Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 AM

224 posts, read 164,852 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I’m just wondering if NH has gotten so expensive to the point if I would be better off looking to move to Maine instead?

I’m currently in NJ looking to get out of this type of area… I think I would like the people and politics of NH but is there any cheaper rent to be found, I think I would like to move to Laconia or Concord or an area near those towns but is there a big difference between Maine and NH or is it somewhat similar?

I haven’t done much research with NH yet but did some with Maine and felt there are some cheap rental options available and more jobs then I thought I would find there but I hear taxes there are high where NH has none(I’m not looking to buy anything just rent 1 bedroom or studio)

Would love some thoughts on good areas for a younger single guy and what I should know about both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 09:22 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Post Even the worst part of the worst city in NH isn't going to be bad by urban NJ standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Hey everyone, I’m just wondering if NH has gotten so expensive to the point if I would be better off looking to move to Maine instead? I’m currently in NJ looking to get out of this type of area…
If you're a young single male and willing to live in a somewhat sketchy part of town, cheap rent can be had in New Hampshire. Even the worst part of the worst city in NH isn't going to be bad by urban NJ standards.

Quote:
I think I would like the people and politics of NH but is there any cheaper rent to be found, I think I would like to move to Laconia or Concord or an area near those towns but is there a big difference between Maine and NH or is it somewhat similar?

Would love some thoughts on good areas for a younger single guy and what I should know about both states.
WalletHub ranks Maine #4 for states with the highest taxes, while NH is ranked #46 -- our most visible taxes are property tax (part of why rent is high), auto registration, and meals tax (dine-in and carryout).

Many other differences between the two states, really depends on what is important to you.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:02 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
I wouldn't want to move to Laconia as a young single person. As for the differences between NH and Maine, in reality there are a lot of differences within each state. In NH, Concord is not like Portsmouth is not like Laconia is not like Peterborough is not like northern NH. Coastal ME is not like Portland is not like central ME is not like northern Maine.

I would start with the kind of work you do and see where you're likely to find employment, and decide what social or recreational opportunities are important. Do you need access to a major airport? High speed internet? Skiing? Water sports? A particular ethnic community?

Old 09-13-2021, 12:08 PM

224 posts, read 164,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you're a young single male and willing to live in a somewhat sketchy part of town, cheap rent can be had in New Hampshire. Even the worst part of the worst city in NH isn't going to be bad by urban NJ standards.

WalletHub ranks Maine #4 for states with the highest taxes, while NH is ranked #46 -- our most visible taxes are property tax (part of why rent is high), auto registration, and meals tax (dine-in and carryout).

Many other differences between the two states, really depends on what is important to you.

I didn’t realize Maine taxes were that high wow but Maine still seems way more liveable then where I am now(20-30 minutes drive from Manhattan) but I agree must be cheap rent still out there in NH plus I feel it will go down eventually when after winter newcomers decide they want to get out!

Old 09-13-2021, 12:26 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Where is "Work" going to be?

Old 09-13-2021, 02:44 PM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
This thread has some links to rental costs. https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...l#post61587884

Old 09-13-2021, 06:36 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,313 times
I'll second or third the recommendation to start with the location you're earning your living at and work out from there. Essentials, then the optionals.

Also, for a single dude choosing Laconia or Concord, just cross Laconia off your list. I would be willing to bet that Manchester has a larger "singles scene" than Concord. Depending on how young you are, you could also look towards college towns such the UNH area.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:58 PM

421 posts, read 328,833 times
Quote:
Hey everyone, I’m just wondering if NH has gotten so expensive to the point if I would be better off looking to move to Maine instead?

I’m currently in NJ looking to get out of this type of area… I think I would like the people and politics of NH but is there any cheaper rent to be found, I think I would like to move to Laconia or Concord or an area near those towns but is there a big difference between Maine and NH or is it somewhat similar?

I haven’t done much research with NH yet but did some with Maine and felt there are some cheap rental options available and more jobs then I thought I would find there but I hear taxes there are high where NH has none(I’m not looking to buy anything just rent 1 bedroom or studio)

Maine is cheaper yes .

Old 09-27-2021, 06:57 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
How old are you and what job skills do you have? How much money do you have saved?

I would suggest you research both NH and ME at the same time, and focus on work opportunities and secondarily rentals. And keep in mind that if the rent is cheap, then unskilled labour jobs also pay cheap.

Right now, there are very few rentals available in NH. Because of the pandemic, all the city folk that are able to work remotely are moving to NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire