Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 07:15 PM

909 posts, read 3,363,878 times

Advertisements

Because the last thread on private septic was so informative, I'm hoping the knowledgeable ones here can help me out again. Our tank and leach field is 38 years old. At inspection the tank was in good condition, and the field was in fair condition. On the report the inspector said that since both had already outlived it's projection time, he couldn't guarantee how much longer it would last. He did suggest to Dh that we get it pumped annually. We thought we'd pump it each year for two years, and see how things went.

Now, the previous owners were a childless couple and lived in it for 15 years, the last 4 years, just the wife. We are a family of four, possibly five. Currently we do 3-4 loads of laundry a week. The inspector recommended not doing more than one load a day, so as not to stress the system too much. Recently we are considering switching to cloth diapering. This would add 3 loads of laundry a week. Our concern is that this might be too much for the leach field. As an added consideration, we are thinking of switching from regular detergent to something like Charlie's Laundry Soap.

So, we'd like to know, what is the cost of replacing the leach field only, in the event that it fails? The other thread quoted that replacing the entire system would run about $10k, possibly more. I was assuming that was the tank + the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
here's an idea to throw in the mix....

IF the system can limp a long a while longer if it has a reduced (say, current) load.. consider the cost of a diaper service vs the cost of currently replacing the system? I don't know if it would make a difference, but if it does, it might stave off the inevitable until you might be able to afford it better? Just a thought.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
here's an idea to throw in the mix....

IF the system can limp a long a while longer if it has a reduced (say, current) load.. consider the cost of a diaper service vs the cost of currently replacing the system? I don't know if it would make a difference, but if it does, it might stave off the inevitable until you might be able to afford it better? Just a thought.
Fortunately, affording the system right now isn't a real issue. BUT I can see if there are diaper services around here. In all of SoCal there was only one. We used it for a while and it was great while my older daughter was a little baby. But they only offer one type of diaper, which didn't work so well when she got older.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:59 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
So, we'd like to know, what is the cost of replacing the leach field only, in the event that it fails? The other thread quoted that replacing the entire system would run about $10k, possibly more. I was assuming that was the tank + the field.
There are a few factors to be considered when trying to price out a replacement leach bed. Your present system size is determined by the amount of "Bedrooms" in your home. However, it is not unusual to find a so called 4 bedroom home operating on a 3 bedroom system. The more "Bedrooms" required, the larger the system has to be.

Secondly, the rate of peculation (water passing through the soil) also determines the size of the area required. For instance, if the soil in the location of the proposed leach bed is sandy, then water will pass through it quicker (say 5 minutes to lower the water level 1 inch) then if it consisted more of clay (say 20 minutes to the inch). This is why peculation test are required when a system is being designed. The slower the rate, the larger the leach bed area.

Also, materials have changed since your system was installed which may reduce the size of the leach bed you require. Of course, on the other hand, if the original design was based on poor information, such as faulty test procedures, then trying to determine size requirements may be quite different with a new peculation test which may be needed.

If you can supply any additional information, it would help. But, guess wise, I'd say $5,000 to $7,000 depending upon your contractor.

You may also consider calling a local septic system designer. They just may come out to visit for an estimate and you'll get a price a lot closer then you'll receive here.

Hope this helps.......

Old 09-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post

If you can supply any additional information, it would help. But, guess wise, I'd say $5,000 to $7,000 depending upon your contractor.

You may also consider calling a local septic system designer. They just may come out to visit for an estimate and you'll get a price a lot closer then you'll receive here.

Hope this helps.......
Thanks jthibodeau, that does help. The only additional info I can think of was that the inspector saw a few inches of water on the bottom. But he thought that may have been due to 1) heavy rains, and/or 2) the fact that the water softener was backwashing into the septic tank instead of the sump pump. #2 is something Dh is planning on changing. Also, I don't know if this has any bearing on it, but our house was built by William Morin, who I'm told is somewhat of a local legend in Bedford. Different people have told us everything that went into the houses on our street (materials, craftmanship, fixtures) were top of the line in the 70s. I don't know if this attention to detail extended to the septic system, but I guess it's possible since it's lasted longer than the average projection.

BTW, am I right in being concerned that 3 extra loads of laundry a week may put a lot of strain on the leach bed?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM

452 posts, read 1,733,962 times
Your inspector sounds correct. Without actually being there or observing the same results, the reasons certainly are reasonable. Also, at times, the pumping service may not be able to pump the affluent to the actual bottom of the tank.

The additional loads of laundry will be an additional load to your system. One thing you may do to help is stagger the times of heavy usage if possible. In all reality, I suspect that if you do over load your system, it will show by a poor toilet flush, an over flow if you have any lower sinks/showers/floor drains or water showing up on or around the system. If this should happen, it may require some time for the levels to drop or recede before you may reuse the system without an over flow.

Good Luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire