Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 10,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was hoping for suggestions for reasonably priced towns in NH, good schools (not top tier), welcoming community. Ideally within an hour of Merrimack. Willing to look further for a nice community. I feel like when I look at more rural towns, the schools don’t appear to be great. Would like medium size town, but smaller is fine too.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 12:36 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Define "reasonably priced" and "medium size" for us.

Old 10-15-2021, 01:48 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neednewplace View Post
Hi,

I was hoping for suggestions for reasonably priced towns in NH, good schools (not top tier), welcoming community. Ideally within an hour of Merrimack. Willing to look further for a nice community. I feel like when I look at more rural towns, the schools don’t appear to be great. Would like medium size town, but smaller is fine too.

Thank you!
Take a look at Lebanon, Concord, and Dover.

Good luck in your search!

Old 10-15-2021, 05:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,055,725 times
I know nothing down that a way. Are you close by OP? Can you start driving around the areas and checking them out after you do a bit of research on them?

Old 10-16-2021, 11:52 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you!
Windham or Amherst. Small towns with good schools, not far from Merrimack. I feel Windham is welcoming; don't know about Amherst.

Now, "reasonably priced"? Depends on your perspective.

Old 10-16-2021, 08:43 PM

Thank you. I am in MA and I don’t feel southern NH is not going to be much more affordable. Lol. Ideally would like a smallish house 1500-2000 sq feet, 3 bedrooms, and a decent yard (but doesn’t have to big be big). Hoping to spend low to mid 400k. I am in a nice, smaller town in MA, but it feels cliquey and I think a bit too small (current town is about 10k). Thank you.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:01 AM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
10K qualifies as a small city in NH. LOL. Real estate prices are very high right now and inventory is low due to the influx of people from out-of-state. Generally, the further north you go, the lower the prices, but the smaller the towns with fewer amenities and less stellar schools. Make a list of other things you need/want (shopping, high speed internet, etc), , take some time to look at properties and prices online, and spend a few weekends driving around and looking at communities. I would spend time looking around the seacoast, SW NH, Concord area. Are you working from home or working in Merrimack?

Old 10-18-2021, 10:13 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
I am in a nice, smaller town in MA, but it feels cliquey

Clickey? And do you think that that is absent in New Hampshire ?

Old 10-18-2021, 11:02 AM

No I don’t at all, but I am hoping to get away from snobby towns. That is why I am not looking for a top school district, but a step down from that. I want my kids in good schools, but do not want them in any kind of pressure cooker district, or snobby town. I want them to get a good education and meet some nice kids. Is Bedford and Amherst considered snobby? I think I am looking for a step down from these….maybe a 7 on great schools for example. How is Londonderry or Derry?

Old 10-18-2021, 12:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Good afternoon There are definitely some towns that could work for what you are looking for.

You mentioned Derry and Londonderry - both of which I am very familiar with - 2 of my kids graduated from Londonderry High School and I have zero complaints. Also consider nearby Litchfield and Hudson might be worth your consideration as well. Towns that are more rural in nature but feed into Pinkerton would include Candia, Hooksett, Chester and Auburn. On the other side of the river, also consider Merrimack. These are all mid to high preforming districts, but I wouldn't consider any of them a pressure cooker or snobby.

You mentioned Bedford and Amherst and I'm going to stop short of calling either of them snobby - but realize that these towns, along with Windham (and Pelham to a lesser extent) have a higher than average income level and your children's classmates may be enjoying a lifestyle (cars, vacations, etc) and trying to keep up with what the classmates are doing can be a bit of a challenge.

Another thing to think about is what you are looking for in your next town, in addition to school's. Many of these rural communities will have no shopping within the town borders other than perhaps a pizza shop and a hardware store. Some may have public water & sewer available - others won't. Some will have municiple trash pickup - others won't.

All things for you to consider. It's a tough choice and I completely get it. We got lucky with a town that has worked well for our family for 20 years

Quote:
No I don’t at all, but I am hoping to get away from snobby towns. That is why I am not looking for a top school district, but a step down from that. I want my kids in good schools, but do not want them in any kind of pressure cooker district, or snobby town. I want them to get a good education and meet some nice kids. Is Bedford and Amherst considered snobby? I think I am looking for a step down from these….maybe a 7 on great schools for example. How is Londonderry or Derry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire