Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 AM

909 posts, read 3,362,876 times

Advertisements

It just occured to me that I should find out what the music programs are like in schools. Do the elementary and middle schools in southern NH have orchestra or band programs? How about the high schools? Public or private schools? I'm an orchestra teacher at the elementary and secondary level, and I hope to be able to go back to work eventually. I can renew my credential in CA, but does anyone know what's involved with transferring a credential from another state? Do private schools require a teaching credential? Anyone know availability of teaching positions in southern NH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,934 times
IME, most elementary schools do not have band programs. The middle schools do. the New Hampshire Symphony Orchestra also has a program that works directly with the schools.

For the most part, elementary schools present a recital at Christmas and maybe a play during the year and that is the extent of the music programs.

When I lived in Derry, the Art, Music and Phys. Ed. programs were cut from the budget because of lack of funds. It was unfortunate for all the students IMO. Currently, those programs are back in place, but they are always the first to be cut if and when there is a problem.

Some schools will cut their athletic programs to save $$$, but the Derry schools did not have any athletic programs to cut at that time. This was in the late '80's and early '90's.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:48 AM

Londonderry and Salem HS's have excellent band programs and they've traveled extensively showing off their skills. The parents and the staff work together fund raising to help out with expenses.

My daughter left Pinkerton in Derry and transferred into Manchester Memorial where she traveled with the marching band to NYC to compete in an all-star program and they took first place. The music programs at the high school level are top-notch.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:31 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Default Love them Lancers!!

I can only speak for Londonderry:
Music programs start in elementary school (I believe strings starts in 3rd grade) Grade 5 starts band, and it continues through middle school. High School has marching band, concert band, jazz, orchestra, etc.

Check out Home - Londonderry NH Friends of Music - FOM - Home of the Londonderry High School Marching Lancers for more info on our marching Lancers--359 of them this year! The Beijing trip is a mere couple of weeks away, and is the culmination of years of hard work by our music director, Andy Soucy. Mr. Soucy was chosen among many NH band directors to direct the Boston Pops "Sleighride" last year (Londonderry NH net » Holiday Pops 2007 with Special Maestro Andy Soucy - you MUST check out the youtube video done by one of our graduating seniors )

YouTube - 2007 Salem Band Show - LHS Marching Band
One of my favorite Lancer videos--this was taken at the 2007 Salem Band Show. What you don't see in the video is that it was absolutely POURING outside, and they played like pros! To this day, this performance is the one my daughter still talks about--the kids were SOoooo jazzed!!

YouTube - LHS Band @ Pinkerton September 29, 2007 - Drum War!
Another of my favorites--the Drumlines from Pinkerton (Derry) and Londonderry had themselves a little "drumwar". So good to see the kids competing, and having fun. THAT'S what it's all about!!!

OK, so I like the Lancers

Buck Naked is correct--Salem NH also has an excellent music program! The Blue Devils are a competition band (got some great new uniforms last year!) and they are very high ranking. The Lancers OTOH, are a performance band and do not compete. It's great when the 2 bands get together and have their twice-annual pizza party when the football teams play.

Alverne High School in Hudson and Spaulding High in Rocherster also have VERY good band programs (at the high school level). I've only seen them at Band Shows, but if they have talent at that level, they must have had good instruction in their younger grades...

Old 05-30-2008, 01:30 PM

the elementary schools here, offer music once a week and it is a rudimentary course where the children learn to sing together and practice for recitals, etc. They also learn the basics of reading notes. Our middle school starts with the 4th grade and at that level, beginning band is offered.

Apparently, some schools get more funding if they are able to offer string instruments to 3rd graders. It is not an option in our district. We do have flutaphones LOL and they are the first instrument the kids are required to buy for music in preparation for recitals. It's a very basic wind instrument.

The Concord Community School of Music offers classes to children and UNH has a youth band program as well.

I'm sure there are opportunities for music teachers. The St. Thomas Aquinas School in Derry is looking for a music teacher now. School Employment Opportunities (http://www.catholicnh.org/education/catholic-schools/employment-information/school-employment-opportunities/ - broken link)

"St. Thomas Aquinas School in Derry, NH is anticipating an opening for a music teacher. This position requires teaching music classes for Grades K–8, two days per week, as well as the following: directing the school choir; planning, playing, and directing music for our school Masses; preparing and directing our Christmas play/concert, Spring Concert, and school drama production."

Old 05-30-2008, 02:24 PM

I don't know the requirements, but here is the NH schools administrators administration website, which will have job postings for public schools (not sure if private is listed or not): EdJobsNH.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
I'm an orchestra teacher at the elementary and secondary level, and I hope to be able to go back to work eventually.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Where the &*%$ is Rocherster?? That shoulda been Rochester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Spaulding High in Rocherster also have VERY good band programs (at the high school level).

Old 05-30-2008, 03:42 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
Hollis also has a great music program. They just came down to VA for a Heritage Festival competition and placed third (they have placed first at others). They don't have a marching band, but they do have chorus, concert band and a really great jazz band.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:36 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,876 times
So I guess string programs are less common out there? They are out here as well, but many districts still offer them starting in 4th grade. Strings is more my area than wind/brass.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times
Oh, no.. there aren't any strings in the Hollis band. Sorry. Not sure if it's that no one has ever taugth it, or that the instruments aren't as readily available... but I've never seen any strings there (aside from guitar strings in the jazz band ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire