Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM

274 posts, read 952,943 times

Advertisements

Well, my wife would enjoy it. Her senior year in high school the home economics teacher left during the last semester to have a baby and she taught the class the rest of the year. The principal would come in, take roll, and tell everyone if they had any questions to ask her. (Small town)

Today she has three machines in her craft room including a serger and an embroidery machine that is attached to the network. I'll come in for lunch somedays and think she's back there, walk in and the machines are running by themselves. Oh well, it keeps her out of trouble during the day.

I'll get her to give lessons to any of you that decide you want to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,965,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnFlyer View Post
Well, my wife would enjoy it. Her senior year in high school the home economics teacher left during the last semester to have a baby and she taught the class the rest of the year. The principal would come in, take roll, and tell everyone if they had any questions to ask her. (Small town)

Today she has three machines in her craft room including a serger and an embroidery machine that is attached to the network. I'll come in for lunch somedays and think she's back there, walk in and the machines are running by themselves. Oh well, it keeps her out of trouble during the day.

I'll get her to give lessons to any of you that decide you want to learn.
MtnFlyer, my wife would love to know your wife, as she would probably try to trade something with her so she would not have to sew!

Small Towns I think are the best, as everyone knows one another and get togethers are fun too! I used to be a volunteer fire fighter, as was my Dad and the Fire House was the center of all of our social activities! We had dances and New Years Parties, barbeques and so on!

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

274 posts, read 952,943 times
She wouldn't have to trade anything. My wife looks for reasons to sew or embroider.

I did the vol. fire thing too after high school. I remember the dances, concerts, chili dinners, and other fund raising events. LOTS of fun! I love those things. Years ago my group also owned an auction company. I got my auctioneer's license and would fill in as needed. We've since sold the auction company, but I still volunteer to do charity auctions just because they're so much fun. I love small town social events.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,974 times
lol, Lisa. I thought the same thing up until college. turns out that I was basically traumatized in Jr High home ec. I remember saying that I would never ever sew again, not even a button (well, maybe a button). Being forced to sew things I hated and had no interest in, and doing that dumb exercise of tracing lines on a piece of paper with the sewing machine made me feel very frustrated.

What I discovered later on, is that the main concern people have is that they can't sew straight (unless you're quilting, in which case there are aids to help with that, or you're making something really tight fitting, it doesn't matter that much!! that's why clothes drape and fold), or they're afraid they're going to sew onto their finger. I dunno, I've heard of people who have done that (my sister did long ago), but frankly on modern machines... it seems like youhave to really try hard to do that! it's not an easy thing to do.

Once I move up, I'd be happy to teach 'remedial' sewing to anyone interested. Trick is making something useful that you might care about. I usually start with things like nightgowns.

BTW on quilting: you can do it by hand. Most quilters put the pieces together on the machine and do the quilting by hand. You can also do applique quilting entirely by hand: no machine necessary. Just cutting out bits.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM

587 posts, read 1,626,525 times
Default She what?!!???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
When our kids were young I always left the house when she was trying to sex their costumes! It was not a pleasant site!!!!!:shocked :

She definitely has much better skills in other areas!!!!!
SHE DID WHAT??!! I'll BET that wasn't pleasant to watch! The picture I have in my head now - I may need some therapy! LOLROFL!!!! Thanks Comet you literally made my night!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 PM

Red face That was Totally Embarrassing!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
SHE DID WHAT??!! I'll BET that wasn't pleasant to watch! The picture I have in my head now - I may need some therapy! LOLROFL!!!! Thanks Comet you literally made my night!
Whoops I meant Sew their costumes! That was totally embarrassing!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,957,329 times
OMG!!! There went my tea, all over the desk!! Good thing I got those signed contracts put away before I signed on to City Data!!! I know now that I'd better clear the area before signing on "this place". Holy Moly and Thank you Comet OMG, I"m going to wake somebody with my laughing-- ROTFL!!! (the dog is looking at me funny) and that must made it worse... LOL!! The dog just got up and left my office LOL I love this place
This post is a classic Please oh please mods, leave it as is!!!

Quote:
If ever I want my wife to divorce me all I have to do is buy her a sewing machine for Christmas!!!!!

When our kids were young I always left the house when she was trying to sex their costumes! It was not a pleasant site!!!!!:shocked :

She definitely has much better skills in other areas!!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 PM

Red face Yes I am more red in the face than a tomato!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
OMG!!! There went my tea, all over the desk!! Good thing I got those signed contracts put away before I signed on to City Data!!! I know now that I'd better clear the area before signing on "this place". Holy Moly and Thank you Comet OMG, I"m going to wake somebody with my laughing-- ROTFL!!! (the dog is looking at me funny) and that must made it worse... LOL!! The dog just got up and left my office LOL I love this place
This post is a classic Please oh please mods, leave it as is!!!

Ok, Ok !!!! Keep rubbing it in! I am totally and completely humiliated!: oI feel like I am being paddled going under a 13 person windmill line!!!!:t ape:

Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,181,073 times
Quote:
Ok, Ok !!!! Keep rubbing it in! I am totally and completely humiliated!: oI feel like I am being paddled going under a 13 person windmill line!!!!:t ape:
Comet - It was just a Freudian slip - obviously when typing about your wife sewing the costumes you were thinking of your last sentence.....She definitely has much better skills in other areas!!!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,974 times
gee... I guess it just goes to show some of the friends I hang out with ! I saw that post, and thought: how odd to be doing that with kids. But otherwise... <shrug> I have friends with unusual professions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire