Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 02:16 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,962,868 times

Advertisements

Have you all noticed how $$$ Expensive $$$$ Wild Catch Fish has become over the years. Personally I do my best to avoid any kind of Farmed Fish, as it truly does not taste as good and it also appears much more toxic.

I like fish that is delivered fresh daily by fishermen who fish 1 or 2 days at a time, using the hook and line method. Although this is the more costly method, the taste and quality are far superior. However, Chain Stores and other markets that buy fish from fishermen whose boats stay out for weeks at a time, using very large boats and even larger nets, a method of drag fishing is cheaper, but the inferior quality and poorer taste is not worth the savings.

This cost increase does not surprise me, as the Worlds Fishing Practices are not at all inclined with regards towards conservation and replenishment. Unlike our Timber Industry, the World Wide Fishing Industry has no conservation model but rather serves to eventually make our Oceans baron of all edible fish.

Sad to say, but fairly soon we will be seeing Wild catch Salmon Fillets at $30 per Pound and Halibut will even cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM

215 posts, read 583,779 times
I catch my own. Trout, salmon, and bass are plentiful in the lakes and the rivers. Pretty soon I'll be fly fishing in the Androssgogin and the Conn. rivers.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
I catch my own. Trout, salmon, and bass are plentiful in the lakes and the rivers. Pretty soon I'll be fly fishing in the Androssgogin and the Conn. rivers.
Colebrook, what quotas if any does your permit allow?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Cometvoyager - I completely agree with your contention that humans will fish the sea until they have caught them all. Our current methods are mining the ocean without any concern of long-term productivity. Then the fishermen and fish processing corporations will whine about loosing their lively hood and 'sacred' way of life and want government subsidies instead of accepting reasonable conservation methods that might have preserved the resource forever.

Like the near elimination of wild animals from our food supply I believe that farmed fish will supplant wild fish. Wild fish, like wild boar or elk, will become a luxury good available only to the very wealthy.

Now we have to do something about the awesome amount of “fresh” fish thrown away by the retail food industry. It is a shame to waste a scarce resource like good fresh fish. IMHO it is far better that a store run out of product like this before it has to throw any away. This may be bad for business but it is good for conservation and long-term availability.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:13 PM

215 posts, read 583,779 times
You can take 5 trout and 2 salmon per day. The bass are eitheir 2 or 3 per day

Old 03-31-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Cometvoyager - I completely agree with your contention that humans will fish the sea until they have caught them all. Our current methods are mining the ocean without any concern of long-term productivity. Then the fishermen and fish processing corporations will whine about loosing their lively hood and 'sacred' way of life and want government subsidies instead of accepting reasonable conservation methods that might have preserved the resource forever.

Like the near elimination of wild animals from our food supply I believe that farmed fish will supplant wild fish. Wild fish, like wild boar or elk, will become a luxury good available only to the very wealthy.

Now we have to do something about the awesome amount of “fresh†fish thrown away by the retail food industry. It is a shame to waste a scarce resource like good fresh fish. IMHO it is far better that a store run out of product like this before it has to throw any away. This may be bad for business but it is good for conservation and long-term availability.

Ditto! GregW! It does appear human kind has not been the best steward with regards to how we care and preserve other species. Not to mention how we are messing up our fresh water supplys.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
Sad to say, but fairly soon we will be seeing Wild catch Salmon Fillets at $30 per Pound and Halibut will even cost more.
I've observed that while fresh, wild salmon is going up steadily, wild fresh U.S. halibut has been steady and is often the cheapest "meaty" (my term) fish on sale. Cod also seems to be making a comeback, which I love and grew up with in England.

However, S.E. Asian FARMED salmon, crab, shrimp, and now even scallops are the norm everywhere. I just don't get it either. They are super cheap because of crappy wages and living conditions for the workers and they have a massive carbon footprint. The import products drive US, Canadian, and Mexican fish industry out of business thus forcing domestic product prices up. The import food is also so rarely inspected by the USDA as to be absurd.

So, rather than having fresh US or Mexican shrimp, we have 6,000-mile old previously frozen, farmed (i.e. fed on poop) strange-tasting Bangladeshi or Thai shrimp. And the thing is, if they would PUT it in the store, I'd pay more for raw, local seafood. I mean, if our STEAKS were coming from anywhere but the U.S. we'd have a conniption fit!! And beef ages and travels far better than fish.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
My grocery sells salmon farmed in Maine. It tastes pretty good too.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM

758 posts, read 2,888,880 times
Farmed raised salmon is actually horrible for wild stocks. Most hear "farm raised" and think that it is better to eat those than actual wild fish. This is actually the opposite for salmon.

Farm raised salmon are usually raised in large pens in rivers mouths of native salmon streams, and are fed bait fish caught by commercial trawlers and netters. These bait fish are the base of the food chain for just about every larger fish and sea creature, not just wild salmon (seals, whales, dolphins, other fish, etc etc etc.). Depleting this resource SEVERELY impacts far more than just wild salmon.

Also, keeping salmon in extremely concentrated numbers leads to large issues with disease and sea lice, and because these "farms" are actually in "wild" or open water, it impacts wild salmon as they swim upriver past the farms.

Halibut is a story similar to other fish. They were once considered "trash" along with orange roughy, pollack, and many others. We depleted the stocks of "good" fish so bad that they eventually switched to the trash fish, marketed them well, and now overfish the hell out of them. Sad story. The worst part about it is that fisheries are extremely good at rebounding from overfishing, and it could and should easily be a sustainable resource if we let them recover, and implemented good harvest practices. We're too much of an immediate gratification society to go that route though.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,641 times
Talking Hello FISHNFOOL!! THANK YOU!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!

EXCELLENT POST!!!WELL SAID!!

And YES, we ARE an INSTANT GRATIFICATION SOCIETY And we

are hurting ourselves because of it ALL!!

I love to eat FISH, and I particularly love SALMON, and I can definitely

tell the difference between FARM RAISED & WILD SALMON,

it is NIGHT & DAY!!! The same thing with shrimp, when its farm raised its

HORRIBLE

I wish we, as a country would do something about this, before its too

late...

Thanks for your post!

Take care,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Farmed raised salmon is actually horrible for wild stocks. Most hear "farm raised" and think that it is better to eat those than actual wild fish. This is actually the opposite for salmon.

Farm raised salmon are usually raised in large pens in rivers mouths of native salmon streams, and are fed bait fish caught by commercial trawlers and netters. These bait fish are the base of the food chain for just about every larger fish and sea creature, not just wild salmon (seals, whales, dolphins, other fish, etc etc etc.). Depleting this resource SEVERELY impacts far more than just wild salmon.

Also, keeping salmon in extremely concentrated numbers leads to large issues with disease and sea lice, and because these "farms" are actually in "wild" or open water, it impacts wild salmon as they swim upriver past the farms.

Halibut is a story similar to other fish. They were once considered "trash" along with orange roughy, pollack, and many others. We depleted the stocks of "good" fish so bad that they eventually switched to the trash fish, marketed them well, and now overfish the hell out of them. Sad story. The worst part about it is that fisheries are extremely good at rebounding from overfishing, and it could and should easily be a sustainable resource if we let them recover, and implemented good harvest practices. We're too much of an immediate gratification society to go that route though.

Last edited by countrylv22; 04-07-2008 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: SMILE & WE WILL SMILE WITH YOU!!:0)HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE! :0) Take care, PEACE! :0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire