Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:47 PM

15 posts, read 88,105 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have been asking questions on the Vermont Forum, and the responses I'm getting are quite negative for living in Vermont, and mostly it relates to the very high taxes on just about everything. I love the countryside, but you really pay for it in taxes, and I just wonder if it is all worth it.

I have spent most of my life teaching in international schools overseas, and I now wish to settle in the States, but it's rather important that I be very near Montreal, Canada, as I have very close (almost family) friends there. I know Northern New Hampshire borders Canada, and I see the towns of Pittsburg anbd Stewartstown as possible locations to semiretire and work. I'll be upfront about my finances, and I'd appreciate any comments positive or negative concerning taxes, taxes on my retirement income, property taxes, cost of living, and part-time work possibilities.

I have a retirement plan that will give me $62,000+ with a 2% COLA, but I will most likely start lower at $50,000 so that in my later years I get a lot more by reinvesting the difference between $50,000 and $62,000. I have maybe $80,000 in the bank to invest in a home. I'm a very qualified science teacher, and really want only part-time work, even out of the education field. I'd spend most likely 6 months in Northern New Hampshire and the rest in Montreal, making frequent trips up there.

What do you think of this? Thank you very much for any comments.

Regards, Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 12:46 AM

338 posts, read 1,369,506 times
Thumbs up Nh

Hey Rob... Sounds like you've done some great planning, and now you'll be able to live in style! I'm not familiar with VT at all except that I've heard it's a bit ... yes, negative. Except that it *is* beautiful...

Okay - NH. I just spent a month there (campaigning - but let's not go there!) before the Primaries. There are a lot of great things about NH, and I'd like to share a couple of links:

[ Free State Project - Liberty in Our Lifetime ] - Free State Project - just some interesting reading that might show you some of the Independent thinking in NH... and some of the kinds of folks it draws.

http://www.freestateproject.org/file...Move-to-NH.pdf - This link is from the same group, but... it's really more of a list of great things about NH more than anything else. This site will give you some of the tax info you are seeking, but be sure to check their .gov pages for accuracy.

I think if you read through those, it will give you some information that you might consider valuable.

NH is very interesting.... ppl are quite involved in their communities - moreso than any other place I've ever lived or traveled - as far as them meeting and taking part in their local happenings. At Townhall meetings, you and your neighbors will share info, discusses varying opinions openly, and decide what's what! Don't miss out on the invigorating & lively discussions.

Although there are a lot of tax perks there, NH *does* have taxes! And they also have a few toll roads. Not bad, but before I left I was not aware. As far as the taxes, just be sure you know what's tax'd and not and how much. I was speaking with a fellow who moved there thinking there weren't taxes, then opened a business and ended up getting a notice for paying a business tax on a certain level of (I believe it was) gross sales once he got settled. For he and his wife and family - that was something they didn't expect and something about which they felt having a bit misguided. But... they *do* love it there and were moving right along in his new business - a bookstore in Concord.

NH is beautiful - lovely countryside! I'm almost always looking for a place to permanently relocate once my job finishes here (which is in process of doing). Anyway... I was considering NH ... but after campaigning, I'd had enough for at least the next four years! If you live in NH, you *will* meet the candidates! (If you want to meet them.) Each candidate made at least a couple of official visits and a few of them made several unofficial ones. It was very exciting to be in the heart of a place that has the heart to care! They really took their voting seriously, comparing candidates, tracking their voting records, etc. Households divided - everyone voting for someone different! Fun & intriguing!

I have relatives in CT with a summer home in near Sunapee (further SW). I wasn't able to make it *there*, but they said they prefer NH to CT for the friendlier ppl and way of life. They go skiing on the weekends in winter and summers take their time on the lake. They are in a very nice gated community. Beautiful older homes in NH... wow. And the Lake District further north?... what a spectacular drive it was all snow-covered and ... really peaceful. Serenity is the word that comes to mind.... Any number of turns could be a winter scene on a holiday card.

Concord is further south but a busy town with a lot of older homes and still the conveniences of finding anything you need - all the big box stores. Most ppl further North were coming to Concord if they needed to stock up or find something they couldn't find in their smaller towns. So... as far as the COL, I'd say if you live further north - plan on spending some gas driving for what you need. But do visit Concord at least. Very helpful ppl.

Manchester was great for being a place for happening events. There's an Irish pub downtown in Manchester - check out Murphy's Taproom. Nice Irish pub.

Center Harbor on Lake Winnipesaukee was a smaller tourist area - very pretty & NE-looking. Those are the areas I visited more - besides the coastal area.

Head North - it's beautiful country, serene, and closer to Montreal. Just not sure how much teaching you'll manage there. And if you are that far north, I don't think there was too much shopping happening. I mean - you find your "basics," but again - to get home supplies and the like - head for Concord area and load up!

This should help you get a start. I think Maine would also be very nice if you can go that far, but between VT & NH - from what I've heard and my month away, I'd recommend NH.

Best to you in your endeavors!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,270,631 times
To the OP...I mentioned this on your thread in VT (I think), but have you considered upstate NY? The Plattsburgh area specifically.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
hey JustT - well written

NY is also beautiful but that 15% income tax bites.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 AM

Thumbs up Buck Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
hey JustT - well written...
You are welcome, Buck!

I have shared similarly on other threads with much less of an appreciation for what I had so enthuastically shared. So it's "warming" of you to be so kind as to share even such a simple compliment ... compared to the "winter" of a couple of other folks' stingingly embittered ways of thinking & communicating.

Mom always said, "... if ppl would just be kind to each other... the world would be a much better place."

Thank you, Buck, for making this world... a better place. Thumbs up!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I would suggest Burlington, Vermont area so you can do some substitute teaching and there is an expressway to Montreal. Northern NH is hard to get to and to get anywhere from. Been there, done that. What you loose in Vermont income tax you also loose in New Hampshire property and "dividends and interest tax." What you gain in Burlington is Lake Champlain and a liberal politics.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,834 times
Hello and welcome Rob! ... for teaching in northern NH you could poke around just to see what kind of jobs that have recently been posted:
TeachNorth.org :: Home :: New Hampshire's North Country Initiative for Teacher Recruitment

For other jobs in the north country, not sure.

Also look into the Adirondack Mountains of NY. I lived in Lake Placid and Saranac Lake for a number of years and loved it!!!! It's about 30-45 minutes (can't remember now) south from Plattsburgh and about an hour from the boarder. Not trying to stear you away from NH, just mentioning it because I agree with vter that the Plattsburgh area could possibly be a location to look into. Taxes though -- yes!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:43 AM

Default I heard that Plattsgurgh was .....

Some very nice comments here- thank you!

I was seriously considering Plattsburgh, but I have read post that indicate that the area is economically depressed, and there is a lack of jobs. I might be totally wrong though. While I do not need to have a high paying job, I like to be in an economically vibrant area.

Are you saying, also, that the taxes and cost of living in that part of NY state is significantly lower than Vermont? I might seriously look into that then.

Regards, Rob

Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSg View Post
...While I do not need to have a high paying job, I like to be in an economically vibrant area. Are you saying, also, that the taxes and cost of living in that part of NY state is significantly lower than Vermont? I might seriously look into that then.
If you are going to look into NY with respect to tax comparisons, then you might want to look into ME since ME wouldn't be any further from Montreal than NY, would it?

I'm also in relocation processes and checking into the financial end of things. Whether one has a nice retirement investment or not to me was not as important as what each state charges - tax-wise, to live there and how that would apply to my given situation.

I am cool-weather, outdoorsy type, so that was one of my foundations. I also determined that as a single person, I needed to be able to make the most of my income (esp. now that I have none until I can relocate and find a position through which I can support myself). Anyway... it matters not if a state has the highest property taxes if you don't own property (unless your LL of a rental would be subsequently passing it on to you, but you wouldn't directly be paying that bill). You know all this... but if you are making tax benefits and comparisons... here are a few helpful links:

State income tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

State tax levels in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also: Find Your Spot dot com - take a short quiz (free) and it will steer you towards a personalized creation of the top 24-25 municipalities in the U.S. region/s of your choice amongst of list of, I believe, 525 cities. If you don't particularly care for the specific community to which they steer you, it certainly helped me in getting closer to that spot you might be seeking.

RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data - I'm not a senior (yet!), but I did find some great information on this site with regard to benefits of relocating noted by state.

Best of everything to you as you make your move - all of the places you'v mentioned so far are beautiful! I'm certain you will find your dream. Happy semi-retirement!

Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Default Now it's either upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine:)

Hi Just&Me,
Thank you for the advice and the websites. I'll certainly look at them. Planning ahead is important, but it can create headaches. I guess I'll rent for awhile and just see how it goes.

I know little about my own country anymore. Since the 1970's I've basically been out of the US teaching around the world. It's been pretty lucrative, but I've lost touch with my own country. Like you, I'm single, and that makes it a little easier to make moves. Iwould like to be within easy driving distance to my friends in Montreal.

Thankyou again. I'll bookmark those websites.

Regards,
Rob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire