Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times

Advertisements

Thanks, J! No, we never had any trouble with overflow or blocked pipes (not bad for a family of 8!). But it's good to know that it's because they have indeed changed the septic system. I have a tendency to fall into the 'but that's the way I as taught and it's never been a problem' approach to life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:04 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,293 times
Your quite welcome, Wannacomehome. And, your right about old habits. They can be tough to break!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,469 times
In talking with Dh about septic systems, it occurs to him to wonder how sanitary they are. Maybe we're missing something, but it sounds as though waste water just flows into the ground surrounding your home. Isn't that sorta like toxic leach? Also I'm still wondering about my last question, namely, when do you know it's time to pump? When everything starts backing up, as the animation said, or at some other regular interval to prevent such an occurence?

Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
In talking with Dh about septic systems, it occurs to him to wonder how sanitary they are. Maybe we're missing something, but it sounds as though waste water just flows into the ground surrounding your home. Isn't that sorta like toxic leach? Also I'm still wondering about my last question, namely, when do you know it's time to pump? When everything starts backing up, as the animation said, or at some other regular interval to prevent such an occurence?
The leach field removes the impurities and contaminants from the waste water as it slowly filters back into the ground. the septic tank holds the gunk (to put it politely)

Depending on usage, there are different recommendations for pumping - every 5 years seems like a good place to start.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
maestrmommy,

Your conversation with your DH is somewhat correct. The waste water does flow into the ground. However, the earth around your leach bed acts like a natural filtration system.

The State of NH requires 75' of space between your leach bed and your domestic drinking water well. Although towns can supersede these distances and require more spacing. Those people smarter than I have calculated the distance required to filter the waste water.

Biological contaminates, as well as other materials, from your septic system tend to cling to the soil (receiving layer) as it passes through it (peculation). This filtration is what cleanses the waste water. This act of filtration, eventually, is also one of the main reasons your leach bed will fail someday and need replacement.

Similar to the oil filter in your car, the filter will start to loose it ability to do it job properly. In an automobile, your oil pressure will continue to drop as the filter clogs. In your leach bed, water will start to appear around the edge or on top of your bed (blowout, AKA failure). A possible first sign that a system is in failure is the grass over the system tends to grow profusely with a dark green color (fertilization!!!!).

And, by the way, when the system needs replacement, The "receiving layer" as well as the pipes, stones or any other material removed from the leach bed can be considered hazardous waste and require proper disposal.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I'm hoping this information will be helpful for others to understand how the system works and why one must be careful about what goes into the septic system.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:28 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,469 times
Thanks Jthibodeau! All this info is very helpful! We are such city dwellers, this is our first exposure to private septic systems. I'll be forwarding this thread to Dh, as you are explaining this much more clearly that my 2nd hand explanation would be.

More questions then. Does each home then also have it's own well? We are also used to getting all of our water from the city water works.
Also, Does the entire works require replacement because of improper disposal of stuff, or because it just eventually wears out? Replacement and disposal of all the stuff around must be terribly expensive. Does that account for some of the numbers quoted early in the thread (up to $10K)? How often do people normally replace the entire works?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Does each home then also have it's own well?
Not all the time. You can find locations which have public water without public sewer. And sometimes visa versa.

Quote:
Also, Does the entire works require replacement because of improper disposal of stuff, or because it just eventually wears out?
Both actually, I installed a system at a previous home I owned in 1972 and it's still working fine. On the other hand, I've seen systems fail within just a few years because of improper usage. One home in particular was occupied by an artist and all the brushes, palettes and other assorted utensils were cleaned in a basement washtub which lead to the septic system. After failure of the system, it received an exploratory dig to try and determine why it failed. When the spoils were removed, it had the colors of a rain bow.

Quote:
placement and disposal of all the stuff around must be terribly expensive. Does that account for some of the numbers quoted early in the thread (up to $10K)?
Yes and yes.

Quote:
How often do people normally replace the entire works?
Most often, the septic tank will outlast the leach bed. On the other hand, if the system is failing and the tank has deteriorated, which concrete can do over time, or is undersized, replacement of the tank should also be considered or, may even be mandatory when a new system is required. State Approved designs and local permits are needed, by law, when a system is being repaired or replaced.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:47 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
Sometimes you'll also find homes in subdivisions which have shared well and/or septic. This can get iffy--while you can control what you put down your pipes, you can't necessarily control how well your neighbor treats his...

One of the biggest issues for newcomers to NH (and septic systems) is education on what you can't flush or rinse down the sink. A recent relocation client who has never dealt with private well, private sewer (or heating systems for that matter!) found it very interesting to learn all about this. Learning that garbage disposals are NOT septic system friendly was an unhappy moment, hey that's why we have compose piles

jthibodeau, what are your thoughts on oil and grease and septic? I always recommend that people avoid putting these down your sink (even old salad dressing). I always recommend that folks clean a large tin can (or something that can handle heated oil or grease) and just keep it in your fridge until trash pick up day (or dump day). Is this overkill? I probably tend to be overcautious because I have an original septic system in my 1962 house, but better safe than having the system fail...

Also, people asked about recommended time between pumping. We've been in the house for 6 years, and it was done in conjunction with the septic test prior to buying, then twice more since then. So about every 2 years. Probably more than necessary, but the couple hundred bucks that it costs is worth it IMO because we do have an aging system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Not all the time. You can find locations which have public water without public sewer. And sometimes visa versa.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post

jthibodeau, what are your thoughts on oil and grease and septic? I always recommend that people avoid putting these down your sink (even old salad dressing). I always recommend that folks clean a large tin can (or something that can handle heated oil or grease) and just keep it in your fridge until trash pick up day (or dump day). Is this overkill? I probably tend to be overcautious because I have an original septic system in my 1962 house, but better safe than having the system fail...
Your right on the money with the oil and grease, Val. Grease and oil don't break down and can create a coating preventing the water from passing through the receiving layer. Everyone knows what bacon grease will do when cold. Keep up the good work and that 45 year old system of yours may last many more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Also, people asked about recommended time between pumping. We've been in the house for 6 years, and it was done in conjunction with the septic test prior to buying, then twice more since then. So about every 2 years. Probably more than necessary, but the couple hundred bucks that it costs is worth it IMO because we do have an aging system.
It really depends on the size of your family, as well as the size of your septic tank. Todays' 1000 gallon tanks are beginning to be considered as undersized and many new systems are going with 1250 or more. I imagine that your tank, installed in the early 60's, could be in the range of 500 to 750 gallons. In which case, your playing it smart to have it pumped every couple of years. Like you say, the two hundred dollar cost every few years is like an insurance policy. You hate to pay the bill but, it better than the alternative.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Ok, so I have a question (thanks for starting this Maestramommy!):

so what do I do if I"m painting - with acrylics or something- and rinse out the brushes and the water I'm using to thin/mix colors with? dump it outside? And what about dyeing fabric? Do I toss the dye bath outside or is it ok down the drain?

funny about the grease can: I grew up that way and still have one in the fridge! Now my mom will use her garbage disposal, but only on small stuff - anything larger she puts in the compost pot. Should she not even use the plate scrapings in the disposal???

I just never had to know much about septics. But I know the ad on tv around here 'when something goes wrong with your septic system, it's going to get expensive and it's going to get expensive fast!' I believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire