Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:22 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhampshiregirl View Post
After reading some of your posts about the difficulty finding jobs, I realized that almost everyone I know is working in a position/industry/career/job (whatever you want to call it) that has nothing to do with their college major. In fact, I can only think of a few people that are working at anything remotely related to their majors.

I majored in social work and have credits towards a master's in counseling...never done anything in that field. My husband was a history major with a minor in New Hampshire Studies...never done anything in that field.

At least in our neck of the woods, you find whatever job pays the bills and makes you happy (hopefully both at the same time).

Anyone else find this to be the case?
Dh's degrees are in electrical engineering, and that is his career. But he looked in this area (Southern NH and Boston) and found the job before we moved. Also, Northern New England is the origination site of integrated circuit design, although it hasn't boomed as much as silicon valley and the research triangle in Raleigh, NC. Probably has a lot to do with climate and maybe cost of living in NC.

So I would say it probably has a lot to do with individual fields of study. I was a music major, and I know tons of them ended up going into a an entirely different field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 AM

56 posts, read 180,892 times
I moved here 7 months ago after living in a suburb of Los Angeles for 10 years. My husband and I both grew up in Connecticut though so I thought it would be a pretty easy transition. I like a lot of things about being here. The nature and seasons. People also seem so be much more down to earth. I have to be honest though and say that I do miss CA a lot. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we have small children and I feel isolated here and am having some trouble making friends. People are just more reserved. I am not sure what we will do or where we belong but I do think New Hampshire has many wonderful things about it.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

179 posts, read 436,087 times
I've only been here for a few months, but I really like it so far. The people I have met are wonderful and honest. For instance, I just bought a John Deere tractor. When I asked about the different models, the salesman asked about the property and what else, besides mowing, that I wanted it for and helped me make my decision. He talked me out of higher priced models saying that they wouldn't be worth the money for what I wanted and told me what other equipment to buy (that they did NOT sell) instead of buying a more expensive tractor. He gets paid on commission, so I really appreciated the honesty. Everyone has been very, very helpful and friendly. I can't wait to see my first NH winter though. I LOVE the snow and hope we get lots of it.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Default Deja Vu?

Hi Debbie... You may have already posted this, but where did you move here from? The last person who came to New Hampshire and uttered almost these exact same words was in a HATE/HATE relationship with our state before the start of the new year. She arrived in May or June 2007, and if I'm remembering correctly, didn't quite make a full year...

Please be careful what you wish for cuz it might just come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej63 View Post
Everyone has been very, very helpful and friendly. I can't wait to see my first NH winter though. I LOVE the snow and hope we get lots of it.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely right Wanna. But, man, that degree can be some expensive wallpaper, huh? I have a son in college now and a daughter who's a senior in h.s. and shopping around for colleges. I'm torn between wanting them to go to good/prestigious colleges and going to an affordable state university or technical school because my experience has shown that the name of the college and the degree major don't always equate with your ultimate career choice and income level.

My husband always said that that paper gets you your first job, then experience takes over. This is coming from a man with 2 degrees from 2 very good engineering schools. Nobody cared which college he went to in over 20 years. Most of the people we know agree. I think saving money by going with a good instate state univ is the way to go. If you are strapped for money, do the first 2 yrs in a community college that costs less than 1 semester at the univ, then finish the last 2 yrs at the univ. The degree has the univ name, yet only costs half as much. It's the effort given at the job that really counts.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Hi Debbie... You may have already posted this, but where did you move here from? The last person who came to New Hampshire and uttered almost these exact same words was in a HATE/HATE relationship with our state before the start of the new year. She arrived in May or June 2007, and if I'm remembering correctly, didn't quite make a full year...

Please be careful what you wish for cuz it might just come true

Lol.... I grew up in Limerick, PA. I met my husband when we worked at the same semiconductor co in PA. We moved to Phoenix, AZ for 10 years (which I spent the whole time hating, 118 the day I moved??? Are you for real? I was ready to get back on that plane and head home to PA). Then we did the 5 states in 8 yrs tour going from Phx to Youngsville, NC (hated it), then Edgewood, NM (which I loved!), then Plainfield, IL (just so so). I have an illness that makes heat very, very difficult for me. Thankfully, I have always loved the cold and the snow. Growing up in PA, we usually had at least one major snowstorm that totally buried the cars a year, sometimes more. We had snow all winter long there. That's a lot more snow than they get now, but less than you guys get here. The bitter cold with windchills at -45 for weeks on end, was common in IL, so I think I'll be ok.

Every place I've lived, the first several months seemed to set the tone for how I felt during the duration. Hopefully, it will ring true here too.

I work out of home, so curling up by the fire with my computer, cats and dogs is just fine for me. I tend to enjoy pets and wildlife company more than people's most of the time. So, I can just sit back and admire the pretty white scenery while trudging out a few times to feed the birds and critters instead of driving in it.

I do remember driving up to northern Maine as a kid to spend some time in winter at my stepfather's brother's cabin. Shoveling the snow off the roof was sort of fun, but avoiding the porcupines in the outhouse wasn't. Thankfully, our new house has indoor plumbing.

I told my husband that the US tour was OVER!!! Hopefully, I'll still be chatting here this time next year. The odds are pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire