Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2020, 03:30 PM

13 posts, read 11,901 times

Advertisements

I have moved my home search to nottingham NH. I have check and the house should have high speed internet. Does anyone know the area and have any thoughts. Any problems i should think about. Cell service etc.
thanks scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 08:02 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,696,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsgone View Post
I have moved my home search to nottingham NH. I have check and the house should have high speed internet. Does anyone know the area and have any thoughts. Any problems i should think about. Cell service etc.
thanks scott
It is a nice quiet safe area, close to Pawtuckaway State Park, halfway between the Seacoast and Concord. It is growing a bit faster than other areas, and has a population of over 5,000 now. Be aware that the property tax rate there has gone up a good bit over the past 5-10 years.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:49 PM

219 posts, read 367,358 times
We have lived in nottingham for 10 years. Have comcast internet, we get about 25 down, 6 up. There may be a better plan, not sure. Last I knew high speed internet was not available in several large areas of town. The tax rate may be deceptive, when we built nottigham had one of the lower rates in the state, then they reassessed, the rate went up but the taxes stayed about the same. With that said there have been a number of city folk move in that think the town should pave all the dirt roads and even build a high school. Moral is to check the actual tax history for the last decade on any house you are considering, not the town rate.

When we had att cell service it did not work at home and was very spotty elsewhere in town; switched to comcast (verizon) several years ago and it was good enough to get rid of home phone.

What else - there are a number of dirt roads that can be tricky in the spring, awd is a good idea. No trash pickup, dump is only open th/fr/sa and can get busy on saturday, mandatory recycling with around a dozen plus categories. No pizza delivery but the general store has take out and most essentials.

I work from home and my wife works in medicine, in other words we could easily relocate. If my wife wasnt tied to her hospital and my kids tied to the school we would move to the MWV but if I have to be 'stuck' in southern nh nottigham is the best I have found.

Any other questions let me know.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
We have lived in nottingham for 10 years. Have comcast internet, we get about 25 down, 6 up. There may be a better plan, not sure. Last I knew high speed internet was not available in several large areas of town. The tax rate may be deceptive, when we built nottigham had one of the lower rates in the state, then they reassessed, the rate went up but the taxes stayed about the same. With that said there have been a number of city folk move in that think the town should pave all the dirt roads and even build a high school. Moral is to check the actual tax history for the last decade on any house you are considering, not the town rate.

When we had att cell service it did not work at home and was very spotty elsewhere in town; switched to comcast (verizon) several years ago and it was good enough to get rid of home phone.

What else - there are a number of dirt roads that can be tricky in the spring, awd is a good idea. No trash pickup, dump is only open th/fr/sa and can get busy on saturday, mandatory recycling with around a dozen plus categories. No pizza delivery but the general store has take out and most essentials.

I work from home and my wife works in medicine, in other words we could easily relocate. If my wife wasnt tied to her hospital and my kids tied to the school we would move to the MWV but if I have to be 'stuck' in southern nh nottigham is the best I have found.

Any other questions let me know.
Ill add on to this, Moved to Nottingham in 2017, its a great town in a great location, unfortunately its ripe for development and im sure taxes will continue to rise. my taxes have already gone up 1800 bucks in 3 years and I get absolutely NOTHING for my money (no trash pickup, horrible cell service, unreliable power grid). on top of that the town which has maintained our road for 50 years is even threatening to stop maintaining (plowing and grading) And no, I dont want the road paved, I just want the maintenance that the town had set an expectation of. I mean 11,000 bucks a year must get me something right?

Small town drama at its finest... If you want a good representation of Nottingham, there is about 10 town facebook pages you can join to see all the drama....

Old 07-08-2020, 02:53 PM

13 posts, read 11,901 times
Thanks. The taxes are very high compared to what we are used to. Finding a house in the covit era is proving to be terrible. By time i ask you about a spot the house is sold. I have checked ever site and so many realters it would make you puke.
I am looking for a home with the following features; would prefer to be under or at 400.000 but can go higher
Updated or modern move in ready home 4 Bed-3 baths with in-law suit or even better, a separate dwelling for my son. I would prefer a ranch but I need at least one master bed/bath on ground floor if multi floor.
Need a large outbuilding or buildings for shop and storage. I have a lot of stuff to move and store.
I would like as much wooded acreage as possible or backed up to enough acres as I would like to be able to shoot target practice on my land if acceptable. The home must be close enough to stores and hospitals, town, etc and it must be able to receive high speed internet cable. I will give up on the acreage for the high speed internet cable as my son cannot live without it and most rural spots not have it as you know. Maybe you can find the one for me. As you may guess all I need is the building and land but I have a lot of people to care for. Anywhere in southern NH would be fine. If you know of a place that comes close please let me know. Thank you very much i want to live my remaining years in a state that, for now, respects the right to own a firearm.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:59 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,637,995 times
Does it have to be southern NH? If that's flexible maybe Littleton would work for you. New London is also nice, though it isn't southern NH either.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:10 PM

219 posts, read 367,358 times
No point being in SE NH if you do not need access to work. Just spent a couple of minutes on realtor.com and the best I could find in NH

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-42178?view=qv

Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
No point being in SE NH if you do not need access to work. Just spent a couple of minutes on realtor.com and the best I could find in NH

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-42178?view=qv
I'm so glad that we bought our place six years ago. The current market is very difficult to find a good property that is reasonably priced.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:20 PM

7,992 posts, read 3,522,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsgone View Post
Thanks. The taxes are very high compared to what we are used to. Finding a house in the covit era is proving to be terrible. By time i ask you about a spot the house is sold. I have checked ever site and so many realters it would make you puke.
I am looking for a home with the following features; would prefer to be under or at 400.000 but can go higher
Updated or modern move in ready home 4 Bed-3 baths with in-law suit or even better, a separate dwelling for my son. I would prefer a ranch but I need at least one master bed/bath on ground floor if multi floor.
Need a large outbuilding or buildings for shop and storage. I have a lot of stuff to move and store.
I would like as much wooded acreage as possible or backed up to enough acres as I would like to be able to shoot target practice on my land if acceptable. The home must be close enough to stores and hospitals, town, etc and it must be able to receive high speed internet cable. I will give up on the acreage for the high speed internet cable as my son cannot live without it and most rural spots not have it as you know. Maybe you can find the one for me. As you may guess all I need is the building and land but I have a lot of people to care for. Anywhere in southern NH would be fine. If you know of a place that comes close please let me know. Thank you very much i want to live my remaining years in a state that, for now, respects the right to own a firearm.
Keep an eye out on November's election then. If Sununu loses this may not be a gun friendly state for long. Right now the democrats control the state congress, and they are an aggressive breed of democrat looking to make changes this state has been resistant to until now. Things you used to only hear about happening "over there in the crazy states" are showing up in bills here in NH now. Sununu being governor is the only thing holding them at bay right now.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:55 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,499,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Ill add on to this, Moved to Nottingham in 2017, its a great town in a great location, unfortunately its ripe for development and im sure taxes will continue to rise. my taxes have already gone up 1800 bucks in 3 years and I get absolutely NOTHING for my money (no trash pickup, horrible cell service, unreliable power grid). on top of that the town which has maintained our road for 50 years is even threatening to stop maintaining (plowing and grading) And no, I dont want the road paved, I just want the maintenance that the town had set an expectation of. I mean 11,000 bucks a year must get me something right?

Small town drama at its finest... If you want a good representation of Nottingham, there is about 10 town facebook pages you can join to see all the drama....

Update, Nottingham tax assessments just came in, nearly the entire town is reporting their assessment went up 20-25%, my assessment went up 110K!!!

Sure hope they drop the tax rate.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire