Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:19 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times

Advertisements

ayuh - we had a porkie that would visit the barns regularly

she got hit by a car....

I did mention them earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
We have 4 dogs and they (porkys) can wreak havoc
on them and other pets if you are not careful.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
We have 4 dogs and they (porkys) can wreak havoc
on them and other pets if you are not careful.
Oh yeah! I remember when I was in 12th grade: we had two newfoundlands. If they both got out at the same time (no one used leashes much then), they were guaranteed to come back with a mouth full of quills! If you let only one loose and put the other on the chain, then they were fine.

I still remember trying to wrestle the poor dog wedged under the counter in a corner and pull quills out with hemostats. We couldn't take them to the vet very often to get sedated since whatever they used (which apparently was a low dose of the 'purple needle') built up in the bloodstream over the summer. You could only do it a couple of times. So... we would give them 1/2miltown and pull them ourselves. And try not to let them out at the same time.

Those baby quills are tough!!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:23 AM

452 posts, read 1,734,092 times
Back in the 50's and 60's I remember hearing the call of the "whip-poor-will" just before dark. Has anyone here heard the late evening call of this bird lately? I've been wondering if they are still in the state with all the expansion over the last few decades. I haven't heard one in ages.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:15 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
we have whip-poor-wills still

I hear the pheasants call out in the evening also. We also have quail that I see now and then. Years ago, walking in the woods with my boy, one ran out of the bush and charged the child. She must have had a nest in there. He was so excited that he saw a 'wild chicken'!

lots of songbirds - bluebirds, gold finch, cardinals, baltimore orioles

Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 AM

639 posts, read 3,528,368 times
Every winter lately right after Christmas, we always see this white Snow Owl along the marsh, it's so beautiful!

360_6037_1_650.jpg photo - gang photos at pbase.com

Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,726,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
Every winter lately right after Christmas, we always see this white Snow Owl along the marsh, it's so beautiful!

360_6037_1_650.jpg photo - gang photos at pbase.com
That reminds me of the winter mink I saw run across my backyard
just after the first snow last season. Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
I'm in Londonderry, and we've seen coyotes on occasion, lots of deer, have heard fisher cats on 2 occasions (OMG it's the scariest sound I've ever heard!) and saw one run across the street when they were doing some logging in my neighborhood. It was HUGE, and looked more like a little bear than a weasel. At least I think it was a fisher cat, maybe (??) it was actually a small bear? hmmm... Anyway, in the last couple of weeks there've been turkeys in my neighborhood, my dog has been skunked 2x in 6 years in his own yard (after 11 PM) and of course grey and red squirrels, chipmonks, rabbits. We had a beautiful red-tail hawk circling the yard over the weekend, and we regularly have Eastern Bluebirds, Gold Finches, cardinals in the yard (no feeders, as I've been told that if you have feeders, you'll have an increase of ticks due to more critters). Guess that's about it... Oh and while I've never seen one in southern NH, when I lived in Haverhill, MA (on the NH border) we had a moose walk down our street, maybe 15 years ago...

Old 09-29-2008, 07:57 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
That reminds me of the winter mink I saw run across my backyard
just after the first snow last season. Thanks
That would probably be a weasel or ermine if assuming by "winter" you mean a white coat. Minks don't change color with the season, the other two do.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
There is a family of wild turkey that keeps wandering the neighborhood. Sometimes they'll be in my yard, sometimes in a neighbor's yard. I can't figure out if they are aggressive or not, but I usually keep my kids inside if they're really close by. There is a small bat roosting in our roof (on the outside), and dozens of chipmunks running around every day. There is also some kind of burrowing creature that keeps making these mounds of dirt in our front yard. Mole, maybe? Too small for gophers.

Now bears freak me out. I hope they don't come wandering around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire