Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 03:36 AM

34 posts, read 59,343 times

Advertisements

I have read some helpful posts from CD users and I thought we had it figured out, NH was our go to state BUT the more research we do the more confused we get about where to move when we retire.

We currently reside in NY and want to move when we retire. There are some positives to living in NY but there are more negatives. Although at this point, we are thinking of staying in NY

We love the outdoors, wilderness, & the four seasons. We would rather deal with the winter than the humidity of the summer. We want to be near mountains, lakes, & streams. We hike, bike, camp, fish, kayak, & ride ATV’s we like being outdoors, even in the winter!

We are looking for a state that is not going to soak our pensions, good healthcare, four seasons, and a decent job market. We may want to work PT and for our kids who may following us.

One of the biggest negatives of moving out of NY is trying to find doctors and healthcare facilities that will accept our insurance. Comparing all the pros and cons really makes you realize there is no perfect place and staying put may be the best option.

We love the beauty of NH and it is still on our list. Even though state college tuition is expensive and the vehicle registration/tax fees are OUTRAGEOUS! NH also has a view tax… I believe this is if your house has a view of a lake or mountains.

We have been to Maine several times and it is another consideration. Maine would tax our pensions, and they have high vehicle registration/tax fees.

We have never been to Tennessee and plan to visit The Cumberland Plateau area this summer. TN is on the list mainly for the low property taxes and no tax on pensions. That area gets some snow and from my understanding, is one of the least humid areas of TN aside from the Smokey Mountains. Negatives are the high sales tax 9.75%, job opportunities, and the creepy crawlies

We have looked into PA and VA but there seem to be more cons then pros for us.

We have researched sites like topretirements.com, AARP, Kiplinger, tax-rates.org, etc. They are informative but hearing from people who actually live in these states would give us a better picture.

Any input of why or why not - pros/cons for these states would only help us with our decision.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 06:47 AM

385 posts, read 346,176 times
Hi! I recently moved to NH from Florida and plan on making this my forever home including for retirement when it comes. Yes my investment income will be taxed but not horribly so, yes the car registration fees are ridiculous, and yes heating costs are high. But I found I made that up with much lower car insurance costs, much lower homeowners insurance costs, no sales tax, generally cheaper cost of living, etc.

As you are finding out, there is no one perfect place. And as I found out, it's not just about money. You have to be happy IN the place you choose. Obviously financial security plays a big part in that but some things are worth paying the extra for. And usually, unless you pick somewhere really bad, the good things make it up elsewhere. You need to consider lifestyle, population, creepy crawlies, climate, geography, hobbies, activities, etc.

Regarding the view tax: You can easily find beautiful places to live without triggering a tax view. If you are seriously considering NH, you should research the different regions - the state has multiple flavors and something to suit everyone but they are very different. You also want to pay attention to property taxes - and don't just go by a town's "rate". Look at the actual tax any given property has paid over the years. You can find this info online easily and most real estate sites include that information.

For me, the pros far outweighed the cons. I'm thrilled to be here.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,877,165 times
"We want to be near mountains, lakes, & streams. We hike, bike, camp, fish, kayak, & ride ATV’s we like being outdoors, even in the winter".
That says it all.
You'd love the town of Meredith that has all of the above.Close to hospital,shopping and major roads.
Taxes aren't bad and NH has no state income tax.
Only downside is heavy summer traffic which is no problem when you learn the back roads and shortcuts.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:14 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,632,094 times
What are the car registration fees? What I find online is this:

State Fees:

0 to 3000 lbs.: $31.20.
3001 t0 5000 lbs.: $43.20.
5001 to 8000 lbs.: $55.20.
8001 to 73,280 lbs.: $.96 per 100 lbs.
City Fees:

Passenger vehicles and trucks: $3.
Heavy vehicles and buses: $5.
Motorcycles, recreational/farm vehicles, and trailers: $2.
Other New Hampshire Vehicle Registration Fees:

Initial license plate fee: one time fee of $8.
Duplicate car registration: $15.
Temporary 20 days registration: $10.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-28-2018, 07:49 AM

JDHPA - for NH registration fees I have been using this site EB2Gov Our vehicles add up to a hefty yearly fee :-(

Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 AM

SB2017 - You are right in this statement - "You have to be happy IN the place you choose. Obviously financial security plays a big part in that but some things are worth paying the extra for. And usually, unless you pick somewhere really bad, the good things make it up elsewhere. You need to consider lifestyle, population, creepy crawlies, climate, geography, hobbies, activities, etc." We are leaning towards NH for the beauty and the outdoor activities. In TN, our dollar would go a lot farther but not sure we would be as happy.

Samiamnh - we have been to Meredith as well as Sandwich, Hebron, Plymouth, Wolfeboro, New London, Sunapee, Conway just to mention a few places. We love the lakes region and would relocate there if we decide we can afford it in our retirement years.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 AM

Thanks CountryMom, that is hefty for a new car. Looks like it decreases with car age to something less crazy.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:37 AM

It sure does add up to a hefty fee. For our three vehicles and a 5th wheel we are looking at anywhere from $2,800 to $3,200 depending on the town. Those prices, in addition, to property taxes are comparable to what we pay in NYS property tax. That is one plus for NY, the vehicle registration fees are fairly minimal compared to other states. BUT NY gets you in many other ways....

Old 01-28-2018, 09:42 AM

Some cities in NH lower the taxed value of property based on owners' age. If you haven't seen this yet, take a look:

https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/.../etc-alpha.pdf

Main page:

https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/...ax-credits.htm

Old 01-28-2018, 01:08 PM

133 posts, read 135,929 times
There’s give and take in every area of all the states you’re considering. Based on the needs you’ve described, it sounds like you would save a lot of money by staying put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire