Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,186 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I recently accepted a job in New Hampshire at an organization that has offices throughout the state, and I am trying to decide where to go. I'm a law student in Boston at the moment, and I know a few people who decided to continue living in the Boston area and commute to NH (mostly people who work in Nashua) but I'm not sure what would work best for me.

I'm a 25-year-old single woman; I'm pretty introverted and like doing chill activities like cooking, baking, reading, listening to podcasts, and going for walks; I'm pretty politically opinionated and love being involved in organizing and social justice activities; I'm not a big fan of going out to bars/clubs (I don't drink much) but I do enjoy dancing and listening to live music & comedy from time to time.

Honestly though I'm going to be very busy during my first year as a new attorney, so I don't expect to get out much. Just looking for a place with a good amount of cool young people I can make friends with and a good sense of community.

I've been doing some research on NH and so far Nashua, Portsmouth, and Dover stick out as potential options. Maybe Manchester too but I've seen mixed reviews. I could also try and stay in Mass./closer to the Boston area, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be financially, and I really don't know much about the areas surrounding Boston.

I have a good amount of time to make a decision and I plan on visiting some towns, but I just wanted to post here and see what advice I get! Where would you recommend for a young, single woman just starting out real adult life?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2020, 01:31 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,634,088 times
I suspect you'll find the atmosphere you want in Mass. If it were me, I'd get an apartment there near the border and try it for a year.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:51 PM

174 posts, read 232,638 times
Just remember you have no state income tax in NH and would have to pay MA taxes plus the commute time and gas costs. The NH seacoast area has a lot to offer as well as Nashua. Lived in Nashua for 13 years and my wife commuted to Boston for 6 of those years before her company opened in Merrimack NH it was not a fun drive to Boston. I would go back and live in either Nashua or seacoast can't go wrong as there are opportunities to do things in both areas plus NH is not that big and you can go almost anywhere within and hour +.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:00 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,634,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINH View Post
Just remember you have no state income tax in NH and would have to pay MA taxes plus the commute time and gas costs. The NH seacoast area has a lot to offer as well as Nashua. Lived in Nashua for 13 years and my wife commuted to Boston for 6 of those years before her company opened in Merrimack NH it was not a fun drive to Boston. I would go back and live in either Nashua or seacoast can't go wrong as there are opportunities to do things in both areas plus NH is not that big and you can go almost anywhere within and hour +.
That's all very true. But, focusing on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredfern View Post
Just looking for a place with a good amount of cool young people I can make friends with [...]
Portsmouth is probably the closest thing to what the OP is looking for in NH. The data I can find says the median age in Portsmouth is 40.3 years. In Boston it's 30.8 years.

I love NH, more good things about it than I can write here. But given what the OP indicates she is looking for right now, I'm not sure NH is the best fit.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 AM

1,748 posts, read 882,911 times
If you are needing to commute to Boston from NH, there is a trailways bus that runs from Portsmouth to Boston every hour or so (less frequently on holidays and weekends). I know it stops at Logan and North/South Stations. Not sure about any other stops in Boston but the T is right there at those stops. It also stops in Newburyport Mass. on the way down, so Newburyport might be an option.

Portsmouth has everything you are looking for, including live music, the Prescott Park Arts Festival in the summer (live theater and music), great restaurants, 10 minute drive to the beach, etc.

If you aren't going to be working or schooling in Mass. then you definately want to be in NH. No sales tax, no income tax, cheaper insurance, etc. And if you want to spend a day in Boston, it's only an hour drive if it's not commuting time.

I never much cared for Dover when I lived there but that was in the 1980s so it's changed a bit since then I'm sure. Portsmouth I still go back to visit friends every year and it's changed over time, but still good.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:22 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,706,076 times
Dover & Portsmouth are definitely the ones you want to look at (maybe Durham or Exeter). Or live in Dover, go to Portsmouth for the events if Dover doesn't have it going - that's what we all did growing up and such. So much to do and a very central location.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:13 PM

12,530 posts, read 9,625,539 times
Original Poster: I would second your proposal of Doe-vah, and make occasional field trips to Durham, Newmarket, Exeter, Portsmouth and Kittery... seacoast NH is a beautiful area with lots going on as well as plenty of great outdoor activities...

Old 01-08-2020, 05:19 AM

70 posts, read 70,680 times
I second (or third) Dover. Much more affordable than Portsmouth. It has a good downtown and a fair number of young people (influenced by UNH). Still easy to get to Boston, the beach, the lake, and the mountains.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:21 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,547,168 times
as someone else said, MA is better for you

Old 01-11-2020, 02:18 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,890,462 times
I think Crazy Dave is right, Ma. will be better . With your yearning for social Justus causes Massachusetts would defiantly be belter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire