Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 09:09 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
When switching - the price/cost may be by amount used.
All will ask what gas appliances that you have. If you don't use much propane that cost may be higher.

Again, the cooperative is the best solution for most people.

But beyond all this. Ukraine, Covid, lack of ships, and new housing construction. The costs are going to be high for years to come.

One can go to the Politics section and argue about Trump Biden. Neither have control of todays prices.
You will find lots of "opinions" but few if any facts.
Yes, know all this. I'm interested in what it costs to have an existing tank pumped out and removed, and a new tank put in. My supplier of the past 6 years has been acquired by a national company bent on raising their margins at my expense, so time to seriously look at switching, but it's still a financial decision - if the cost of switching exceeds the savings of a lower propane price through a coop, why do it?

I also realize that everything about propane supply is negotiable, but a good negotiating position is based on knowledge of alternatives, and with the lack of transparency in propane/NH, it's tough to gain a good negotiating position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 05:23 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,174,862 times
It's too bad that natural gas is unavailable in most of NH. One person is responsible for a good deal of the blame- MA Attorney General, Maura Healy. She single handedly caused the cancellation of the two nat gas pipeline proposals, which would have brought new supply into northern New England.

She's the democratic candidate for governor of MA in 2022. Get even with her by making a contribution to her Republican opponent, Geoff Diehl. Note: I'm not endorsing Diehl.

https://geoffdiehl.com/

Old 08-02-2022, 05:25 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
One person is responsible for a good deal of the blame-
Hogwash. Garbage.

The price of oil gas is set on world spot market.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:06 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
It's too bad that natural gas is unavailable in most of NH. One person is responsible for a good deal of the blame- MA Attorney General, Maura Healy. She single handedly caused the cancellation of the two nat gas pipeline proposals, which would have brought new supply into northern New England.

She's the democratic candidate for governor of MA in 2022. Get even with her by making a contribution to her Republican opponent, Geoff Diehl. Note: I'm not endorsing Diehl.

https://geoffdiehl.com/
The reason natural gas isn't available in most of NH is cost. Running natural gas to every house in NH would be so expensive that it would take the utility decades to recover the cost. Pumping more gas into NH would not expand the network.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:12 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
This particular diatribe might be more appropriate in the Mass. or Politics forums, instead of interjecting it into every NH thread about energy and utility bills.

Quote:
Current #2 fuel oil prices in NH range from $5.60 to $6.30 per gallon. Residents will have trouble heating their homes and businesses come the winter.

It's too bad that the 2 natural gas pipeline proposals to bring new supply into New England were killed by Mass attorney general Maura Healy. The "married" lesbian environmental wacko is running for governor of MA. She'll probably win.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...increases.html

Old 08-02-2022, 11:45 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,736 times
I really can't see pumping NG into much of NH being financially feasible for anyone.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:44 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
OP here. To the person who brought up natural gas and those who responded: PLEASE DON'T GO THERE. It's completely off-topic for this thread, and just leads to arguments (as it did here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
To the OP: Did you switch? If so, what was the cost?

I'm facing a possible change in suppliers due to cost, and want to factor in the cost to switch.

And yes, cooperatives do seem to have the best pricing....
Bigbear, I didn't switch (or at least, I haven't yet). I liked the Eastern rep that I spoke with, but their closest office is Claremont, which is about an hour and a half from where I am (normally about an hour I think, but there's been road construction for a long time and it appears to be never-ending!). Amerigas's customer service has actually gotten better -- i.e., you can actually get through to them!! -- so while I am not thrilled with them, I will likely stay with them a while longer. (In addition, my schedule is nuts right now as I prepare for the fall semester, so I am just too overwhelmed to deal with anything "extra.")

But as to the cost: I've switched twice and the cost from the old supplier was basically zero (I think it actually WAS zero in both cases, but I can't remember for sure). Both times I switched, I knew the tanks were very low. I think in one case I got a few dollars back for what had been left. Call your current supplier (or check your contract) to see what fees they charge when service is cancelled.

The biggest cost of switching are the "checks" that the new company does and whatever start-up charges they have for bringing the new tanks, setting them up, etc. Again, that would be specific to the company you go with.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! I wish this info were more available on companies' web sites, but it's generally not -- which of course is great for them but bad for consumers because it's harder to compare different companies.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:02 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP here. To the person who brought up natural gas and those who responded: PLEASE DON'T GO THERE. It's completely off-topic for this thread, and just leads to arguments (as it did here).

Bigbear, I didn't switch (or at least, I haven't yet). I liked the Eastern rep that I spoke with, but their closest office is Claremont, which is about an hour and a half from where I am (normally about an hour I think, but there's been road construction for a long time and it appears to be never-ending!). Amerigas's customer service has actually gotten better -- i.e., you can actually get through to them!! -- so while I am not thrilled with them, I will likely stay with them a while longer. (In addition, my schedule is nuts right now as I prepare for the fall semester, so I am just too overwhelmed to deal with anything "extra.")

But as to the cost: I've switched twice and the cost from the old supplier was basically zero (I think it actually WAS zero in both cases, but I can't remember for sure). Both times I switched, I knew the tanks were very low. I think in one case I got a few dollars back for what had been left. Call your current supplier (or check your contract) to see what fees they charge when service is cancelled.

The biggest cost of switching are the "checks" that the new company does and whatever start-up charges they have for bringing the new tanks, setting them up, etc. Again, that would be specific to the company you go with.

Sorry I can't be more helpful! I wish this info were more available on companies' web sites, but it's generally not -- which of course is great for them but bad for consumers because it's harder to compare different companies.
thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'll begin negotiations soon with my current supplier - we'll see how it goes, but given their takeover, I'm not optimistic.

Propane in NH is such a jungle, so lacking in transparency. It's worse than dealing with car dealers in buying a car, where there's at least some benchmarks available.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:00 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,056,736 times
Given this discussion, I think heating with unicorn farts would be less complicated than propane.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:40 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Given this discussion, I think heating with unicorn farts would be less complicated than propane.
Yep. It's one of those weird things that I had to get used to when I moved here. (I actually lived in New Hampshire from 1973 to 1982 too, but that was on Pease Air Force Base and then in Portsmouth, and I didn't have to pay for heat myself way back then. So I didn't know about much about propane 'til I came back here in 2002.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire