Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 01:05 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times

Advertisements

Fuel prorations (for oil or propane) is USUALLY handled outside of closing, NOT on the ALTA (settlement) statement.

If someone is purchasing a house that uses propane, they usually have quite a long period of time (30-60 days from contract to close is typical) in which to call around, get an idea of prices, and decide how they want to handle the fuel remaining in the tank. If they want to keep the company, they need to contact the company to set up an account, and within a few days of the closing, a company representative will check the reading on the gauge(s) to determine how many gallons remain (a full 120 gallon tank has approx 96 gallons of LP, as they only fill to 80% of capacity to allow for expansion). They will also schedule an appointment to do a safety check,etc. There may or may not be a charge for this appointment.

The Buyer can either pay the Seller directly for the gallons that they already paid for using TODAY'S PRICE) OR the propane company will credit the Seller back for those gallons (using the price that they paid).

One benefit to using a different company OR paying the fuel company directly instead of paying the Seller is that companies usually have a "Welcome to our company" fuel discount on the first delivery. If they've set up an account but then don't call for a delivery for months down the road, there's a good chance that that discount will have been forgotten about....

IF this is an underground propane tank, be aware that there may be charges for the excavation to remove the tank. I'm surprised (but probably shouldn't be) that this wasn't covered in detail at some point between the time you made an offer and the day of close as prorations are part of the standard NH P&S... Most transactions have 2 real estate agents (one for the buyer side, one for the seller side) and the title company or closing attorney. NOBODY involved here ever talked about fuel prorations??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2017 View Post
Wow. My house I just bought has a 500 gallon tank owned by Amerigas, which is full (80%). I was told I have to set up an account, pay to get a leak check inspection, pay a rental fee, and sign a contract for a 3-year term. The rates they quoted me are an initial first-fill-only $1.70 per gallon and then $2.29 IF I get 800 or more gallons. I was told if I wanted to change companies (multiple people have recommended Eastern), I still have to go through all those hoops and THEN need to pay a "restock fee" per gallon to empty it for them to come take my full tank away so I can get another company. Geesh. I was told if I do not set up an account, Amerigas is very likely to lock the tank and I won't be able to use the propane in it.

Neither Amerigas or Eastern said anything of one company buying out the tank from the other company. At this point, I guess I am going to have to jump through Amerigas' hoops and run through the 400 gallons of propane already in my tank and then pay whatever cancellation fees I'm stuck with to move service to Eastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire