Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 11:33 AM

9,946 posts, read 7,320,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
They can live at home with the parents, then inherit their parents' home. NH has a real problem with out of staters from MA and other states buying up our housing stock in a COVID induced panic.

Otherwise, those young adults can always move away to ME and other states, then move back later on if they wish. The fact is that Americans have the freedom to move around, and who wants to live in the same place all of their lives? Young people should take the time to explore the world and have new experiences. Maybe we'd not be having as much of a substance abuse crisis if more people who move away for a while, instead of feeling trapped in their hometown with no other options in their lives.
So I as a 56 YO carpenter/plumber/welder/electrician should live with my 85 YO parents until they die? And it still doesn't answer the question - what am I going to build if we aren't building any more housing. Don't say commercial because there won't be a need for any of those new buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 01:07 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,721,933 times
All of those trades are welcome to come to my home and fix the myriad of things that need attention. We don't have enough plumbers, electricians, appliance repair people, etc to take care of the current population, at least in northern NH. And all of the ones I've dealt with in the past would have benefited from some STEM education.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:43 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,552,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I've been looking on Zillow and Realtor.com for houses on a few acres mostly in Hillsborough and Cheshire Counties and I've noticed that the asking prices have gone way up. It's not a favorable time to buy. I blame the Federal Reserve for this. They've knocked down 30 mortgage rates to 2.99% allowing realtors to jack up asking prices and more families to qualify for big mortgages. Too bad.
The people create market values, not RE agents. However, low interest rates attract buyers. “It’s only worth what someone is willing to pay”

Old 08-31-2020, 03:44 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,274,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
So I as a 56 YO carpenter/plumber/welder/electrician should live with my 85 YO parents until they die? And it still doesn't answer the question - what am I going to build if we aren't building any more housing. Don't say commercial because there won't be a need for any of those new buildings.
Why didn't you buy a house years ago? Six years ago, when I moved up to NH, there was plenty of selection and the prices were reasonable. Unfortunately, in the last few years, the market heated up.

Otherwise, in many traditional immigrant families, it is common for there to be several generations living under one roof. Our current American society seems to prefer to ship their elderly family members off to senior living. If you are that handy, then build an addition to your parents' house. Add an in-law suite or make it into a 2-family. Later on, when it's your house, rent out the side you aren't living in or convert it into a larger single family house.

Or buy a condo.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:59 PM

4,579 posts, read 5,712,391 times
Lightbulb ADU is a good option if you have the space on your lot.

Quote:
Otherwise, in many traditional immigrant families, it is common for there to be several generations living under one roof. Our current American society seems to prefer to ship their elderly family members off to senior living. If you are that handy, then build an addition to your parents' house. Add an in-law suite or make it into a 2-family. Later on, when it's your house, rent out the side you aren't living in or convert it into a larger single family house.
In-law suite is a good option if you have the space on your lot.

Back in 2017, NH passed the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) law (RSA 674:71-73) requiring municipalities to allow internal or attached accessory dwelling units in all zoning districts where single-family dwellings are permitted. Towns may choose to permit detached ADUs (like a MiL apartment above a freestanding garage).

Old 08-31-2020, 05:37 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,061,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
In-law suite is a good option if you have the space on your lot.

Back in 2017, NH passed the Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) law (RSA 674:71-73) requiring municipalities to allow internal or attached accessory dwelling units in all zoning districts where single-family dwellings are permitted. Towns may choose to permit detached ADUs (like a MiL apartment above a freestanding garage).
Are you adding a bedroom? If so, you many need a new septic design and a new septic system. If no city sewer system in your town. So now one has the cost of this "addition" and the cost of a new septic system. All sounds real good on paper.

Good Luck with that !

Old 09-01-2020, 07:17 AM

9,946 posts, read 7,320,485 times
Quote:
Why didn't you buy a house years ago? Six years ago, when I moved up to NH, there was plenty of selection and the prices were reasonable. Unfortunately, in the last few years, the market heated up.

Or buy a condo.
You're missing the point. If you stop residential growth as you want, there won't be any jobs for those young adults going into the trades.

BTW, your moving to NH 6 years ago is part of the growth you are railing against.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,274,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You're missing the point. If you stop residential growth as you want, there won't be any jobs for those young adults going into the trades.
Wrong. Our population is older, eventually there will be housing available due to seniors passing or going into rest homes. And there will always be plenty of work because of the older housing stock we have.

Quote:
BTW, your moving to NH 6 years ago is part of the growth you are railing against.
Not really. We bought an older home, not new construction. In addition, we are a permanently childless couple, so we are a net positive for our town's tax coffers, not a drain on its resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: