Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 4,841 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am working in MA (greater Boston area) and found out that buying a house in a decent area is very difficult; it is so expensive...for what you'd get.

Would you be so kind to share your experience in moving to NH from MA?
Where would you look if your primary concern is to get to Logan Airport?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:35 AM

2,680 posts, read 2,644,843 times
Keep in mind, MA has income tax, most of NH has a high property tax rate. If you live in NH and work in MA you get to pay both

If getting a job in NH is an option, I'd look into that if you're interested in moving to NH. That would allow you to get a house outside of the Boston commute area, which would enable you to live in less expensive housing areas as well.

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,047,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobos1001 View Post
Hi,

I am working in MA (greater Boston area) and found out that buying a house in a decent area is very difficult; it is so expensive...for what you'd get.
Cheaper to move to Lynn, MA in the long run. And Lynn has public transportation.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:30 PM

71 posts, read 69,790 times
My wife and I are both retired and we moved from the Northshore (in MA) to Wakefield, NH. We've been here going on five years and enjoy living here. We purchased a nice home on one and half acres for what I would consider a very reasonable price (by MA standards). If you're looking for peace and quiet, Wakefield, NH and its surrounding towns will fill the bill.

In regard to traveling to Logan Airport, plan on it taking you about two (+/-) hours from the Wakefield, NH area. The good part is that the drive will be all highway driving... from Wakefield right to the airport. However, I think it would be quicker to fly out of Manchester Airport if you could get the flights that you're after.

The only draw back that I found about moving to this area was that almost everything was 20-40 minutes away from my home. (That bothers the wife, as she likes to go shopping for something to do.) Other than that, I find that I am pleased with my decision to move out of Massachusetts and north to New Hampshire... to an area where the people are very friendly and don't appear to be consumed by the rat race that takes place in Massachusetts.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:44 PM

385 posts, read 347,706 times
I'm in the same area as NEBeachcomber and you have a few options for airports.
1. If you must go to Logan, you can take the shuttle from Dover directly to the airport. Free parking and they have hourly departures.
2. Go out of Manchester, which is about an hour and a half away from Ossipee, more convenient further south.
3. Go out of Portland, Maine airport which is about 1 hr 15 minutes away and a very pleasant drive. (My airport of choice if I can get the right flights.)

Knock on wood, I've had no trouble getting to any of these places in the winter; NH takes very good care of their roads in my experience (everywhere I've needed to go), and Maine seems to do a good job as well, at least the route to the airport.

Old 12-18-2019, 09:39 AM

101 posts, read 97,379 times
If you’re looking to move to nh to save on housing, don’t do it. If you work in MA but live in NH you’ll pay MA’s income tax and NH property tax. The list price of a house may be lower but it will be a wash.

Also, you’ll spend more on gas and put more miles on your car, so plan for that.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:21 PM

199 posts, read 182,840 times
I prefer to fly out of MHT instead of BOS. The traffic in and out of BOS is horrendous. I usually only fly out of BOS Dec-Mar, because with direct flights there is less chance of flight changes and cancelations due to winter weather. (The places I fly to, there are no direct flights from MHT, and winter layovers in cities around the Great Lakes can cause problems for me.) Parking, security and navigating terminals at MHT is a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire