Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:43 AM

199 posts, read 183,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, I'd say Portsmouth is very progressive. It's a rich town, trendy town with expensive shops in the downtown and cutesy restaurants. They have a great theater, an incredible park, and always something happening. In the rest of southern NH you get a mixture of hateful people and more reasonable people and the farther north you go in the state, the more Red it gets until it's just about all red. Some of the people can be really nasty and mean spirited, lots of guns and gun shops all over the place, and they like it that way.
Hahaha this is simultaneously one of the most inaccurate and judgmental posts to ever grace the NH CD forms.

I've lived in five states and driven all over this country many times, and the people of NH are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I've rarely interacted with a hateful stranger in all of NH, and never interacted with a hateful stranger in the northern and rural parts of NH. Similarly, to date I can't recall any interactions with "nasty and mean spirited" people in the northern part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM

795 posts, read 489,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Again its hard for me to take sympathy for a certain side that literally has a leader (Well Supported, too) that is racist, homophobic, xenophobic and transphobic. Thats not a fair comparison to make. Loses all credibility once you attack on rights of others. I stay moderate in most countries' political parties, but the Conservative party in the US seems to have an alternative motive.

Yeah nasty and deep red, didnt see that... kind of skimmed over that and just read hateful. However, Im going to go out on a limb and say he was talking moreso Trumpsters rather actual conservatives. Because there is a stark difference between the two groups. One group hates and offends; the other does not to that etreme.

Im not a democrat either. No political party in America represents what I see. I just see a lot of hate from one group of people (Not Political Party). But I see a lot of anger from the Blue too directed at those people, which is an endless circle of games. But the two parties, and the new party, seem to live peacefully in NH.

I understand what you're saying. I also think the leader running for President on the Democratic side is a racist, but should I lump everyone that votes for him as "Mean and nasty"? It seems we've come to a point in society where it's okay to stereotype certain people for who they vote for while condemning stereotypes against others, that is hypocrisy at it's finest. Nobody should be stereotyping anybody else (by skin, religion, politics, sexuality, etc.). I am getting tired of seeing those decent ideologies being thrown out the door the minute people cherry pick to fit their thinking and denounce it when it goes against them.

Nobody should stereotype - but what I'm seeing is that it's okay to stereotype someone and label them all as racist if they vote red, are LEGAL gun owners or are police officers... Otherwise you cannot stereotype at all. It's a hypocritical message...

Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM

352 posts, read 229,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
In the real world, thats a moderate stance.. not a 'liberal' stance. (?)
Is this what you're referring to as "not a liberal stance"?

Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
"In the rest of southern NH you get a mixture of hateful people and more reasonable people and the farther north you go in the state, the more Red it gets until it's just about all red. Some of the people can be really nasty and mean spirited, lots of guns and gun shops all over the place, and they like it that way."

If so, wow! That explains a lot.

Just because someone doesn't match your personal views does not make them (as you say) "racist, homophobic, xenophobic and transphobic" based on YOUR interpretations.

This thread is really bringing out some interesting responses attempting to justify their own hatred.

Some people need to self-reflect more often.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:47 PM

5,989 posts, read 2,923,594 times
I live as far North as you can get in New Hampshire.. In the NH forum I see Many derogatory statements by posters who don't even live in New Hampshire,,,,,Right moderator.

Last edited by ben young; 07-07-2020 at 03:03 PM..

Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,853,293 times
Just popped in to hear more about Portsmouth and I see I've become a topic of conversation.

I lived for five years on the MA/NH border and although I love NH, some of their residents that I ran into were pretty mean and crude. They are probably the followers of the current President. On our town forum, they would chime in with their nasty remarks. If you don't agree with them, you are called a "commie." That behavior did not endear me to those NH residents--and there are a lot like that.

I am probably a moderate Democrat and would find Portsmouth a little too liberal for me. Definitely places in MA like Cambridge are too liberal for me. That leaves me out of the extreme radical left, which is just as crazy as the extreme radical right.

I dislike guns but I think for hunting they're fine. I just don't like the idea of knowing that people are walking around in public carrying guns. I have a right to feel safe from their guns. And I remember my dad telling me how when he was a little kid in NH, a friend of his took a gun, put it into his mouth and was going to prove that it wasn't loaded. Of course it was loaded and the kid died right there in front of my dad. My dad never went near a gun in his entire life after that.

So guns and gun shops aren't something I'm comfortable with. Therefore I don't live in NH. I also don't like nuclear power plants on the beach and being called a "commie" or a "m*******."

BTW, I am a She , not a He, and I also think the camping is better in VT. The shopping is better in NH.

Oh, as a moderator I can believe whatever I choose to believe and I am free to express those beliefs when I am posting as myself, as I am now. When I am posting in RED, I am not posting as myself and I am neutral and try as much as possible to be fair. You shouldn't judge the moderators on CD by what they post when they are being themselves, expressing their own beliefs. When they put their mod hat on, they are usually pretty fair and just.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 AM

121 posts, read 110,111 times
I posted on the first page as the second post and wanted to add a little more personal information to explain why some people may view the people of New Hampshire as "mean and nasty". I moved to New Hampshire about 6 months ago and previously had thought that everyone seemed so nice prior to moving here. Fast forward 6 months later and I don't necessarily feel the same way. I am a liberal Democrat from NY but i'm not out here shoving my politics in anyone's face.

I welcome the "Live Free or Die" motto. I am quiet and keep to myself and my family most of the time. But here I am at work feeling mostly outcasted by hearing people around me call liberals "snowflakes" and democrats "idiots" and "morons" while here I am as a educated person who has served my country and shouldn't feel any less important....I have not identified one person in my workplace in 6 months as someone that shares similar ideologies which has never happened in my almost 40 years of life living all over the United States.

I showed up 6 months ago with a smile in my face and motivation to help everyone out and people barely talk to me here. Everyone in my neighborhood keeps to themselves even after I went out of my way to give them all gift baskets upon moving in and introduce ourselves. One of my neighbors who I didn't get a chance to meet introduced herself and then complained about a fire in our yard asking if we had permits and it wasn't allowed (which I had a permit for and had already called the fire department to log). So I get it with what the moderator is saying and yes, some forum members are very crude when responding on political commentary or issues related to the state/town.

I'm not going to say that everyone falls into the same category in New Hampshire as that would be stereotyping but my experiences have not been overly positive so far. If you are Republican and Conservative that is fine by me but calling people names isn't a good look from outsiders. I consider myself very rational even if I have very left leanings and anyone who spoke to me in person should feel exactly the same way. Might be a good to start to not bad mouth an entire group of people either or else the cycle will continue on stereotyped views towards either side being "mean and nasty". My 2 cents and personal narrative if anyone cares.

Last edited by omega145; 07-08-2020 at 06:05 AM..

Old 07-08-2020, 07:39 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,923,594 times
Omega145,welcome to my state. You have found that most people of the north three states keep to themselvesand go about our busness without neighbord blockpartys,cookouts and social get togethers ,its the way we are.Unfrendly perhaps but not in a mean way. The neighbor who bitched at you is probley a Blowin from Mass.who then complains on here about the neighbors who are nosey and have fires and are rude.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 AM

88 posts, read 87,402 times
Ben...you are so right
I have a large wooded lot in the country with lots of fall leaves ,branches and occasional storm damage and been burning safely near my home for 40 years.It is a quiet,scenic road next to a large lake where residents and visitors like to walk
Nearly every year someone (always an out of state renter or tourist)freaks out at the sight of my fire and calls the local FD even though I have a permit posted.The FD pretty much laughs it off now....happens every year and my permit is always registered and posted.
City people are so used to being taken care of by city,state or federal government that the thought of a fire does not register in their brain as something normal.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:45 AM

121 posts, read 110,111 times
Except he isn't right because they are native New Hampshire residents

Old 07-08-2020, 05:04 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,075,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post

I welcome the "Live Free or Die" motto. I am quiet and keep to myself and my family most of the time. But here I am at work feeling mostly outcasted by hearing people around me call liberals "snowflakes" and democrats "idiots" and "morons" while here I am as a educated person who has served my country and shouldn't feel any less important....I have not identified one person in my workplace in 6 months as someone that shares similar ideologies which has never happened in my almost 40 years of life living all over the United States.

I too have lived all over the country and the world for the last 40+ years and I don't see that with any New England state. Well, except for Rhode Island-I don't like those people.

I typically find that when everyone else is the problem, I should perhaps reassess myself and to see if I am the one that is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: