Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, We have two young children and are considering moving to Nashua, NH for it's more reasonable priced housing, but somewhat urban feel. We are concentrating our search on the North End area, as we are not ready to give up the urban feel of our current neighborhood. Wondering if anyone out there can give us a better feel of whether it is a good place to raise kids...i.e schools, parks, etc.. I have read all the offical websites, but looking for some more personal input.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 04:03 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,140,515 times
more reasonable compared to what? and what would you describe as urban? I feel that most of Nashua is city. The north end is lovely with all the mansions, but is that what you are looking for? there are a multitude of roads behind the mansions that have smaller homes, but IMO you could do just as well in other towns, if not better.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
ctaraschi, it sounds like you're looking to stay closer to your neighbors and to the conveniences of city living. It's nice to be in an area where there are actual sidewalks to walk on, and kids can walk to friends house, not to have to jump in the car for every little thing or put themselves at risk by riding bikes or walking on the shoulder of winding country roads with cars whizzing by. Are you looking to move to the neighborhoods that come off of Concord Street (one of my favorite areas in Nashua)? Folks I know who live in Nashua are there because of all that the city has to offer. Lots of rec. activities, schools have programs that the smaller towns just can't afford to offer, etc. One of the things I love about NH is that while most towns are still true to themselves and are remaining more rural/suburban, yet there are cities - pockets here and there across the state that offer a slightly more urban feel, while still being relatively safe--moreso than other urban areas in other states (IMO)

Old 03-13-2008, 02:22 PM

680 posts, read 2,441,039 times
I haven't responded because I am not an authority on Nashua by any means, but I have spent a few nights there and driven all around on several occasions because we are considering moving to Hollis and I wanted to know what the nearest city was like. Have you been to Nashua?

I am not sure what you mean by "urban" feel. Compared to rural NH, yes, Nashua may feel urban to you. Compared to a bustling city (Boston, NYC, Chicago, etc), I wouldn't describe it as urban at all. The downtown is walkable and very cute with better and more diverse restaurants than I would have expected, but you'll have no problem parking on the street. No traffic, no crowds. It's small - very small. Other than that, I found the city sprawling and suburban. You can drive around and see strip mall after strip mall filled with every chain store and chain restaurant you've ever heard of. There is one huge mall. It feels like many newer cities do (or cities that have grown a lot in recent years)- instead of having a compact urban center, stores are spread out.

Portsmouth feels much more urban to me. It has a compact downtown and gets more crowded (for better or worse) because of all the tourists and because it is compact. It has a lot of museums and cultural events. If you are looking for an urban feel/hustle and bustle in NH, you might want to check that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire