Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:44 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times

Advertisements

Hey, gang! I'm still thinking of the best place for me to live in NH and am wondering if anyone could locate any "arts communities" for me. I don't know if that has an official definition, but I'm thinking of small communities where creative people seem to find themselves living. Hope that makes sense!!!
Any help would be appreciated.
PS: If it's in Southern NH, so much the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,137,371 times
not familiar with any near the southern part of the state - however, there are fairly large artistic communities in Peterborough, Cornish, Dublin, Plainfield, No. Conway, and Tamworth.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:56 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,233 times
I consider Peterborough the arts capital of NH. It's home to the Macdowell Colony, which hosts some of the country's best writers and artists and attracts a lot of creative people to the area.

The MacDowell Colony (http://www.macdowellcolony.org/indexmac.html - broken link)

Portsmouth is the other city with a lot of cultural amenities. There's an annual film festival, a music hall that broadcasts films of the Metropolitan Opera, and live theater.

There is an artists' association around North Conway:

MWVArts Association (http://mwvarts.ning.com/ - broken link)

and I frequently see people painting by the side of the road, but I wouldn't say it's an "arts community" compared to Peterborough and Portsmouth.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
The Littleton/Bethlehem area also has quite a few people involved in the arts - from painting, photography to music.
Our Roots for example is active in the area - there are frequent showings here in Littleton.

There is also League of NH Craftsmen promotes the creation and use of fine craft. and League of N.H. Craftsmen Littleton Retail Gallery (http://www.nhcrafts.org/localsites/littleton.htm - broken link) for those who are "crafty" as well as artistic - some of this work is amazing....especially to someone like me who isn't at all "artsy" or "crafty"

There are local writers with frequent book signings at the Village Book Store and a number of excellent musicians in the area, although you have to really look for some of them

Granted, we're not in southern NH, but there are quite a few very talented and creative people in both Littleton and the surrounding areas.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 AM

Thank you to all for the great info!!! I tried to give you all rep but have been spreading it around to not enough people, apparently!
DaretoDream, where is the Village Book Store... is that Littleton?
This info could make me change my direction as far as where to live in NH. I have looked at Conway and N. Conway and decided it was too far north. Maybe not!!
Thanks again to all. If anyone knows of more artsy areas, please leave a post here!!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:27 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,176,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Thank you to all for the great info!!! I tried to give you all rep but have been spreading it around to not enough people, apparently!
DaretoDream, where is the Village Book Store... is that Littleton?
This info could make me change my direction as far as where to live in NH. I have looked at Conway and N. Conway and decided it was too far north. Maybe not!!
Thanks again to all. If anyone knows of more artsy areas, please leave a post here!!
Yes - the Village Book Store is in Littleton - here's their website: The Village Book Store -- Littleton, NH They used to have a link to subscribe to their newsletter, but I don't see it now

My email is enabled and I have their latest newsletter - if you want to email me, I can forward it to you - it gives a better "feel" for the store than their website does

Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Talking no read no books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Yes - the Village Book Store is in Littleton - here's their website: The Village Book Store -- Littleton, NH They used to have a link to subscribe to their newsletter, but I don't see it now

My email is enabled and I have their latest newsletter - if you want to email me, I can forward it to you - it gives a better "feel" for the store than their website does

don't beleave it... dare doesn't know how to read...ha ha ha

Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,898 times
You might look at Etsy, too, they have a "local" filter that might pinpoint some arts people.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 PM

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
don't beleave it... dare doesn't know how to read...ha ha ha
What is the matter with you????

Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Default Missed something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
You might look at Etsy, too, they have a "local" filter that might pinpoint some arts people.
Did I miss something here? What is Etsy??
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire