Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 06:27 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times

Advertisements

I suppose this question is sort of in line with a recent question about the pronunciation of a NH town’s name.

Are people (especially natives or long-time residents) aware of any widespread use of the term “Twin States” to describe New Hampshire and Vermont? Is this a term often used in Vermont, but not much here?

I’ve lived here for close to 15 years now, and otherwise always lived in Maine or Mass., and had never heard anyone use this term until recently, when I started seeing it being used in “Valley News” articles posted on the websites of other newspapers owned by the same parent company (such as the Concord Monitor.) Valley News is an Upper Valley publication and I do not live in or particularly near the Upper Valley, and haven’t spent much time there.

Is this a term pretty limited to the Upper Valley? I know there is a close relationship between the Hanover area, and the Norwich, VT area, with lots of people crossing the border daily for one reason or another.

Edit to add - I’m in the Monadnock Region, so not terribly far from VT (I feel a closer relationship to VT now than when I lived in the central part of the state, our free weekly newspaper is distributed in Brattleboro and has Brattleboro-related articles, etc.) and I still never hear this term.

Last edited by cowbell76; 11-16-2020 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:02 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Wink I've heard VT called "Topsy-turvy NH" or more recently "The Upside-Down", but never heard "twin states"

I've been doing sporadic work up near Killington for about a year; I hear plenty of people remarking on the inverted resemblance, but never heard 'twin states" used in either state.

The more time I spend up there, the more I notice how weird Vermont is compared to back home in New Hampshire.
Other than shape and climate, the two states really don't have all that much in common.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 11-17-2020 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
The term is alive for 2 reasons...

The states have similar shapes.

The Valley News and commercial ventures in the Upper Valley use the name to expand their perceived coverage areas.

No one uses the term in conversation, not now and not in my grandparents' time.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:03 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
There's Twin State Harley Davidson in Lebanon.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:37 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,734,236 times
There was a book published by Lisa Shaw back in 1997 titled: New Hampshire Vs. Vermont: Sibling Rivalry Between the Twin States. Fun read.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone... so I’m not crazy... (or at least I didn’t miss some major thing.). In doing a quick online search I did find several businesses with “Twin State” in the name, and they all were around the Upper Valley.

I can see the two states being “twins,” as they have a pretty similar size and shape, with reversed orientation, but I’ve never felt that there was a very close relationship between them. Maybe that’s due to how the influx of out-of-staters over the last 50 years or so has changed much of VT. Maybe they used to be closer. It seems to me that the Upper Valley is really the only area where there is a lot of cross-border daily travel where it feels at least to some extent like all the same region. I wonder if other people have noted other areas like that. I know Brattleboro area people shop in Keene (in part due to Brattleboro’s efforts to keep out big box stores) but at least two me it doesn’t feel like there is a very close relationship between the two areas. But maybe it’s because despite living in the area my life is oriented more towards central NH than VT. And the two cities are about 20 miles apart.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone... so I’m not crazy... (or at least I didn’t miss some major thing.). In doing a quick online search I did find several businesses with “Twin State” in the name, and they all were around the Upper Valley.

I can see the two states being “twins,” as they have a pretty similar size and shape, with reversed orientation, but I’ve never felt that there was a very close relationship between them.
I know some fraternal twins who resemble that remark.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
I know some fraternal twins who resemble that remark.
Hahaha. I literally “LOL” at this comment.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:20 PM

146 posts, read 114,268 times
I grew up in a small town in extreme Eastern NY and back in the day (pre 1940) the local electric company was Twin State Gas and Electric Co.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:06 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,423,982 times
I've lived in New England since 1978, I have never heard of VT & NH referred to as the twin states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire