Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 09:01 AM

101 posts, read 96,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
as someone else said, MA is better for you
Not true, why the hell would you work in NH and live in MA? MA is much more $$ than NH.

Look into Dover and Portsmouth as others recommended, Nashua may also be appealing due to it's awesome proximity to everything MA has to offer as well as NH.

Last edited by whippany5; 01-13-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-13-2020, 10:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,013,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredfern View Post
I'm pretty politically opinionated and love being involved in organizing and social justice activities

Thanks!
Well, welcome.

For your political orientation. Stick to the large cities. Portsmouth, Manchester, Nashua.

Or pick a college town such as Durham, Plymouth, Keene.

For a rural town with zero stores - Sandwich, NH. Lot's of Subaru's there.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 AM

21,701 posts, read 12,859,764 times
Lowell, MA

Old 01-15-2020, 12:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Lowell, MA

Man, I'd rather live in MA too, but it really makes no sense to pay income tax in Mass when you are working in NH, IMO.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,635,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Man, I'd rather live in MA too, but it really makes no sense to pay income tax in Mass when you are working in NH, IMO.
For people with a high income, lack of an income tax makes a big difference, because the income tax is larger than what would likely be paid through any other type of taxes. For everyone else, it isn't as big of a deal. States collect taxes to provide services, and they're going to get that money from you by some means.

What does matter is how much states spend. The more they spend, the more they have to collect from you in taxes.

The problem with people wanting an income tax in new Hampshire is it's a ruse to raise taxes and spending overall. Just look at Connecticut. Before creating an income tax, Connecticut had a reasonable tax burden. Now, they have one of the highest tax burdens, people and businesses are fleeing, and they're in serious danger of defaulting on their massive debt. If New Hampshire takes the same path, it will end in the same place.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
For people with a high income, lack of an income tax makes a big difference, because the income tax is larger than what would likely be paid through any other type of taxes. For everyone else, it isn't as big of a deal. States collect taxes to provide services, and they're going to get that money from you by some means

What does matter is how much states spend. The more they spend, the more they have to collect from you in taxes.

Except property taxes is their main vehicle to collect in NH, and nevertheless, more likely than not rents will be lower there too.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:02 AM

11 posts, read 4,616 times
Nashua, Dover, Portsmouth, Manchester, and Concord are NH's "big cities"
Having lived in NH for 50 years I would suggest a quiet town located close to I93
Get yourself a place on 5 or 6 acres
You did not specify if you were renting or buying.I grew up in the center of the state, just north of Concord. You can still rent a farmhouse with acreage for around $1,500/month. Cheaper the further north you go
I currently live in an apartment that was formally a condo. Small, 26x26, but I bought for under 20K and my property taxes are just over $500/year. Where are you going to find that in Mass?

Old 01-16-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy03101 View Post
Nashua, Dover, Portsmouth, Manchester, and Concord are NH's "big cities"
Having lived in NH for 50 years I would suggest a quiet town located close to I93
Get yourself a place on 5 or 6 acres
You did not specify if you were renting or buying.I grew up in the center of the state, just north of Concord. You can still rent a farmhouse with acreage for around $1,500/month. Cheaper the further north you go
I currently live in an apartment that was formally a condo. Small, 26x26, but I bought for under 20K and my property taxes are just over $500/year. Where are you going to find that in Mass?
Good lord, 5 or 6 acres? Maybe that is possible north of concord, but seacoast/southern nh that will be nearly $1 million.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I think Crazy Dave is right, Ma. will be better . With your yearning for social Justus causes Massachusetts would defiantly be belter.
This is false. If anything NH is a more politically involved state!

Old 01-16-2020, 12:14 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,547,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippany5 View Post
Not true, why the hell would you work in NH and live in MA? MA is much more $$ than NH.

Look into Dover and Portsmouth as others recommended, Nashua may also be appealing due to it's awesome proximity to everything MA has to offer as well as NH.
I wasn't suggesting she live in NH and work in MA, I was suggesting she move to MA based on what she wrote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire