Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,156 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm a 25 y/o single male living in Boston. I grew up on a farm in a very small town in MN and moved to Boston a couple years ago just looking for a change. I've very much enjoyed my time in Boston but I miss my small town roots and wide open country living and freedom. I want to stay in New England and within driving distance of Boston. I've been to NH many times and I think I would enjoy living there and need some advice about finding a good place to live.

I'm mainly looking for a location with the following:

- Quick access to hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing, camping, etc, etc.
- Somewhere I can find a nice (cost effective) place in the country where I don't wake up to police sirens or honking cars each morning.
- I would prefer living far from neighbors
- Within driving distance to Boston
- The "out in the sticks" feel

Any advice would be appreciated! Oh, and I'm a web developer so high speed internet access is a must.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
since NH is only about 2 hours or so drive 'tall'.... what do you consider "driving distance" to Boston?

Most of what you said points to northern, NH - but that's not commutable.

anywhere will probably be quieter, no sirens or honking, the lakes are, what... hour-hour and a half away from the seacoast area? is that 'quick access'? Most towns have ponds, often you can boat, most land is huntable. living far from neighbors.. well if you want to be a 'boone' you mostly want the northern area (great for the outdoor sports as well), but.. again that's not commutable to Boston.

What are you willing to compromise a little on?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,156 times
I def do not need to commute to Boston on a daily or even weekly basis. I will spend 95% in the area I choose. I have friends here and don't want to get too far away so it's not easy to head down to Boston for a weekend or 2 a month without driving 6 hours.

Where in the Northern area would you recommend? Another factor I forgot to mention is the social life. I know anywhere I go wont compare to Boston but I still want to find somewhere there are at least some younger people (preferably single females) to socialize with.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
well in 6 hours you'd be well into Canada. so I don't think you'll need to worry that much. Maybe 3 hours.

There are a number of people who live in the North Country that can help better than I (I'm more southern), but I knew they'd want clarification.

You're biggest issues then will be the social life and the high speed internet. Probably you'll want to live outside one of the larger towns so you can go in for shopping and socializing, but that could be a problem for internet. Unless you want to go with a satelite company like Hughesnet.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,558 times
I think there are plenty of places much closer to Boston than way up north where you can feel like you are in the sticks and have no neighbors. You don't need to go too far off the highway in much of NH to get that feeling!

Seriously, I live near Sunapee and can get to North Station in 90 minutes with no or little traffic -- there are *plenty* of booney locations up here.

Also, the southwestern part of the state near Keene is more undeveloped than the southeast part of NH.

- Jackie

Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
Also, the southwestern part of the state near Keene is more undeveloped than the southeast part of NH.

ya' think? lol

Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,558 times
well - obvious to us but not to a 25 year old kid from MN!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
If I were in this situation, I'd consider a town within a half hour of Manchester. East if you want to be closer to the ocean; West or North if you want to be in the woods.... If your employer classifies you as a remote employee, you won't have to pay MA state income tax.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Default Get lost...

Since you're so close to NH already by living in Boston, I would recommend coming up here and getting "lost" in some of the areas of southern NH... I would think that many of the towns along 101 would offer what you're looking for. Sounds like you're more into the woods/wilderness than the seacoast (though that's where the singles/nightlife would be found). Much of NH except for "border towns" like Nashua, Salem, Plaistow, Seabrook, etc would feel like being in the sticks compared to darn near anywhere in Boston. There are a number of towns that aren't very far from conveniences, yet your nearest neighbor is an acre or two away. Are you looking for specific town recommendations, or general area?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,704,126 times
Actually I was thinking Barrington, Northwood, Nottingham has a remote type feel to them but pretty darn close to the Seacoast with a social atmosphere, and the ability to have high-speed internet. Barrington would be about an hour or so from Boston.

Good suggestions Valerie and Seamusnh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire