Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:55 PM

605 posts, read 626,601 times

Advertisements

CN Brown is usually the cheapest for heating oil in central New Hampshire. I called them on Tuesday and delivery time was one week. If you insist that your tank is empty, they will deliver for an extra $100 fee.

Fortunately I had an old account with AD&G. They delivered within 2 hours, although it was a bit more expensive (about $20 more for a full tank).

Lessons:
(1) Order early, when you're down to 1/4 tank. Don't let it fall to 1/8 because in weather like we're having right now that might not last for one week until delivery.
(2) Have an account with two companies to be sure of delivery.

I'm thinking that maybe AD&G is a larger company with more trucks, which could make a difference in a cold snap like right now. A lower price doesn't help much if you can't get it delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 05:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,004,379 times
Propane.

There are basically two types of delivery. Regular or automatic and then there is on call.

I use on call.

Amerigas.

Telephoned Amerigas ordered a delivery.
Amerigas CS states that they have up to 10 days to deliver on call accounts.
On the 10th day. No propane.
Telephone Amerigas CS on day 11. Amerigas CS states that it is 10 Business Days for on call deliveries.
I asked why they just don't state 14 days. Amerigas CS states that everyone knows that weekends are not counted.

On the 14th day no Amerigas propane delivery.
Telephoned Amerigas CS on the 15th day - and they apologize. State mix up or busy or some such excuse.

Finally got Amerigas propane delivery on day 16.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,679,795 times
Post #2 heating oil is basically the same as diesel fuel plus some dye to catch people who put it in their Volkswagen TDI

An advantage of oil (aside from price) is that if you run critically low on oil you can drive down to the gas station by the highway and fill up a bunch of cans with diesel fuel ($2.65/gallon in Manchester) to top off your heating oil tank. Don't try this with propane!

Generally when you are on "automatic" they'll schedule a truck to deliver when they anticipate you'll be head for 1/4 tank; they estimate based on your delivery history and the Degree Days since your last delivery -- if they misjudge and you run low (or worse yet, run out), there shouldn't be a surcharge or fee for emergency delivery and restart for "automatic" customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Amerigas CS states that it is 10 Business Days for on call deliveries.
I asked why they just don't state 14 days. Amerigas CS states that everyone knows that weekends are not counted.
On the 14th day no Amerigas propane delivery. Telephoned Amerigas CS on the 15th day - and they apologize. State mix up or busy or some such excuse. Finally got Amerigas propane delivery on day 16.
How low do should somebody let the propane gauge go before calling for delivery?

Old 12-29-2017, 08:44 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,551,625 times
I'm on auto-delivery with Irving here just on the other side of the river. In 18 years with them, they've never once let me run dry.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:36 AM

385 posts, read 346,176 times
Propane here. I just started with automatic delivery with Eastern after letting the previous owner's Amerigas tank run down. However, since I'm a new customer without much history, they advised me to keep an eye out on my gauge and if I get to 20% and don't show as "delivery pending", to let them know. I filled up on Dec 21 (500 gallon tank "filled" with 400 gallons) and they anticipate coming in the third week of January. They also said they'd be monitoring it as well to adjust their delivery date if needed. They told me that f I had stayed with "Will Call" service, I would need to call them at no less than 20% because of a 1-2 week wait.

On another note, I have an old large drafty (mostly through floor boards) house. I was going through 5% per 4-7 days once winter hit, trying to maintain 64 degrees. Probably worse right now.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:44 AM

5,305 posts, read 6,193,233 times
It's a shame that most areas of NH have no access to natural gas, the best heating fuel available.

Maura Healy, the Mass attorney general and others killed the "Northeast Energy Direct" nat gas pipeline that would have brought nat gas from PA where there is a huge surplus to nat gas starved New England.

Kinder Morgan formally withdraws federal application for Northeast Energy Direct pipeline | masslive.com

Old 12-29-2017, 09:59 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,887,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's a shame that most areas of NH have no access to natural gas, the best heating fuel available.

Maura Healy, the Mass attorney general and others killed the "Northeast Energy Direct" nat gas pipeline that would have brought nat gas from PA where there is a huge surplus to nat gas starved New England.

Kinder Morgan formally withdraws federal application for Northeast Energy Direct pipeline | masslive.com

Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 AM

9,891 posts, read 7,233,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

You can blame Healy but the truth is that NH wasn't going to see any of that gas to use for heating. It was going to be used to generate power in MA and NH and for export.

KM cancelled the project, as did Enbridge with their Access Northeast pipeline simply because they couldn't get enough customers signed up to justify the billions of dollars it was going to cost to build. Once the MA SJC took away their ability to charge current utility customers for the pipeline, they had to abandon their plans. Further, teh KM line was opposed by all the towns in NH it was supposed to go through.

The reason much of NH doesn't have access to natural gas is due to the lack of infrastructure. It's expensive to lay gas lines down the middle of a street especially in a rural state like NH and the return on investment would be decades for the utility.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:16 PM

5,305 posts, read 6,193,233 times
See the thread linked below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...t-about-2.html

Old 12-29-2017, 12:59 PM
KCZ

4,680 posts, read 3,677,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Generally when you are on "automatic" they'll schedule a truck to deliver when they anticipate you'll be head for 1/4 tank; they estimate based on your delivery history and the Degree Days since your last delivery -- if they misjudge and you run low (or worse yet, run out), there shouldn't be a surcharge or fee for emergency delivery and restart for "automatic" customers.
I had Patriot Fuels for oil when I first moved to this house. Despite being on a prebuy plan with automatic delivery, they let my oil run out multiple times. While they generally delivered within 8-12 hours after my calling them about the problem, it was often an additional 12 hrs or more before they could send someone to reset and restart the furnace. Not acceptable in the middle of winter. They never could provide any explanation as to why this happened, so there was never any resolution towards preventing it from happening again, and phone calls from me when the tank was getting low never inspired a pre-emptive delivery. Horrible, horrible company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire