Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 4,440 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm new here and my BF and I are looking to move to NH...more specifically southern NH or close enough that he can commute to Boston. We plan on making a weekend trip up there sometime in July to look for places to live. Can anyone suggest any areas that would help start our search? He is willing to do about an hour and a half commute for work. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 06:49 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Talking good luck moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveelayne View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new here and my BF and I are looking to move to NH...more specifically southern NH or close enough that he can commute to Boston. We plan on making a weekend trip up there sometime in July to look for places to live. Can anyone suggest any areas that would help start our search? He is willing to do about an hour and a half commute for work. Thank you so much.

Any wear in southern nh would be that commute time. over toward the east coast would be nice. your close to the ocean and I 95 which will take you right to boston. i lived in rochester and commuted to newberry port mass and that's the route i used to take. good luck relocating and i know you will love n.h.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 AM

11 posts, read 121,018 times
Default Areas to live

Liveelayne,

There are basically three options for commutes down to Boston, a Portsmouth based 95 one, a Salem and 93 one, and a Nashua based Route 3 one. If the commute time of an hour and a half is one way, then all three would work with the Salem based one the shortest, followed by the Nashua, and Portsmouth being the longest. If it is really 45 minutes one way (1.5 hours round trip) it is going to be pretty tough, even from Salem during peak traffic times.

I did the Portsmouth to Boston commute for a while and it got old very fast.

Generally speaking, prices are going to be more expensive around the Seacoast followed by the Salem area and then the Nashua one probably being the lowest of the three.

Is there anything specific you are looking for in the areas other than commute time?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybenjamin View Post
Liveelayne,
Is there anything specific you are looking for in the areas other than commute time?

Well right now, we'd like to be relatively close to the ocean and of course would want a safe area to live in. We'll eventually want to buy a house with a substantial amount of acreage but right now, the most important thing is how far it is from boston.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveelayne View Post
Well right now, we'd like to be relatively close to the ocean and of course would want a safe area to live in. We'll eventually want to buy a house with a substantial amount of acreage but right now, the most important thing is how far it is from boston.
Then you definitely want the Seacoast area - going I95 - it's about 45 minutes to Logan airport from Dover, about 40 minutes from Portsmouth - and I do believe you can take the bus out of Portsmouth, or catch the T in a few cities north of Boston so you don't have to drive the entire distance.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM

11 posts, read 121,018 times
Default Commute times

I am going to have to make a slight correction about commute times. If you are going from Dover to Boston South Station during commuting times, especially if you are taking the CJ Trailways bus, plan for about a two hour one way trip and that is just the bus part, not including any walking to the workplace or getting to the bus station. C&J Service Schedule (http://www.ridecj.com/schedule.asp - broken link)

It's basically impossible to get into Boston from Portsmouth under an hour and a half one way. The 95 section of the commute most likely won't be bad but once you hit Route 1 plan on being in heavy traffic all the way into Boston.

I did this commute every day for a couple years and resorted to the bus out of Portsmouth to start, which got me from my townhouse in Portsmouth front door to my place of work in 2 hours and 10 minutes or so door to door. Then I moved in with my girlfriend in Seabrook and drove in direct from there and it still took me a little under an hour and a half door to door to get to work because of the traffic and this was when I was getting on 95 on exit 1.

If we could only move Boston and NH seacoast closer together.....

Old 06-30-2008, 04:57 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybenjamin View Post
I am going to have to make a slight correction about commute times. If you are going from Dover to Boston South Station during commuting times, especially if you are taking the CJ Trailways bus, plan for about a two hour one way trip and that is just the bus part, not including any walking to the workplace or getting to the bus station. C&J Service Schedule (http://www.ridecj.com/schedule.asp - broken link)

It's basically impossible to get into Boston from Portsmouth under an hour and a half one way. The 95 section of the commute most likely won't be bad but once you hit Route 1 plan on being in heavy traffic all the way into Boston.

I did this commute every day for a couple years and resorted to the bus out of Portsmouth to start, which got me from my townhouse in Portsmouth front door to my place of work in 2 hours and 10 minutes or so door to door. Then I moved in with my girlfriend in Seabrook and drove in direct from there and it still took me a little under an hour and a half door to door to get to work because of the traffic and this was when I was getting on 95 on exit 1.

If we could only move Boston and NH seacoast closer together.....
You are probably correct, but I never said South Station - I said Logan Airport - did that route so many times at all times of day and night So my trip did not constitute taking 128, but it did consist of some on Rte 1 through Danvers and Rte 60. I guess it all depends on time of day and WHERE in Boston they are going
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire