Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,255 times

Advertisements

Our neighbor came over last night to give us a heads up type of thing. It seems Saturday afternoon his daughter saw a bear roaming around their house and yard for while, then didn't see where it went. Yesterday the bear was 'visiting' them again and then crossed the street into our yard and on up behind the our house and into the woods. Both times it's been seen in the afternoon.

About 3 houses down from us, they have a dumpster and our neighbor (who has lived here for many years) thinks the dumpster may have attracted the bear and it's now making periodic "dumpster runs" especially since many times the thing is open or overflowing.

I have no idea if the bear is male or female, both times the neighbors have seen it, it's been alone. I didn't get to see it because I was working and don't have access to a window where the bear wandered on our property.

We have a dog, which obviously has to go outside to do her "doobers." When I take her out, she's on a leash, does her thing and comes back in. My husband is concerned that if the bear is around when I take her out, she'll take off for the bear and either drag me along with her or will yank the leash out of my hand and take off in pursuit. She's a fairly good sized dog - about 75 pounds of pure muscle pretty much and she's generally very good with me when she's on the leash, may bark a "hello" to a dog across the street, but doesn't pull, etc. and minds me when I tell her to stop, but I suspect if she sees or smells a bear it may be a different story. The moose we had in the yard last year scared her - she took one sniff and looked at them, then plastered herself against me and wanted back in the house immediately.

When I take her out, I look outside first, to make sure I'm not going to be suprised by a moose, turkey, deer, etc. that she may try to pursue - is there anything special to be aware of with a bear? I'm assuming as long as the bear isn't feeling threatened, it won't come charging out at me and the dog - is that a naive assumption? I don't take her out by the tree line, we stick to the open areas in the yard.

Any tips would be appreciated to ease our minds - I would rather have some idea of what to expect may happen and be prepared and proactive than wait until faced with a situation and have to be reactive, if that makes any sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Most bears will be just as afraid of you as you are of them. When visiting the outdoors, make noise to alert any roaming bear of your presents before you see them. Talk, sing, wear bells or use any other method to let the wild animals become aware of you. Once they know your around, they'll most likely high tail it out of there and you, most likely, will never know they were around.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,247 times
What kind of dog do you have?
Can you change the time you take your dog outside, avoiding the afternoon time when the bear has been seen? Although who knows whether it's lurking nearby...
Sticking to open areas & away from the treeline sounds logical. If you do come across a bear or other animal, staying calm yourself will help your dog to not freak out. When I react anxiously, even slightly, my dogs pick it up and react too. The whole thing just snowballs. Stay calm if you can. Hopefully someone who knows about bears will offer more concrete help.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM

885 posts, read 2,661,176 times
the dog isn't stupid. Even if it takes off after the bear, it'll retreat if the bear gets aggressive. The bear will probaby retreat if the dog is making a lot of noise, and your dog should stop chasing at the edge of what he considers his territory

Old 06-04-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
What kind of dog do you have?
Can you change the time you take your dog outside, avoiding the afternoon time when the bear has been seen? Although who knows whether it's lurking nearby...
Sticking to open areas & away from the treeline sounds logical. If you do come across a bear or other animal, staying calm yourself will help your dog to not freak out. When I react anxiously, even slightly, my dogs pick it up and react too. The whole thing just snowballs. Stay calm if you can. Hopefully someone who knows about bears will offer more concrete help.
She's a cathoula mix and the catahoula traits seem to be the strongest in her. They are used a lot in the south to "stay hogs" and round them up. I'm not really afraid (for me) if there's a bear around - I was told to pretty much just back away if I came across one and not to get between a mother and her cubs - I'm more concerned that the dog will think it's another dog or something <g>.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Most bears will be just as afraid of you as you are of them. When visiting the outdoors, make noise to alert any roaming bear of your presents before you see them. Talk, sing, wear bells or use any other method to let the wild animals become aware of you. Once they know your around, they'll most likely high tail it out of there and you, most likely, will never know they were around.
Thank you jthibodeau - I didn't even think of making noise when we're outside, although now that you mention it, I have heard people say they've banged pots and pans together when camping, etc. Wearing bells is a good idea - they will go well with my purple hair and tinfoil hat I'll be sure to make some noise before we venture out.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcewan View Post
the dog isn't stupid. Even if it takes off after the bear, it'll retreat if the bear gets aggressive. The bear will probaby retreat if the dog is making a lot of noise, and your dog should stop chasing at the edge of what he considers his territory
Thank you rmcewan - Our dog is really pretty intelligent, so I would HOPE she'd retreat if the bear got aggressive. Last night when my husband had her out she was "tracking" where the bear had been (at least as close as we could figure from what our neighbor told us) and she did stop once she reached a certain point closer to the wooded area, just seemed to lose interest, so hopefully that's a good indication of what she would do.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:13 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
have the neighbor with the dumpster call the waste management company that supplies the dumpster....there are special 'bear proof' doors and lids.

it's a real problem and it has a solution.

we have bear up here and I had to learn to put compost far away from the house

Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
an old-fashioned trick - string together used aluminum pie plates (you know the disposable table talk pie type) - close enough to bang together if the breeze blows, but not loud enough to disturb anyone but wild animals - and hang on the trees or posts - sometimes this is enough to keep them from coming into the yard

Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Thank you jthibodeau - I didn't even think of making noise when we're outside, although now that you mention it, I have heard people say they've banged pots and pans together when camping, etc. Wearing bells is a good idea - they will go well with my purple hair and tinfoil hat I'll be sure to make some noise before we venture out.

4th of July is around the corner. Get some firecrackers and throw one outside before you go. that will give them a scare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire