Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,932,096 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I'm enjoying reading all about NH as I plan to move there in the near future. My question: Can anyone tell me about the Granite State Symphony?? I'm interested in quality of performance, repertoire, and would like to know if they use Baroque tuning or modern?

Also, if there are other live orchestras or groups who major in classical music, please mention that, too.

Also, does NH allow smoking in public, specifically restaurants? I'm extremely sensitive (can't breathe) to cigarette smoke, so it's important to me.

Thanks so much
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:51 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,437 times
No smoking in restaurants any more in NH And, you might want to check out the NH Philharmonic Orchestra.....http://www.nhphil.org/ I had a friend who played first chair violin in this orchestra....but I don't know any more details than that!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
I was the manager for the NH Symphony Orchestra for 8 years. They are the states only professional UNION member orchestra. They play 6 concerts annually, plus they used to do 18 performances of the Nutcracker at Christmas.

The philharmonic orchestra is very similar, but the players are amateurs for the most part and are not union members.

The Granite State symphony is one of the newer symphonies and is based in Concord.

There is also the Nashua Symphony and Choral Society. They tend to play more popular pieces of music that patrons are familiar with, whereas the NH Symphony will tend to play newer music. Sometimes the newer pieces are not as well received as the old standbys.

I remember one performance at the Palace Theatre in Manchester where a customer walked out because he couldn't stand to hear "the band warming up". LOL I guess he didn't like the new music.....

Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you, AngelaK, for the VALUABLE information!
I'll definitely check out the Philharmonic!
Can't wait!
J

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Thank you, "Buck!"
Good information. I'm looking forward to trying them all out.
The only time I felt like walking out on a performance (didn't) was when the Charlotte Symphony played "The Superman Symphony" (I believe that was the name.) AWFUL!!
Some people, obviously in the know, did leave before that piece started. Now I know!
Honestly, I really enjoy the tune-up sessions before the concerts!

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 08-15-2008 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-15-2008, 06:42 PM

oh gosh!!!! I can't believe it... I haven't been to a NHSO performance in 5 years, and now it looks like I'm too late. http://www.nhpr.org/node/5822

the last report I read stated that the NHSO was cancelling performances because they were in the red and weren't pulling out. Sheesh! We were always in the red. That's why we were a non-profit organization...

Who would have thunk it?

Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Thank you, "Buck!"
Good information. I'm looking forward to trying them all out.
The only time I felt like walking out on a performance (didn't) was when the Charlotte Symphony played "The Superman Symphony" (I believe that was the name.) AWFUL!!
Some people, obviously in the know, did leave before that piece started. Now I know!
Honlesly, I really enjoy the tune-up sessions before the concerts!
Welcome to the NH board - and hope you find the perfect place for you in NH

Old 08-15-2008, 06:44 PM

The only time I felt like walking out on a performance (didn't) was when the Charlotte Symphony played "The Superman Symphony"

LOL - I believe that is the piece that was being played... We did it up big of course. We had a beefy kid standing out front in a superman leotard. We also had the guy the played "Jimmy Olson" in the old superman series as a guest and he passed out signed photographs of himself.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Default Great Post JoanD'Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Hi, everyone! I'm enjoying reading all about NH as I plan to move there in the near future. My question: Can anyone tell me about the Granite State Symphony?? I'm interested in quality of performance, repertoire, and would like to know if they use Baroque tuning or modern?

Also, if there are other live orchestras or groups who major in classical music, please mention that, too.

Also, does NH allow smoking in public, specifically restaurants? I'm extremely sensitive (can't breathe) to cigarette smoke, so it's important to me.Thanks so much J
Great Post! Welcome to the board JoanD'Arc! On the orchestral level from what I know they do play mostly Classical and Romantic Era music, however they will be playing some baroque this fall I think??? But I do not know if they will ever play anything other than the baroque Headliners like Bach & Vivaldi. I cannot recall if they ever played any music from Scarlatti, Couperin or Rameau who is one of my favorites. I am not sure if this particular Orchestra is a certified "Chamber Orchestra" like the New York Chamber Orchestra aka NY Chamber Players.

As far as smoking goes I do know that during any indoor concertno smoking allowed! Hope that helps you.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 PM

"I am not sure if this particular Orchestra is a certified "Chamber Orchestra" like the New York Chamber Orchestra aka NY Chamber Players."

hmmmmm. interesting. I've never heard the term before...'certified' orchestra.

I've heard of certified musicians, but that is just musicians that are certified to teach music in public schools. Who would the orchestra be certified by?

curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire