Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,978 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I just moved to Manchester for his job but really want to live in a smaller town (within a 30-40 minute drive of Manchester). We are having a hard time finding 'the right' town. The most important factors to us are:
-Schools
-Community/good town feel (we'd love to live in a place that has local businesses so we don't have to drive to Manchester for everything we need)
-Outdoor recreation opportunities nearby
-Young families
-Preferably a more educated/progressive town
-Rural/agricultural feel

I know this is a lot of factors, but this is just an ideal list. We think we like Exeter, and are maybe interested in Hopkinton/Henniker area too. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
You picked two pretty nice towns and can't go wrong with either one. Henniker is a college town and features Pats Peak ski area.

Exeter has a long historical history, a beautiful town common and has Phillips Exeter Academy, an excellent private school. It's also close to the ocean.

Both have shopping nearby (within 1/2 hour) and still feature a rural/agricultural feel.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,945,596 times
I agree, but only to a point. Henniker's schools are great, and I love the small-town atmosphere (NE College students don't seem to overwhelm the town like many other college towns) but you'll be heading to Concord (20 or so minutes away) for your shopping needs. There is a Downtown consists of a pharmacy, couple of restaurants, a general store. I don't know if the video store is still open or not.

Exeter may be able to meet more of your needs. Downtown is vibrant, but historic and old fashioned feeling, but with some fun little shops. Good for walking, browsing, grabbing some lunch. Sau 16 school district is considered one of the best in the state. Classroom assistants are oftentimes UNH students, gaining credits toward their teaching degree. Plus you're a stone's throw from the beach (Exeter borders Hampton). I have thoughts to share on several other towns that could meet your needs, but I'll let others chime in with their opinions I'm sure all will be helpful...

Old 02-16-2012, 10:40 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
I really think Exeter would be your best choice. It may not feel quite as rural or be quite as close to hiking and some other outdoor activities, but in every other respect I think it's a better choice than Henniker. I might suggest Durham, but most of the local businesses downtown really cater to college students (to use Val's words, they may "overwhelm" ). There are a lot of families with children who are attracted by the excellent schools, however.

You would probably really enjoy Hanover and maybe Keene, but they are unfortunately too far from Manchester (at least 1h15).

Last edited by Verseau; 02-16-2012 at 10:58 AM..

Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Live on the same side of the Merrimack River as your job. There are very few bridges and they back up during commuting hours. This is one thing will save you hours of aggravation.

Try to commute to the West in the Morning and to the East in the evening. Driving into the low sun glare is almost more aggravating than the bridges.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
Hollis is easily within 30-40 minutes, has top notch schools, has some amenities in town - otherwise go to Nashua, it's rural/ag. seems obvious to me....!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 AM

95 posts, read 290,022 times
Hello everyone, my vote would be for Exeter. We have spent a lot of time visiting there. Great restaurant 11 Water St to take in the local flavor. I think it offers you everything you're looking for (prev posts have mentioned many good things) and you're only minutes from Stratham that offers everything you could want in Shopping...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire