Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,510,636 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else experienced this? I get a solid 20mbps in the daytime, which is what I pay for. We live in Dublin. Since early December, every evening the speed decreases. At 8 PM, it's 5 mbps or less, sometimes as low as 1!

My one call (so far) to them led to them sending a service person. They forgot to give me a choice or tell me they were doing so, and also billed me $160 for a service call I neither got nor wanted. (I was not home). I did not need the service call because it's obvious the problem is outside the home.

Interestingly, it appears their internet service, such as it is, is entirely unregulated. The state's PUC is clear on its website that they don't regulate internet service, so I guess Fairpoint can charge as much as it wants for just about anything they want for services? I guess they don't even need to tell us about "service" calls or give us a chance to refuse?

Of course, according to FCC, we have choices and competition. Unfortunately, my choice is to have service or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 06:06 PM

385 posts, read 346,119 times
Hi, I have Fairpoint. I'm in Ossipee. I have the 25/2 plan. I use the Ookla speedtest and they randomly picked the servers. I saw your post around 12:30 pm and decided to run a few tests. Here are my results.

12:30 pm: Portland, ME server: 23.50 Mbps download / 1.96 Mbps upload
5:30 pm: Boston, MA server: 26.26 Mbps download / 1.78 Mbps upload
8:03 pm: Boston, MA server: 24.61 Mbps download / 1.94 Mbps upload

Any chance you are wireless and there is a problem there?

Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 AM

Thanks for testing and posting your results.

I use both direct wired and wireless. In this case, the testing was done on a machine that is a direct ethernet connection to the modem/router over about 10 feet of cable. I also do the tests when nothing else is online

Last night I was down to 6mbps at 8 PM, rising to 14 at 10 PM. I'm pretty sure the problem is local, in the backhaul from the dslam, but I bet there's no way to get Fairpoint to look at that.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:38 AM

385 posts, read 346,119 times
Yes, it is very hard to get any internet company to move on past trying to pin the problem on the consumer. The only suggestion I can offer is to get past the initial clueless tier of customer support to a supervisor. I've only had Fairpoint since July and have had no troubles (knock on wood) but I did have some success with AT&T back in Florida when I got past the initial round of support representatives up to a supervisor and was able to convince him I knew what I was talking about.

I hope you raise heck with them about that service call. I'd be livid.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,676,438 times
I wonder if waiting it out another 6 months while ConCom reorganizes would be beneficial. They're talking the talk about better internet service, but who knows if they'll walk the walk.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/01/...of-rebranding/

Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Based on my knowledge (which is not trivial), it's a local problem, which are the hardest to get their attention. I know it's not internal, because I would not get 20mbps like I do in off hours. For the same reason, it's not my twisted pairs (I have bonded service) to the dslam. Those pairs are not shared. That points to either something in the dslam or in the connection from the dslam to the next node. That connection (backhaul) seems to be working at a reduced capacity.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:52 PM

605 posts, read 626,364 times
The evening slowdown has been terrible for the last two days. I don't know if it had anything to do with the freezing rain. Slowed to a crawl and then stopped repeatedly. Works fine during the day, as the OP says.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,230,972 times
Maybe it has something to do with the amount of Netflix, Hulu, and whatever adult entertainment content that is consumed in the evening.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 PM

^ that's what I thought, but when I spoke to tech support last night, I was told the peak demand is earlier in the evening.

I also made another interesting observation - when service slows, ping time skyrockets, and a traceroute pointed to an internal non-routable IP address.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 PM
KCZ

4,679 posts, read 3,676,438 times
I had horrendous internet slowdowns for the past two evenings, and I'm on Comcast. I finally sorted the cause to Firefox's recently installed latest update (58.0), and uninstalling that and reinstalling from scratch solved the problem completely.

But while we're bashing FP, I just got letters of introduction from ConCom, each containing a new PIN number for my accounts. However, each letter failed to contain any reference to which account that particular PIN number was for. I'm sure I can figure this out, but it doesn't show a lot of forethought by FairPoint's successor. If I had 20 accounts instead of 3, and received 20 letters each with a random 4-digit PIN and no identification as to which account each PIN was for, I'd probably be blasting somebody at ConCom about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: