Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM

311 posts, read 995,796 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NH my whole life - grew up in Lancaster, which is nearish to Berlin. Never had an air conditioner until just a few years ago. Now, they're so cheap that we figured why not and we bought three (one for each bedroom). We certainly don't run the a/c all the time. It actually helps my son and I who have allergies and asthma.

I grew up spending summers at camps on lakes in northern NH & VT. We swam from May through September, but that was when we were young and crazy. Now I like my pool temps around 86 degrees!

But, yeah, you can certainly swim in rivers, lakes & streams in the summer. My daughter even went swimming in the Mad River in April once. Considering the snow was still melting into the river, it must have been in the high 30's/low 40's. Yikes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith77 View Post
If we move to nh it will be in the berlin area. I am more concerned with the summer time. I do not handle heat well. In the summer do you need air-conditioning?
I can't speak about Berlin, but we're southwest (I hope I got that right!) of Berlin in Littleton. We have not even put our window air conditioners in. We have ceiling fans in the living room and bedrooms and a window fan in the master bedroom and we've been comfortable. We had a couple of days in the mid to high 80's with some humidity, but not the oppressive kind, and it cools down nicely at night here.

Winters here can be really cold - our first winter here, 2006, we had a stretch were it stayed below 0 for a week or two - last winter we had more snow than we did brutal cold.

So far this spring/summer, we've had a LOT of rain - usually pop-up type showers in the afternoon and/or evening.

Right now (according to the desktop weather thingie I have on the computer) it's 77 outside and it feels like 77, so it's really not bad at all...tonight we're supposed to get down to 60.

Again, not sure how this compares with the weather in Berlin, but hopefully it's close enough to give you some idea

Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
We live in central NH and don't have AC. I don't really mind it. There are a few stretches of days where it's in the 80s or 90s and humid during the summer, but not enough to make AC a necessity. I do pretty well with a fan and the occasional swim in the lake.

Fall is my favourite time of year and probably has the best weather as well. September is usually comfortably warm, but starts to cool down by the end of the month. October goes from brisk to chilly, and November is when the days start to feel "cold." I find it very pleasant, actually.

The winters can vary quite a bit as others have mentioned (especially in recent years), but generally I think it's a good idea to pick up some winter sports so that you don't get "cabin fever" from being inside all the time. Personally, I love the first half of winter, but the second half seems to drag.

Spring weather is kind of weird. In late March, there's usually still snow on the ground, although it does start to thaw out. Early April often has snow as well, but there's frequently a rapid increase in temperature (this year, we had temps in the 80s on one day at the end of the month). May is absolutely gorgeous when it's not raining. Another one of my favourite times of year.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:46 PM

120 posts, read 1,171,206 times
Thanks for your help everyone. It all has been helpfull.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Yeah, it is warm enough to swim. We are 10 miles north of the NH/MA border. The pool we belong to opens on Memorial day. My neighbor has a pool in his yard and he has it open until the end of Sept.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 AM

131 posts, read 360,602 times
Quote:
I was wondering how he weather is during all seaons. Does it get warm enough to swim in the summer? How cold does it really get in the winter? I am from NJ so I can deal with the cold weather, but I have been living in Tn for the past four years. It is nothing but HOT and WET here. I swear this area is a rain forrest. I don't leave my house for about 3 months to keep out of the heat. I am sure that will not be the case in NH, but what will I be looking forward to If I move there?
how about allergies???

Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,835 times
Following is the best post I found when perusing the Connecticut forum last year. (weather starts in fourth paragraph)
I can't find the original thread or the member. I wish I could, because I would like to give credit to the author,
and if they are still a member I would like to send a DM to say thank you for a wonderful post!

Quote:
I was born in Beverly Hills and grew up in Palos Verdes, until my mother went through exactly what you're going through and decided she did not want to raise me in Southern California. Everything you've mentioned about California I've heard her say repeatedly. So, in 3rd grade we moved to a large antique farmhouse in a small New Hampshire town. I am now 27, very healthy and happy, and I am thankful for the childhood I had. Looking back I can see that my California childhood friends were 8 going on 24, but my NH childhood friends were 8 going on, like, 12. MUCH better.

Seriously, it's harder for me to give you an answer, since due to my age my perception was a bit skewed, but I remember the biggest transition (apart from the weather, which I'll address in a minute) for my mother was the social reticence here. People are MUCH less likely to say hi, smile or even make eye contact with passersby in the supermarket aisles. I think it can feel a bit isolating at first, but it's something you get used to as you realize that it's not that people are rude, it's simply a lack of that shiny veneer you're so used to.

Honestly, I like when people feel comfortable smiling and saying hi to strangers, and I don't feel that friendliness is equivalent to phoniness, but back East people are simply a bit more reserved.

I'd imagine Connecticut may be less reserved than NH, however. I don't know Connecticut all that well, but it seems amazing. Close to NYC, but also relatively close to Boston (an absolutely beautiful city filled with culture and history. I love Boston.) Definitely do your major shopping in tax free New Hampshire, and definitely take the time to explore northern NH, Vermont, Maine, and even Quebec and Montreal.

Regarding the weather, things are definitely changing, what with global warming, but in general I have spent every year but one in New England since I was 8 and my honest take on the weather in New England is this: Winter (usually, not so much this year, however) starts somewhere around November. It gets cold, sometimes bitter, but when it snows for the first time, it's absolutely amazing. The winter lasts a long time here, and even the snow starts to lose its novelty. The shoveling, the roads, the driving, it's all obnoxious, I won't lie. However, as daunting as it may seem, when you're in the middle of it, it's simply a part of life. And as annoying as the winter may be, there is nothing better than coming inside to a cozy kitchen when you've been out shoveling snow. It's a very snuggly season. I recommend finding someone who can truly teach you how to drive through snow. It's something you need to learn how to do.

Winter lasts until around late Feb/Early March, then March and into April are where this "mud season" occurs. It's not that there's a ridiculous amount of mud, it's just that it's still cold, but since the snow is over, it's not pretty. I'll be honest, March is the bane of my existence. April rains a lot, but then here's where I disagree that there is no Spring in New England. At the end of April, and in May, all of a sudden the sun comes out, the air smells GORGEOUS, the trees start to grow leaves, and it's like the treasure you get at the end of a very long journey. It's absolutely the most wonderful feeling, that first day when you wake up, walk to your car and feel glad to be alive because you get to experience this weather.

Summer happens in June, July and August, heading into September. It's hot, pretty humid, and the mosquitoes can be pretty annoying, but it's still absolutely beautiful. Lush, lush trees and bushes, flowers everywhere, it's really nice. Lots of opportunity to go to the beach (where the water is still very cold, mind you), to go to lakes, swimming holes in rivers, etc. There's a LOT to do in the summer in New England, lots of gorgeous mountains to hike, summer theater, quaint little towns to go shopping in, etc.

In mid-September through October is the best season of all, Fall. Brisk, clean days, the trees are on fire with foliage, the smell of wood burning, pumpkin pies, etc. It really is gorgeous. This is when you should take road trips through Vermont. Even the major highways are gorgeous in Vermont. The only downside to fall is that it's leading back into winter, but then the Holidays come, it starts to snow and it all feels just right.

Yes, the winters are long, and yes the people can be very anti-social, but there is no place like New England. I think that even if you spend a couple years here and decide you absolutely can't live with it, there's no way you'll regret your decision, because there's no way you can hate all of it. I definitely recommend moving here, giving it a shot.

Good luck!

A great Post Boo

Sadly I have not the foggiest idea how to retrieve the information you need.
I am leaving as Connecticut moderator July 31st- I have had more then enough, believe me.

Peter

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-23-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 01:45 PM

That post helped a lot. I wonder if allergies are bad, but in TN they are really bad. I don't normally have allergies but when I moved to TN all of a sudden I had them. so I am going to think I would not have a problem since I didn't in NJ

Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
That post helped a lot. I wonder if allergies are bad, but in TN they are really bad. I don't normally have allergies but when I moved to TN all of a sudden I had them. so I am going to think I would not have a problem since I didn't in NJ
I think it really depends what you are allergic to and what parts of a state you live in. I was born and lived at the Jersey shore until I was almost 25 and I never had allergies when I lived by the ocean. I moved to South Jersey-right outside of Philly and I had horrible allergies there-I was miserable. When we lived in Nashua, NH and Concord NH allergies were bad for me but not as bad as outside of Philly-that was the worst ever. Now that I live in Laconia-allergies are so-so. In the beginning of allergy season is the worst-especially with that awful green pollen everywhere

The weird thing is that my husband had bad allergies when we first met and his have become much better as he has gotten older. I seem to suffer more than him now.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Nicolem,
Everytime I visit NJ my allergies are gone. I grew up north east part of NJ and had a shore house and never had a problem in either places. Maybe I am just allergic to the outside of the state?
how is living in NH compared to NJ? My husband and I might be moving there in the near future. Is it easy too adjust to the areas? I have talked to many people who lived or grew up in NJ and miss it so much. why do we move away if we love it so much? I know I couldn't afford a home in NJ like we have here in TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire