Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Visiting New Hampshire: hunting trips, summer houses, Waterville Valley nh, college, video rental stores.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
JFRacing - thanks for the pictures ...go ahead.. rub it in... Now, we def. have to make the trip up there! My parents have offered to watch our daughter for the first couple of days...so we may have to go up their our second day! How long of a ride is it from Concord? I was thinking about out first day going from NJ -> Concord.. and since we won't have our daughter... day 2 - Mount washington and then stop by Belmont on the way back down - is that on the same route? Do you mind if I DM you for some time frames and if the trip I'm setting out would work? Being in WA it is kind of hard to test the road times Thank you again for those amazing pictures! I've seen your other ones on the picture thread... I can't wait for this trip!!!:

your welcome for the pictures. i don't want to rub it in i just want to show you what you have to look forward to. from concord if you take 93 north to 302 east and then 16 north will take you right to the auto road. i map quested it and it's 2 hours from concord .Mount Washington Auto Road here's the mt. washington site that will help you if you need it. yes you can DM me if you want. i'm home all the time, i have no life...LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 PM

248 posts, read 805,343 times
Talking Thank you!

I've put that link into my favorites JFRRacing! I'm sure that will be handy, if it is open come October! We will be borrowing my parents Camry... so we will see if it is up to the challenge!

Can you think of any town that is a must see for us while we are there?

Thank you!!

Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzmjp View Post
I've put that link into my favorites JFRRacing! I'm sure that will be handy, if it is open come October! We will be borrowing my parents Camry... so we will see if it is up to the challenge!

Can you think of any town that is a must see for us while we are there?

Thank you!!

oh man, there are a million places to see. just below mt washington on rt 16 you can go through north conway that's where cathederal ledge is which i have pics of if you would like to see them. here is another site that will help you find things to do up there. The White Mountains - Making Memories Every Day!
trust me you won't be bored. there are lot's of things you can do right in that area. here are the pictures that i was telling you about.

this is looking up to the ledge.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/JFRRACING/northconwaynh.jpg (broken link)

this is looking down when your up there. oh yeah, you can drive up.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/JFRRACING/fromtablerocknconwaynh.jpg (broken link)

here's another pic i thought you might like..
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm112/JFRRACING/100_2345.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by JFRRACING; 07-17-2008 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 PM

You are right - I do love that last picture! Where was that taken? ** I think I commented on that picture in the picture thread . We are limited with our time and I don't want my husband to think that we can move up there... that is a little too far from family in NJ for me... trying to keep within a reasonable driving distance ). But, you can keep those links coming because when we move...we are going to want something to do! Thank you again!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
dzmjp (that's a tough name to say LOL) if you're considering Hopkinton, and cruising up 89 anyway, I'd like to suggest that you visit Henniker. It's a bit north of Hopkinton, maybe 20 minutes +/- north/west of Concord. Home to Pat's Peak Ski Area and New England College, it's got a really friendly small town feel, but with a great vibe because of the college students, and conveniences like a couple of good places to eat, pharmacy, video rental store, etc. Hope you're writing all this stuff down, or printing threads

Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 AM

Talking Notebook is NOT optional :)

Valerie, I"ve actually started a notebook with the towns that we want to visit and I've searched the forum for threads that mention these towns so that I can jot down the notes about them all! It's starting to get full... and I still have 2 months to go!! <b> I can't wait to get up there!! </b>

We were planning on visiting Henniker... I think that the route 89 is our 3rd day there , on our way back to NJ. Can you think of any other towns that we should stop and check out? Maybe that you might drive by if you didn't know about them?

Do you know anything about Antrium? Some of the readings seem that it is a cute little town...but more information is always welcome! What area do you specialize in, in NH? Just incase we may decide in your area or want a realtor to take us around during our visit.

Thank you again to the entire forum for being so interactive!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
dzmjp,

Your notebook idea is great! I did that too, when we were looking. Actually, when I had my list of towns (ok: as I was getting interested in various towns), I'd print out the City-Data page for the town - it's great: it's the only one with weather charts, and the nhes community pages for the town, and then I'd check and see if the town had it's own website and print that. I put them all in sheet protectors and made a section in the notebook for each town. Then I added some notepaper in each area for taking notes. And when we went there, if we got any maps of the area or anything, they went into the notebook too (I got one of those zippered binders, so I wouldn't lose anything).

Yeah, I'm a touch obsessive about my organization.. probably because so much else (like my house) is so out of control.

also, I went through a real estate site (I didn't have NNEREN at the time, I used someone else's) and if I found any places that looked interesting that we wanted to look at, I printed out those listing pages as well. It was quite a collection, but it was a great way to keep all sorts of info about the town.

Oh, in the front of my notebook, I had a printout of the state's pdf on all the taxes of the previous year for each town. 2007 (http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/2007.htm - broken link) just click on "2007 Property Tax Rates".

BTW, our thoughts about Antrim when we were looking at a site there was: my, they grow more rocks here than other towns! I think our agent lives in Antrim. It's near Hillsboro for some shopping and not too far from Concord for bigger stuff.

gotta echo the thoughts on Waterville Valley, though: incredibly gorgeous - it's where our architect lives (he's also a building inspector there).

Old 07-18-2008, 09:53 PM

WannaComeHome - you sound just like me! I will probably get to that point within the next 2 months! I basically have the whole trip planned already...just need the husband's approval and then off to look at hotels, B&B's, etc in the areas where we are staying ... I will most likely be posting something asking for help with selecting to see if any one has heard good or "don't stay here" kind of place.

<b> I am SO EXCITED!</b> I don't know if I've said that yet . Thank you for that link to the 2007 tax links.... the city data page just has the 2006... I do really appreciate that!

Hope all is well with everyone! Thanks again!!
~dzmjp

Old 07-19-2008, 05:48 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,648 times
The nubble light house!
Hubby and I went to Maine a few weeks ago to the beach, Long beach I think. We stopped at that very light house and got suveniers. The Fox restuarant right out front was not that good though, high priced and my lobster was gummy, chewy, and smelled funny. But for $23 dollars Hell I sent it back. The dinner rolls were better served as hockey pucks.
But...the view was beautiful. The best part was all the little homes and cottages, all the flowers were full bloom and the walk to the lighthouse was amazing. Just smelling all those flowers in everyone's gardens, little white picket fences, and the sea breeze just swept me away for hours. Truly amazing New England is great!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
The nubble light house!
Hubby and I went to Maine a few weeks ago to the beach, Long beach I think. We stopped at that very light house and got souvenirs. The Fox restaurant right out front was not that good though, high priced and my lobster was gummy, chewy, and smelled funny. But for $23 dollars Hell I sent it back. The dinner rolls were better served as hockey pucks.
But...the view was beautiful. The best part was all the little homes and cottages, all the flowers were full bloom and the walk to the lighthouse was amazing. Just smelling all those flowers in everyone's gardens, little white picket fences, and the sea breeze just swept me away for hours. Truly amazing New England is great!

we went there back when i took the picture above and it was pretty good. it was pricey though. seeing all those houses for sale makes DW want to move up there. i told her if we win the lottery we will...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire