Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 03:01 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,551,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
The CDC is advising people to monitor information from public health officials regularly and to make sensible changes in their behavior so as to protect both themselves and others in their communities, and thereby head off a major epidemic here. These are very serious people and they are *not* sensationalizing things.

So far, in terms of what we know, the prevalence is still quite low in the US. A little over 800 cases and 28 deaths in the US. But this is a developing situation, i.e. it's going to get worse before it gets better. It's far better to get out in front of this than to be behind the curve, because the disease is in some ways like a wildfire - once it gets to be a certain size, you'll lose the ability to control it. To the extent that we can limit its ultimate propagation, or even just slow down the propagation to occur over the course of a year instead of a month, we'll also limit the mortality.
common sense, I like that far better than rabid paranoia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 06:51 PM

12,624 posts, read 9,765,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
common sense, I like that far better than rabid paranoia
Thanks, here is a diagram that may help to explain more clearly than I could with words. We don't have a vaccine for Covid-19, so we can't confer immunity to people, which implies that actually stopping propagation will be difficult to impossible.

By taking mitigation measures, like cancelling large public gatherings, social distancing, hand-washing, etc, we can shift the disease propagation behavior from something like the first, red curve (rapid progression), to the second, gray curve (slow progression).

The second process has two big advantages:
- The peak occurs later in time, giving officials more time to plan, organize, make preparations and build capacity
- The peak occurs with fewer cases per day, allowing those who need help from a hospital, like the elderly, people with diabetes, COPD, heart failure, etc,to be handled within the finite capacity of our healthcare system to absorb them, thereby greatly reducing mortality

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-11-2020 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 09:59 PM
KCZ

4,690 posts, read 3,704,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Thanks, here is a diagram that may help to explain more clearly than I could with words. We don't have a vaccine for Covid-19, so we can't confer immunity to people, which implies that actually stopping propagation will be difficult to impossible.

By taking mitigation measures, like cancelling large public gatherings, social distancing, hand-washing, etc, we can shift the disease propagation behavior from something like the first, red curve (rapid progression), to the second, gray curve (slow progression).

The second process has two big advantages:
- The peak occurs later in time, giving officials more time to plan, organize, make preparations and build capacity
- The peak occurs with fewer cases per day, allowing those who need help from a hospital, like the elderly, people with diabetes, COPD, heart failure, etc,to be handled within the finite capacity of our healthcare system to absorb them, thereby greatly reducing mortality

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/10/211714...e-cancellation

Old 03-12-2020, 12:10 PM
KCZ

Case #6 "Officials said the patient is an adult man from Rockingham County who traveled to multiple countries in Europe. He self-isolated when he returned to New Hampshire and called a doctor after developing symptoms.Other people in the man's house have self-quarantined, officials said."
https://www.wmur.com/article/6th-per...id-19/31437469

Old 03-12-2020, 07:31 PM

The more they saturate the news with this the more I see the way we are being played by the media. What are we, three weeks in? I have yet to come into direct or indirect contact with anyone who has anything remotely like this virus. Yet they have folks already closing up sporting events, schools, churches.. sigh.

I am guessing if and when martial law comes, everyone is gonna be a good little sheep right? Word of advice, have your papers in order.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:22 AM

346 posts, read 359,946 times
Quote:
The more they saturate the news with this the more I see the way we are being played by the media. What are we, three weeks in? I have yet to come into direct or indirect contact with anyone who has anything remotely like this virus. Yet they have folks already closing up sporting events, schools, churches.. sigh.

I am guessing if and when martial law comes, everyone is gonna be a good little sheep right? Word of advice, have your papers in order.
I found this site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ it has all the latest information on the virus plus
any other statistic you might want there's a whole section health. I talked to several random people in my town, every single person thought it the world was blowing this out of proportion. Time will tell who's right or wrong.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:22 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,069,253 times
Quote:

have your papers in order.

Judging from the idiocy on social media, folks are struggling to get their toilet paper in order.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Judging from the idiocy on social media, folks are struggling to get their toilet paper in order.
I can get some high grade 4 ply for two hundred a roll

Old 03-13-2020, 05:54 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,414,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativenewenglander View Post
I found this site https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ it has all the latest information on the virus plus
any other statistic you might want there's a whole section health. I talked to several random people in my town, every single person thought it the world was blowing this out of proportion. Time will tell who's right or wrong.

China stopped reporting their numbers last week - so much for clarity. Since it started there = is it really a naturally occuring disease or lab created that got loose?

The fear mongers have won.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:29 AM
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
China stopped reporting their numbers last week - so much for clarity. Since it started there = is it really a naturally occuring disease or lab created that got loose?

The fear mongers have won.

Research done by multiple sources shows that this is not a lab-created disease. Like many other emerging diseases, it originated in bats and was transmitted to some as-yet unidentified animal host which ended up in China's open meat markets. So if you want to blame somebody, blame the bats or the Chinese agricultural officials who permit markets like that, but not the Chinese labs.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...cle_references
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire