Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 03:22 PM

141 posts, read 282,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexicana View Post
I think other people will chime in on the tax issues, but one big thing that I have found different about NH than CA or MA is the amount of charitable giving going on. A lot of great charities float on private support. I wonder if a lot of that support might be coming from those who you describe who are without income and renting, or owning a low cost home . . .just a thought. There is a great "community support" feeling here.

Would anyone have any info regarding Derry's Property Tax?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 PM

914 posts, read 2,920,044 times
jja100, where do you live in CA? You pay the same sales tax rate as I do, 7.25.

I'd like to visit NH sometime. Perhaps if I vacation in upstate NY next summer, I can drive over there. How long would you say it takes to drive to NH from central NY?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:30 PM

526 posts, read 1,757,064 times
Im in ventura county... LA county right next door is 8.25 for sales I believe.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:37 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbarcreek View Post
Would anyone have any info regarding Derry's Property Tax?

Thanks

To save you some puzzlement, go to this site and download the pdf 2007 (http://www.nh.gov/revenue/munc_prop/2007.htm - broken link)
it has the tax rates for every town in NH - all broken down into who gets how much slice. Makes it easy to compare! Mind you, this is last year's chart - it looks like they may be getting ready to put up '08 since they have a link, but it doesn't look like the chart is there.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:42 PM

This link is for Sandbarcreek.

http://www.jacksonteamre.com/images/2007taxrates.pdf

It has the total rates for every town in NH.

Derry is 22.05 total tax rate per $1000 of valuation. Find out what the assessed value is or the property tax and you can solve the equation with the above figures for either assessed or tax.

Lan lines are becoming extremely expensive. I am just about ready to drop it completely and replace it with a pay as you go cell phone with t-mobile. For $100 bucks/year you can get 1000 anytime minutes with your cell phone with voicemail, caller id etc. That comes out to 8 bucks/month that you can call anywhere in the US. But if you are a big conversationalist or have relatives that you talk to cross country I would just get vonage for 25 bucks per month.

I am sick of cable TV too. I only find myself watching fox news and cnn money for the stock market. No need to watch the weather channel... I can predict the forecast for the next year lol. They took away a lot of other programming that I liked such as ZDTV and some movie channels and replaced them with more Mexican/Japanese and some Middle Eastern Channels. I am ready to cut that off too and just pay for my high speed internet and follow the news and stock market online instead.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:59 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
man, we are paying way too much for phone! for local & long distance, plus call waiting & caller ID.. I think our land-line bill is around $90! geez. Our sat TV is the same, though: about $60. Don't move to MD (flippin' nanny state), it's way too expensive.
I don't pay for a Land line "package", e.g. flat fee and all "local" calls are free. I pay for metered service. I get about 30 free local calls for around $7/mth (incoming is free obviously). Throw in taxes and you're at about $15. I believe all telcos have to offer a basic metered service. Caller ID is junk in my veiw. Anybody you'd actually want to screen comes up as "out of area" anyway (that and they want $7.50 a month for it for crying out loud).

Old 08-31-2008, 06:20 PM

Anybody have any info regarding insurance for New Hampshire?

For instance what are the different types of insurance that a typical NH resident will have?

I am assuming you will probably only take out house insurance and flood insurance.

Does anybody has any insight regarding premium cost and coverage?

In CA most people only have house insurance and maybe earthquake insurance. Earthquake insurance is not really worth it since big earthquakes that might cause some damage come once every 20-30 years and I believe they have huge deductibles which makes it less attractive.

So if someone can share more specifically on flood insurance and what it covers as well as some good companies to go with and pricing for peeps to take notes on. Does flood insurance cover hurricane damage etc.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:42 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,178,551 times
We have homeowner's and car insurance. When we moved, we called various companies, told them what we wanted in terms of coverage and got quotes. Each year we call around to see who has the best rates, since one year one company may give the best rates/coverage, the next year another one will be better. If a person rents, they should have renter's insurance to cover their belongings, as the landlords policy will not cover the renter's belongings.

I'm not positive, but I know years ago, when I was married to an insurance salesman, the only way you could get flood insurance was if you were in a flood plane designated by the government and that insurance was sold through the govt.....but that may have changed.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:57 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,469 times
Regarding the question of utilities, one thing that stands out here is that 1) we are paying more for our telephone (landline) and internet, maybe because 2) we only had one provider to choose from here, Fairpoint. I did a comparison with Comcast, and Fairpoint was cheaper for internet if I bundled it with the phone, but overall it was more than what we paid in CA. There we had a different provider for each service. So AT&T for local, ECG for long distance, Time Warner for cable modem. We didn't get cable for TV, and here we're not getting DirectTV as part of our package.

As for tax burden, we really can't make a comparison because we didn't own a home in CA. It was too flippin' expensive. Here in Bedford, we own a home that is about 2-3 times cheaper than a comparable home would cost in Torrance, where we used to live, and it's in a top school district, which Torrance wasn't, although it was pretty good by CA standards. Now I'm sure that our property taxes are much higher here, but it seems to us that it's going to benefit us directly, and not just in the way of schools.

Also, my Dh just told me that we are paying much less here for car insurance, woot!

Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Well, lan line fees can be avoided by using vonage or cellular but internet is a must in my book. Internet is just too usefull, from news, downloads, media coverage, online banking, investing, buying things etc. I can do without TV but not without 6mb cable internet. Also in NH it seems as though they don't have water and waste water bills and some do not even have garbage bills either which saves them a lot of money but they make up for it if they use oil in their homes for heating. Although I read somewhere that anthracite coal costs $150 per ton with a 5 ton consumption per winter?? That is about 750 bucks per winter which is about the same as my water and waste water for the year here in CA.

My primary concern was insurance... you really need home insurance here in CA with high crime in some parts for theft/roberies and the wild fires. In NH I hear crime is low but I am not sure about fires. If there aren't too many fires (which I assume they don't because of all the snow and humidity in the summer prevents this) then I would drop home insurance all together and just pick up flood if it is possible to obtain. Cause my biggest fear would be hurricane/tornado, and flood up there. Down here it is fire, earthquake, and theft. But I am not too worried about theft cause I have two trained dobermanns that live in the house with me and I have an HK .45 USP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire