Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times

Advertisements

Valerie, JThibodeau, Greg- Here's my take.

On self-supporting costs & instituting it now: This is probably bad for inspectors now in a down market since it is more costly. However it will also reduce competition. Once the market picks up it means that the inspectors who stick it out now will be ahead of the game. There is something to be said for "NH Licensed since XXXX" in my opinion from a marketing standpoint.

On Government involvement- It's not that government involvement that is inherently bad; it's how the program is instituted. For example in my career there are about 2 major "certifications" from professional associations and a 3-step government run certification program. The professional association certs look great on paper and make those associations a good bit of money (and do test your knowledge but...not so-specific and the continuing ed is so-so) but the government run certification program is intense and much more specific. Level III (highest) is required by the government for me to be in my current job. Is that bad? No, it's great. The certification ensures that I have a necessary minimum body of knowledge and that adds value for my customers and I actually did learn a lot in the training & continuing education- further adding value.

That said...I can also cite dozens of counter examples- so it depends on the program.

Personally- for home inspectors I think a certification is a good idea; but only if it actually involves testing knowledge, REAL continuing education on valid topics, and actually provides some form of "added value" for the consumer. Perhaps making it "optional" makes sense? Either way- the key is making it a meaningful certification...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
just wanted to add a little bit - you can never tell if the site has hazardous waste just by looking - there was a case a while back of farmland being sold to a developer. One would think that farmland would be free and clear of hazardous waste, but it turned out that the farmer used a lot of pesticides and stored barrels of it on the property and they leaked into the ground affecting the ground water.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM

452 posts, read 1,733,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
And jathibodeau, would government improve inspections in any way, shape or form??
Good question, Val. I can see both sides. Licensing of Home Inspectors in New Hampshire should tend to weed out the less knowledgeable, giving "added value" to the consumer, as mentioned by BF. However, notice I said "should" instead of "will".

The average consumer will consider licensing, with government oversight, nothing but a "good thing". But, we all know that once government gets control of most programs, they tend to screw it up big time. That is my opinion, at least.

I attended a number of hearings in Concord concerning Bill 212. From the start I could tell that this bill was headed for the desk of the Governor. My feelings were, right or wrong, that the sitting members of the House and Senate, were simply trying to add additional dollars to their coffers to bolster their financial deficit, with consumer protection as their mantra.

I find myself getting a bit close to one of those unspeakable subjects (politics) for me here. So, I'm going to move on....

BF talked about "certifications". And, I heartily agree with what you've stated, BF. Certification can create a baseline for knowledge in a particular field of expertise. Continuing education is also a benefit, even to an "Old Dog" like myself.

Being a Member of a recognized national organization, by passing testing procedures and accomplishing yearly continuing education requirements, allows the consumer their best chance for a quality job. Will Licensing improve on that? I highly doubt it, for the state is basing their licensing on exactly that. It's already in place, if only the consumer will take the time to check.

As you may be able to tell, Government intervention on all levels, is not one of my favorite subjects. After all, unlike most of us here, the Government can't even live within their budget. If you or I were to control our finances in such a way, we'd be living in the "Gray Bar Hotel"!

Enough said......I gotta go earn some money to pay my taxes....everyone have a glorious day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire