Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:21 AM

383 posts, read 397,431 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt that you will be able to build a "quality" bus conversion for under $20K. Our first rig was a used 97 Winnebago Vectra, which was Winne's top of the line model that year. The overall quality was pretty good and we sold it in 2009 for around $20k. Here is a similar one today, with a diesel engine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Winneb...cAAOSwngtczInC

If you are not interested in the latest gadgets and can live with no slides, it would very difficult to make something like this on a limited budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 08:30 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Jonathan,
:
I believe from a financial standpoint you will be much better off purchasing a used RV over converting a bus. Buying everything you'll need (ie: RV appliances, cabinets, toilet, shower, furnace, A/C, power distribution panel, fresh water tank, grey and black holding tanks, plumbing: piping/valves/fixtures, propane tank and the list goes on) will be quite expensive individually and then you'll need to properly secure everything for travel. You'll also need to consider the weight distribution, both axle weight (front and rear) and side to side loading, as well as overall weight of the rig, so you do not exceed the rating of the frame.

If you look around, I believe you will find a used trailer, 5th wheel or even a properly maintained motorhome will be much less expensive. Even if you find something that needs some work, at least it will already have a majority of the major components installed.

I do not wish to downplay your dream, but want to ensure you to consider everything before you get too heavily invested into this endeavor. Good luck whatever path you take.

Lou
I think you want to look seriously at this concern. I don't know this space, but certainly it's a lot more costly to massively customize or restore a car than it is to just buy the end product from a factory. The auto manufacturer gets the parts far cheaper than a consumer can buy them, and they assemble them with much more efficient processes. This may be different, but it'll be a significant expense and time-sink at any rate, so I think it's worthwhile to really do your homework before committing to the project.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:42 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think you want to look seriously at this concern. I don't know this space, but certainly it's a lot more costly to massively customize or restore a car than it is to just buy the end product from a factory. The auto manufacturer gets the parts far cheaper than a consumer can buy them, and they assemble them with much more efficient processes. This may be different, but it'll be a significant expense and time-sink at any rate, so I think it's worthwhile to really do your homework before committing to the project.
Correct.

Nuts. The whole concept is nutty. Not for the intended end result of the original OP.

By the time a used school bus goes for sale or auction - the life of vehicle is quite worn out. That's just the naked school bus.

Then to rip it apart and add expensive components is also nutty. Note: one sees similar projects half done on ebay and craigslist. Trying to dump a money pit.

This project is not a hobby for the OP. Any hobby is good. People should have hobbies.

The OP is seeking a place to live. A moving home. Attempting to get there on the cheap with zero knowledge of this type of project.

Join the US Air Force and get free housing and get paid to boot ! Or just stay home and save money.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWhit View Post
I have decided to buy a School Bus to convert into a full-time home so I can get out of the basement and...
If that includes moving where you have suitable weather for 12months... still reconsider.
So... Move out? You bet! Convert a bus to an RV to do it? No way.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Thumbs up A trailer you can tow has less to go wrong than a bus or RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
If you look around, I believe you will find a used trailer, 5th wheel or even a properly maintained motorhome will be much less expensive. Even if you find something that needs some work, at least it will already have a majority of the major components installed.
Agreed -- OP would be much better served buying a quality used "Travel Trailer" and a reliable tow vehicle.

By starting with a functional and roadworthy tow-able, he can direct all his time and effort into upgrading the trailer systems and amenities.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:28 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Agreed -- OP would be much better served buying a quality used "Travel Trailer" and a reliable tow vehicle.

By starting with a functional and roadworthy tow-able, he can direct all his time and effort into upgrading the trailer systems and amenities.
All of the discussion so far is about HOW to convert a school bus or suggestions to obtain a used motor home or trailer.

NO Discussion associated with WHERE OP plans to park this "motor home". Lot rental fees. Fuel costs. Insurance. Zoning. And on and on.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post NH towns frown upon living in a "motor home" on your current lot, or anywhere not zoned as an RV park

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
NO Discussion associated with WHERE OP plans to park this "motor home".
NH towns generally do not allow "motor home" living in an area zoned residential, and are quick to go after anybody using a detached dwelling unit (on wheels or not) on the same lot as their current house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Lot rental fees. Fuel costs. Insurance. Zoning. And on and on.
Those are no fun; we'll let Jonathan deal with those sort of stage 2 headaches. when he gets there

Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
I did mention some of that back in my first post in addition to the fact that the age of the unit can be a very real factor as well for some legal rv parks. How well a home conversion would be received....well, that's a whole 'nuther deal. Restrictions on mobile living abound throughout the country.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:09 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Try reading here: Bus Conversions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire