Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 AM

196 posts, read 276,005 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if you live in NH, but work in MA. Do you have to pay MA Sate tax?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:24 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedme View Post
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knows what happens if you live in NH, but work in MA. Do you have to pay MA Sate tax?

Thank you
you pay Ma Income tax - search the NH board, there are many previous threads on this same issue, but the short answer is yes you pay the MA tax, as well as if you live in Maine, you pay the Maine income tax.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:25 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,560 times
Probably ought to ask that in the MA forum but I'd say yes. Most gov'ts greedy enough to steal your income want it if you work there & live elsewhere or live there & work elsewhere.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Probably ought to ask that in the MA forum but I'd say yes. Most gov'ts greedy enough to steal your income want it if you work there & live elsewhere or live there & work elsewhere.
I know for a fact they pay the MA taxes, I just don't know all the details on it. Maine takes in account the spouses income, whereas, I don't think MA does - that's the kind of details I'm not positive on.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:17 AM

196 posts, read 276,005 times
Thank you all. This just sucks!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,136 times
As explained to me by my employer...

You will pay MA taxes on YOUR income but at your joint RATE if you file jointly, and ONLY on the number of days actually worked in MA. For example, if you work from home in NH 2 days a week and in MA 3 days a week, you pay MA taxes on those 3 days only.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,718 times
Yes, I pay them. Live in NH, work in MA. I have had the opposite situation (live in MA and work in NH) and paid MA then as well. You can pro-rate the days as notdancingqueen stated. You meet a lot of sales people and pilots that live in NH.....

Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM

161 posts, read 645,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdancingqueen View Post
As explained to me by my employer...

You will pay MA taxes on YOUR income but at your joint RATE if you file jointly, and ONLY on the number of days actually worked in MA. For example, if you work from home in NH 2 days a week and in MA 3 days a week, you pay MA taxes on those 3 days only.
That's interesting. But what is the legality of that? I guess an accountant would know best or a tax laywer. Could you conceivable arrange that you are only paid for the days you work in NH? Lol, I suppose you could do this, if the state of MA actually allows pro-rating in such a fashion. Interesting question.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
That's interesting. But what is the legality of that? I guess an accountant would know best or a tax laywer. Could you conceivable arrange that you are only paid for the days you work in NH? Lol, I suppose you could do this, if the state of MA actually allows pro-rating in such a fashion. Interesting question.
Why would I work in MA for free?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,136,895 times
you are taxed on your total joint income - so if I worked in Boston and my spouse worked in NH, we would pay taxes on the total income reported to the feds - the total is calculated to a percentage

so if spouse's income was 50% of mine than the total income is adjusted by 25%....it's not really fair. it's taxation without representation - but ME does the same thing to the spouse's income that is not earned in that state

as far as notating which days are worked in the two states, the W-2/4 must reflect the different states for income. It used to be a real pain when I would work in half a dozen states and calculating how much to send to each state for income tax

thankfully I'm retired, so the MA income tax is no longer an issue for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire