Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 04:48 PM

607 posts, read 2,369,366 times

Advertisements

Really thinking of relocating back to NH from the west coast. Travelled a little bit through the state going to Maine. Really found the state beautiful. For a family of 5, high school thru college, I’m curious what would be the biggest challenge for us? Would be leaving Northern CA. Things that we’ve enjoyed out west were climate and 4 seasons, access to good schools, small town feel. What should we expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 07:08 PM

199 posts, read 181,471 times
How long did you live in NH for? And what year did you leave?

Old 08-27-2020, 10:56 PM

Never lived there but have relatives in New England.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:27 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Never lived there but have relatives in New England.

I think your OP saying "back to NH" threw some folks off.

Where is your family located and do you want to be in the same state?

What do you do for a living and does the job translate to a New England business?

What are you looking to get out of this move? Less of Kalifornia(the state that ruined gas cans forever), a change of scenery, what?

You're going to have the 4 seasons, small towns, and decent school access throughout most of northern New England, some of western Mass as well. As a note, I don't really know what a "small town feel" is. There are plenty of small towns though.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:26 PM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Both places have 4 seasons, but unless you're in the CA mountains, winter here is going to be a shock, partly because of the snow and cold but more due to the length and darkness of it.

What do you consider a "small town"? We have "cities" here with a population of 12-15K.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:24 AM

Small towns of less than 10K would be teriffic. I currently live in Northern CA in the "Gold country" in a town of 2k. What's wrong with CA.....the list would be shorter to say what's right with CA. Job would be the biggest challenge, but believe I could make that work. Weather is important and would like to find that region that offers some of the 4 seasons. Would like a town that has a compact downtown that is easy to walk through, not spread out where a car would have to take you from end to end. If anyone has pictures of the downtown streets, that would be neat to see. And we would want good schools and medical facilities within a reasonable distance.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Post Living in NH without a winter-rated car would not be a good time

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Small towns of less than 10K would be teriffic. .... Job would be the biggest challenge, but believe I could make that work. Weather is important and would like to find that region that offers some of the 4 seasons. Would like a town that has a compact downtown that is easy to walk through, not spread out where a car would have to take you from end to end. If anyone has pictures of the downtown streets, that would be neat to see. And we would want good schools and medical facilities within a reasonable distance.
Of the towns of less than 10k, for the ones that even have a downtown, "compact" is a generous adjective to describe a main street that is shorter than my driveway.

That said, you really need to own a car (with all wheel drive) to live in a small town in New Hampshire, usually towns are spread out enough that you wouldn't want to regularly walk to "downtown".

Old 08-30-2020, 11:25 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,313 times
So I'm that guy that the meme "I had fun once-I hated it" is directed towards.

I really don't get the walkable downtown desire in New England. Towns are too spread out and you're probably going to have to drive to this walkable downtown to begin with.

The town I live in has about 300 meters of walking with a post office, a realtor, a marina, some sort of store, and a restaurant. The one just south of me is the same size with a restaurant, two stores, and a bank. Other smallish(big to me)towns like Plymouth(college town) and Littleton(tourist trap, but in a good way) have walkable downtowns with multiple restaurants and shops.

OP, you're going to have to take a trip and see what floats your boat. Do some map recon via google earth and then drive around. Grab a laminated map and some dry erase markers or alcohol pens and circle the areas you like. Go home after seeing the state and do some more research. If you choose to move, I recommend renting before buying as buying from a distance is something of a pain and can lock you in something you may not be totally happy with.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:16 PM

So it seems many of the towns/cities we've driven through between NH and ME are spread out with downtown businesses. What towns would be good places to focus on for looking to start home searches. The best thing about the town we currently live in out west is the weather here has 4 seasons and very beautiful during the year. A house with a couple of acres would be optimal, but not a deal breaker.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:52 PM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
The seasons here are winter (5+ months), mud season (about a month), summer (3 months if you're lucky), tourist season (another month), and 2 months of misery devoted to replacing flashlight batteries, buying ice scrapers, and cursing the world's worst precipitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire