't know much about. If you go to a town's website, you can check out their "recreation" committee and event calendar, get an overview of family events in the area.

Density is definitely a factor when you have kids. You'll have to define for yourself what kind of population density appeals to you. With just a few actual cities with high-density urban housing, the majority of housing stock is towns and villages with varying density, fading off into rural. Town centers (e.g. Amherst Village Historic District) are good for medium-density "town" living at a price premium, while a mile away you'll find parts of Amherst to be semi-rural -- your kids may not find any peers within walking distance and you'll end up driving them everywhere for activities, especially in the winter.

Strike that -- anywhere you live in New Hampshire, you'll end up driving the kids everywhere for activities, especially in the winter.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 05-29-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 AM

@Nonesuch...

Thanks for all the advice. I've been making lists of what towns I think are appealing...based on the criteria that you have listed among other things. With two young children my belief is that the school system is arguably the most important aspect, and everything else can be adapted or found accordingly. Unfortunately it's not always easy to determine how strong a school system is until you're a part of it. Of course I view their ratings—primarily based on test scores—online, and read a few reviews here and there, but it's not foolproof. Currently we live in New York—in a suburb about an hour north of the New York City. We live in a neighborhood with a great school district, but one that is in danger of undergoing vast changes during that next decade.

It's hard to define exactly what I mean by family friendly. I'm not expecting to live in a place where I can walk everywhere—can't do that now. I want an area where there are other families around, where shopping (grocery stores, gas stations, etc.) are within a few minute (10?) drive, and where there are things to do for my kids (movies, bowling, activities, parks, etc.). The suburb we live in now is about 5.5 square miles and has 18K+ plus people. I'd like smaller, but it's not the most important factor, although I don't think I want to live somewhere overtly rural either. Maybe find middle ground somewhere.

The towns that we've looked at and been considering (in no particular order)
Bedford
Bow
Derry
Hooksett
Amherst
Milford

Among others that I'm probably forgetting. We've been through most, exploring the areas and reading as much as we can online, and probably will be returning in a couple of weeks. My hope is that someone can offer some insider insight on these towns (and others), about what you like or dislike about them, and where you would move if in my position.

Again, I thank you for all your advice and any help you can provide.

Tom

Old 05-29-2017, 01:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,847 times
On this side of the Merrimack, the towns with the better school systems are Hollis, Amherst, and Bedford.

For a better value for your $300k, consider Brookline which shares the high school with Hollis and Mont Vernon which shares 7 - 12 with Amherst. We've been in Amherst for 20+ years and all three kids went thru the Amherst school system. They were well prepared for life, career, and college..

Seamus

Old 05-29-2017, 01:37 PM

500 posts, read 636,696 times
Quote:
"What do you do for work?"

We're both in (or will be) in education, but as of right now I mostly work from home. But just out of curiosity why does this matter? I am just looking for advice on what areas I should focus on and why, within a 40 minute or so drive of Manchester/Nashua. I am looking to spend about $300K on a home, but might consider renting for a year to be sure...or might just dive in. Your link says you're in real estate...what areas do you think are most family-friendly? What areas, if any, should I avoid? Thanks for the advice...

What you do for work is one of the most important things to consider when moving to NH. Like Nonesuch said, there are many places with Internet that is not reliable and you can literally drive 30-40 minutes down some roads with zero cell reception. Also, depending on field of work, you will want to be in one part of the state or not in another.

Quote:
Strike that -- anywhere you live in New Hampshire, you'll end up driving the kids everywhere for activities, especially in the winter.
Yup. Every town has its own library with activities, parks and rec with activities, and other things to do. You will find yourself enjoying family activities all over the state, and being 40 minutes or less to Nashua, Manchester or the Seacoast this will not be a problem at all.

Of the towns you mentioned, if you go the Milford/Amherst route, make sure you drive to Nashua and Manchester during traffic to see if that is something you can tolerate. NH "traffic" is nothing compared to other places, but when you have been here long enough even a little bit of it starts to get to some people.

I would not rule out the Seacoast. Check out school districts over there. Right now you can pick up a small ranch in Exeter or Stratham in your price range.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM

@LeviDunn...Thanks for the relevant information on internet/cell service. I was genuinely curious as to why profession mattered, and that is good information. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure the driving though Manchester/Nashua during rush hour will impact our decision at the moment...coming from NY the traffic isn't going to impact us today (there are Friday afternoons where I leave work at 2:30 and do not get home until 7PM). Later on, yes it may, and that's something I've tried emphasizing to my wife.

Again, thank you so much for the advice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire