Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 PM

4,573 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

I'm working on putting in my own buried 1000 gallon propane tank, just so I can have it filled once a year or so and use the propane as needed for my water heater, generator, and backup heat. But as long as oil is significantly cheaper than propane and NG is unavailable, my house will be warmed by heating oil (and hardwood).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Pacific Gas & Electric supplies nat gas to Salinas, Castroville, Pacific Grove, Monterey, Pebble Beach, Carmel, Seaside and most other Monterey County locations. Are you a propane dealer by any chance?

You can enjoy living in the bucolic countryside and still have nat gas. Look closely at the photo of a house I posted on the previous page. That house is very remote and is hooked up to natural gas. It is possible if the politicians got on board and wackos stopped the propaganda assault.
This is the New Hampshire forum. Maybe 20% of homes in New Hampshire are eligible to be hooked up to Natural Gas, and the Northeast Energy Direct (NED) pipeline would have added exactly ZERO houses to New Hampshire's limited Natural Gas distribution network, with no provisions for improving local distribution off the +30-inch high pressure interstate pipeline. Kinder Morgan was unable to identify any local New Hampshire NG distributor or electric generation plant which would be supplied by the proposed new pipeline, and existing NG customers might've ended up paying more to subsidize the pipeline than without it.

Quote:
By the way, how do you like the acrid smell of wood smoke that pervades the northern NE countryside during the colder months?
I like the smell of wood smoke. With the recent sub-zero temperatures, my woodstove has been running since Thursday. The majority of the wood I burn I harvest on my own property.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 01-07-2018 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 07:28 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,523,824 times
I think NH propane dealers are a bit more into game playing. It sure seemed like that two years ago when I moved up here and sought a supplier. To start, I could not find anyone who would sell a tank - you have to get it from your supplier so no one else can touch it under state law. Then comes price negotiation - "list prices" are outrageous.

Smoke smell? We don't get inversions here in SW NH, and things are spread out enough that I rarely see or smell smoke. Also, the EPA has forced manufacturers of wood stoves and furnaces to be more efficient, which means less smoke.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:31 PM

385 posts, read 347,144 times
Quote:
By the way, how do you like the acrid smell of wood smoke that pervades the northern NE countryside during the colder months?
Mmmmm I love being outside and smelling somebody's wood stove going. Makes me want to run right home and start mine up!

Old 01-07-2018, 07:59 PM

13,698 posts, read 4,979,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Below is a map of natural gas infrastructure overlaid onto a population density map. If you look at New England, you will see that the natural gas infrastructure coincides oddly well with where the population density is. What is your explanation for that, given that you don't believe gas companies want to put in service where lots of customers are?
Maybe you missed my point. In fact. your map makes my point for me. Southern NH has higher population density than Iowa, for example, yet there are many more Nat Gas pipelines in Iowa. That shows that low density is not the reason for no Nat gas in NH.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 PM

Post New Hampshire had been settled for nearly 200 years before Natural Gas was even a commercially successful product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Maybe you missed my point. In fact. your map makes my point for me. Southern NH has higher population density than Iowa, for example, yet there are many more Nat Gas pipelines in Iowa. That shows that low density is not the reason for no Nat gas in NH.
Population density is not uniform in Iowa, nor in New Hampshire; Densely settled areas are more likely to have NG service.

Other factors include geography, history, and yes, environmental protection (or the lack thereof)

In Iowa, about two out of three of homes are heated with NG, but even with that local usage, 80% of the natural gas which transits Iowa pipelines is on it's way out of state for sale.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I've travelled extensively in NH and New England and would like to move there. I've also never had a reason to study the soils and granite survey maps for NH. If there are ledges and outcroppings everywhere as is claimed, how does anything get built? Note: there is always dynamite.
Dynamiting already established neighborhoods? Sure, that's going to be really popular with the residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ You reminded me of the biggest difference between oil and propane. At least around here in SW NH, no one owns their propane tank because no one will sell it to you. Oil users all own their tanks.

This means oil heat folks can shop around for refills. Suppliers don't like this, so they use preference to auto-fill customers to get a hook set. With propane, as soon as you get the tank delivered, you are somewhat locked in. Sure you can switch suppliers (if you don't have a one or two year contract in force), but at what cost in time and money? No one buys back the left over propane
When you switch suppliers, the old supplier will almost certainly buy back the left over propane -- probably at a reduced price, but better than nothing.

Not sure about the difficulty in finding somebody to sell you a large propane tank. I'm planning to start asking around soon, I currently just use a small amount of propane for hot water and the like, but am considering getting my own tank.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM

221 posts, read 485,030 times
Quote:
It's a shame that most areas of NH have no access to natural gas, the best heating fuel available.

Maura Healy, the Mass attorney general and others killed the "Northeast Energy Direct" nat gas pipeline that would have brought nat gas from PA where there is a huge surplus to nat gas starved New England.

Kinder Morgan formally withdraws federal application for Northeast Energy Direct pipeline | masslive.com
Our condo in Dover had natural gas and loved our $30 bill lol. Now with our house only heating oil so we've been keeping track especially with the brutal cold that's eating up fuel like crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire