Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 PM

12 posts, read 41,904 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find a great place to live with my family. Derry, and the surrounding areas look nice. Can you tell me anything about it? School, town, taxes... etc. Any information would be great.

Thanks

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 10,615 times
Sandown which is directly down the street from Chester (Rt.102 from Derry) is growing. There are many new beautiful houses being built in the area which is attractive to Boston commuters. 45 minutes to Boston from 93 or 495 (not counting high-traffic times). Although there are many houses being built they are being built in high-end subdivisions which personally, I believe benefit the town. They aren't being thrown in making the town look trashy but in very good taste.
Taxes are OK. Somewhere in the range of 7K - 10K for a new home. School system is getting better for Sandown. Timberlane High School is growing each year. Sandown has their own schools before High School.
Small town with one store and small town center. Grocery store is about 5 miles or so from town center in Hampstead. New home prices are anywhere from $389K - $500K.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 PM

111 posts, read 485,159 times
Londonderry is Derry's neighboring town just west of I-93. Derry has more of a business district than L'Derry but you can get nearly anything you need in either town. If not, both Manchester and Salem have large malls and are only 20 minutes away. Both towns are growing and there are many new homes, condos and other developments going up at a regular rate. The taxes in Derry are somewhat higher than L'Derry, $22.16 per $1000.00 acessed value for Derry vs $18.28 per $1000.00 in L'Derry. The schools are very good in either town. You can get more details about these towns by going to the City-Data.com home page and select NH and the particular town you are interested in. The population of southern NH has grown considerably over the years and, naturally, the crime rate has risen as a result. Most of it is either domestic and/or non-violent crimes in nature. All in all, it is very low and I never give it a second thought. From this area you are only about a hour away from Boston, the sea coast, the lakes region or the mountains. The roads are well maintained and the road crews do an excellent job of keeping them clear of snow in the winter.

FYI, Derry and L'Derry have web pages (do a search for them) for additional info on either town.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 50,922 times
jobcorps

Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
I lived in Derry for 22 years. I highly recommend it. the elementary schools were rated 'best in the state' a number of times. the high school is the private Pinkerton Academy. The town picks up the tuition for Derry kids.

lots of shopping, nice parks, good library, great golf course and lots of friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire