Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 15,678 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Penacook in less than 10 days from Wisconsin. I found my apartment online and have never seen it which is scary but necessary. I couldn't come out before I needed to move because of money and time constraints. I am going to be attending Pierce Law which I understand to be about 6 miles away. I hope that the aparment I chose isn't awful (Penwood apartments)!

Anyways I was hoping to get some insight from people in the area and learn something about Penacook before I head out East. Im guessing that there will be a small town feel which would be great. Is there a grocery store or a pharmacy in Penacook or will I be going into Concord for everything? I read on here somewhere that Penacook is really close to downtown Concord so thats not a huge issue I would just like to save gas and shop close to home.

Also what is the public transportation like? Is there a bus that runs from Penacook into Concord? Does Concord even have a public bus line? I know that I should have researched all of this a long time ago but I only decided to move out there and go to Law school a few months ago and I have been working my butt off this summer saving some money.

Oh and this may sound weird but is there a strong accent or will I seem to have a strong accent to people in the area? The accent people in Boston have makes me giggle. But I have only been exposed to the "Boston" accent on tv shows for the most part. So I could be way off on what to expect.

Any helpful info is welcomed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
I moved out of Penacook in October. I lived in an apartment there from 2001-2007. I am not trying to be negative but the apartment really went downhill there and I am very glad to be out of there. People were caught running grow houses in the apartment, drugs galore, it really became a crappy place to live. Shortly after we moved out- someone broke in the glass slider of the apartment two doors down from where we lived. I was not in a cheap apartment either.

I have not heard of Penwood Apts-where in Penacook is it? Maybe if I now the area I will know more about it.

If you live in Penacook, you will need to go into Concord for a grocery store There is Thirty Pines but I would not consider that a grocery store-more like a large convienence store. Penacook has the Penacook Pharmacy on Village street but it is not like CVS. I used to get my prescriptions there but as far as other things the selection is limited and it is quite expensive.

Concord has bus service and it runs on Fisherville road-the main road through Penacook. I am not sure how expanded and frequent it is however.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 15,678 times
I dont really know the area I only have seen a map but the apartment is on Penwood Dr. They have like 12 apartment buildings there. I think it is off of Lilac St which runs from Hwy 3 to Borough St. I noticed on the map that Rolfe Park is nearby.

Thanks for the info. I might move into Concord next year but I want a cheaper place to live so maybe Penwood apts. will be okay.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:42 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoGirl View Post
I dont really know the area I only have seen a map but the apartment is on Penwood Dr. They have like 12 apartment buildings there. I think it is off of Lilac St which runs from Hwy 3 to Borough St. I noticed on the map that Rolfe Park is nearby.

Thanks for the info. I might move into Concord next year but I want a cheaper place to live so maybe Penwood apts. will be okay.
I just found the website and showed my husband. We know the area and it is ok. I wonder if it used to have another name-we are not really sure.

I know that you asked about public transportation. However, if you are going to use a car be aware that Fisherville road is not fun. There will be a lot of construction. Also you can google and see the horrible job that the city did on Fisherville road last winter. Many people needed to get new tires from the hundreds of pot holes that were ignored by the city. Just so you are aware.

The area that you are in on some days it may be easier to get on 93 at exit 17 area and take that to Concord instead of Fisherville road. After living there a while you will figure it out on what days and times to take which-that is if you drive a car.

Good Luck-

If you have any other questons-please ask.

Nicolem

Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
First off, welcome to the NH forum.
As for your accent...yes you will sound different. If I remember correctly, your accent is probably a bit more nasal (no offense!!!). The area you will be in has a mixture; some "Bostonish", some north country (slightly French Canadian). It's hard to say, though. Most don't "have" an accent per se. With some, you just have to watch our for the "missing" R. Some have a tendency to say "ah" instead of a hard "R". Sort of like "cah" for "car" and "haad" for "hard". You get the picture. You won't have problems, but don't be surprised if people ask you where you are from! Your accent is much harder to pin-point than mine!! When I moved up here from NY, they immediately knew where I was from!! That one was a dead give-a-way! LOL! The TV "Boston" accent is a bit over the top sometimes, but I do know people who talk like that!! Think Charles Emerson Winchester from the show M*A*S*H. That was a good one!

Have fun in Condord. It's a likable town. I always enjoy it when I visit. Don't forget to get Vinnie's pizza and have lunch at the Barley House!! Make sure you stop by again if you have questions. Good luck at school!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire