Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,450,823 times

Advertisements

Our oil fired water heater (1991 John Wood,30 gal, highest efficiency) has bit the dust. Luckily we caught it quickly and only have a small puddle in the basement.
Our oil co. tells us that they can't replace it until Monday, meaning no hot water for us until after then...and this will cost $2000. I want to shop for the best deal/model and hate feeling like we could be ripped off because it's an emergency.
Is this cost about right for a comparable new heater? And would you expect your oil co. to be available on a Saturday or make you wait until Monday?
All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 04:23 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
Our oil fired water heater (1991 John Wood,30 gal, highest efficiency) has bit the dust. Luckily we caught it quickly and only have a small puddle in the basement.
Our oil co. tells us that they can't replace it until Monday, meaning no hot water for us until after then...and this will cost $2000. I want to shop for the best deal/model and hate feeling like we could be ripped off because it's an emergency.
Is this cost about right for a comparable new heater? And would you expect your oil co. to be available on a Saturday or make you wait until Monday?
All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Do you have oil heat as well? Seems like you could add a zone to your heating system and just have a storage unit instead of a separate burner for less than $2K.

An electric water tank costs less than $400 with maybe $200 install.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 PM

311 posts, read 994,122 times
My hubby agrees with rmcewan. Our propane fired water heater, which is 10 years old, cost us $500 + $200 installation.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect anyone to be around for an emergency weekend installation...plus, oil-fired hot water heaters aren't that common and may not be in stock.

Looks like you'll be heating water on the stove for tub showers...bummer...

Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 PM

63 posts, read 187,578 times
2k is Way over priced.
If I were you though, I would be installing a "tankless" hot water heater. Initial cost is more that traditional tank system, but you will save those costs several times over in reduced operating costs, and do something good for the environment to boot!!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
2K sounds ridiculously overpriced, IMO.
I know it's really inconvenient, but I would shop around a bit. We're thinking of going with one of those tankless hot water heaters as well, currently researching the Renai. It really bothers me to hear our furnace fire up several times a day to heat water that isn't going to be used for hours and hours... such a waste! I'm not surprised that you have to wait for an install--it's not like winter when they need to be on call 24/7 emergency service. Hope it all works out for you--let us know what you decide!!

Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 AM

THanks for all your thoughtful replies.
We're sticking with oil, since we're all set up for it, and it's the most efficient option. electric will cost more to operate and would likely require a seperate electrical service, and gas is not an option we're considering.
We were suprised our oil company could not offer a more competetive and timely solution but called around, and found a plumber who is willing to do the job on a Sunday for $1500. He seems highly knowledgeable and honest - I'm hoping this is an accurate judgement and that all goes well today.
Thanks again! And Val, good for you for researching your options before you are in my predicament!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:14 AM

ok, after more research, it looks like oil is not our most efficient option after all...
switching over to electric is a more major operation than we can manage in this 'emergency' type situation.
Good thing I can soak in the spa in the meantime...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Hi Lisa
I would again urge you to look into tankless hot water heaters.
They are by FAR the most cost efficient way to produce hot water in your home. The initial cost to install is on average about twice that of a traditional heater (although if you are going to pay $1,500 it would be very close in cost).
After installation you average savings are going to be 30-50% less heating costs!! Also, the lifespan of the tankless system is about double that of a traditional system, so you wont be going through this again 10 years from now

Here is a link to a system just as a reference:
BoschHotWater.com Home
Bosch water heaters have quickly become the choice for families demanding endless hot water. With an average life expectancy of more than 20 years, energy savings of up to 50%, and an endless supply of hot water, your family will thank you for years to come.

The tankless technology has progressed to a point that in IMHO makes traditional hot water heaters very poor choices. I mean why would one want to keep a 40-50 tank of water heated to 140 degrees all day/night/weekend/holiday/vacation time? When there is an cheaper alternative (running costs) that gives you endless hot water but only operates when needed!! Good for you (cheaper to operate) and good for society (less energy wasted). Win win situation, can't ask for more than that
When the cost equation for electrical generation falls into line for adding a solar collection system on your roof,then your hot water is already powered by electricity (and yes, I am thinking 2-4 years in the future) Not sure if you plan on being in your home, but never hurts to plan ahead

Oh, forgot to mention, I am pretty sure the Federal goverment is now offering up to $300 tax credits for installation of tankless systems.
See for more info:
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#s2

Last edited by Movingback; 07-20-2008 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Adding more information

Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingback View Post
I mean why would one want to keep a 40-50 tank of water heated to 140 degrees all day/night/weekend/holiday/vacation time?
It keeps the basement toasty

Oh, plus - tankless systems will often only have capacity to heat water for one large supply at a time. If you want a shower while the laundry is going you might get a cold shock. A large family getting ready in the morning may overtax the system too. Just something to note and easy enough to get used to.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM

The only tankless water I would have installed in my home would be a "whole house" heater capable of running multiple fixtures at once. The only difference a user would notice between it and a "conventional water heater" is that the conventional system will eventually run out of water (like when my daughter takes her 20 minute showers). With the tankless you could be tanking multiple showers at the same time, as well as running an additional appliance such as a dishwasher or washing machine

An example sold at Home Depot:

The Eco Sense by Rheem PTG-74PVP LP Gas "Whole Home" tankless water heater provides continuous hot water for your family for up to 20 years or more. The 199,900 BTU burner provides hot water at 7.4 GPM allowing two to three major applications such as two showers and one sink to be used at the same time. Save up to 30% on fuel cost compared to a standard gas water heater or up to 70% compared to a standard electric water heater. The .82 energy factor exceeds the requirements for most utility rebate programs. The compact, power vented design saves valuable floor space, provides installation flexibility and can be vented either horizontally or vertically with no costly add-ons. The remote control digital thermostat can be located anywhere in the house for convenience and provides precise temperature control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire