Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 21,151 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate your inputs regarding the potential residence areas in south east NH.
We are a couple with one elementary school going kid and one newborn who have been renting all along but now set on buying house even before we move to NH. We are looking for good areas with great public schools or private schools if public are not great.
One of us would be working in Dover and other working from home or in Lowell or Andover MA.
Commute to Dover needs to be shorter (almost half time) as compared to the commute to Lowell or Andover.
I was also looking at possibility of using downeaster train from Dover, Durham or Exeter if we get to stay close to one of these areas. However, did not find any good houses there.
Other potential areas are Hampton Falls though not sure if the commute to Dover would be through the major highway or one of those inter city roads.
What are some safe good suburbs with newly built housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 10:04 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
What is your budget?

Old 10-01-2021, 05:54 PM

12,383 posts, read 9,483,835 times
If you're willing to look in MA, Amesbury would be worth looking at along with Exeter. Jump on 495 beltway to get to Lowell or Andover, and I-95 to get to Dover.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:49 PM

Thank you. However, its going to be far to Dover than MA. Would like to avoid state income tax for one of us for sure by staying in NH. I see road from Exeter to Dover though not sure how safe the driving would be on double lane.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:21 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askask View Post
Thank you. However, its going to be far to Dover than MA. Would like to avoid state income tax for one of us for sure by staying in NH. I see road from Exeter to Dover though not sure how safe the driving would be on double lane.
But you still didn't state YOUR BUDGET, as asked in the first response.

Housing prices vary tremendously depending on town.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:39 PM

12,383 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Well you said you didn't like the houses in Exeter? I think you're talking about Rte 108 - it's not bad, but you can't drive fast on it (safely) and you need to really pay attention at all times... Even though using Rte 101, I-95 and Rte 4/16 is considerably longer, it's probably nearly the same travel time. Exeter is a nice town though, and it has very good public schools... real estate taxes are stout.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:08 AM

Budget can be anywhere between 1m-1.5m but can be max stretched to 2M for an ideal house

Old 10-02-2021, 06:17 AM

89 posts, read 126,156 times
Quote:
Budget can be anywhere between 1m-1.5m but can be max stretched to 2M for an ideal house

So you're budget is 1 to 2 million and you're on a "city data" forum asking where you should live?

Old 10-02-2021, 06:58 AM

I tried to evade that question but ultimately had to give up. Yes we have been one of the fortunate ones who got right environment and upbringing to do well materialistically. We have lived frugally to pay off our debts and save significantly enough to put a down payment for a house like that.
House is something we are ready to invest all in as thats where we spend most of our time outside of work. As many have pointed out, Wwe will soon realize this blunder on first house but only after we have bought it.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:14 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
I personally would go with Exeter. Is it the age of the houses that you don't like? New England does have mostly older stock. However, older homes that are well maintained are very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire