Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:05 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,700 times

Advertisements

ok admittedly it was a poor choice and I figured I'd get called on it....you are correct in all your statements.....there are ALWAYS exceptions to any generalization though and those exeptions don't negate the generalization. I don't have some stat or link to back up my claim....it was based on the fairly obvious voting stance of the this country.....i.e:

roughly half this country votes republican, the other democrat. Most conservatives (using whatever criteria you want to call it) vote for the republican party. That is not a stereotype, that is a basic fact. Independents garner ~1% of the vote in this country. MOST people come home to roost in one party or the other at the polls, and ultimately vote to support that party's stance....whether they agree 100% or not. The republican party is pro death penalty and pro life. Therefore I don't think it's a stretch to say that the majority of conservatives (in whatever capacity the term is used) support the death penalty and are against abortion.....perhaps not personally, but most assuredly at the polls, which is the only thing that really counts when it comes to public policy in this country.

In reality, the majority of this country as a whole supports the death penalty.

Last edited by fishnfool; 12-19-2008 at 01:21 PM..

Old 12-19-2008, 05:08 PM

89 posts, read 134,569 times
He is a loser whose criminal mindset has finally caught up with him. Take it outside and shoot it. Career criminals add nothing to society and his belated passing is already long overdue. Stop handwringing over taking out the trash.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:36 PM

215 posts, read 583,981 times
Addison should be executed as the Chinese do it. A bullet in the back of the head and send the family the bill for the cost of the bullet. I would have no problem pulling the trigger myself.. How would all the no death penalty people feel if Mike Briggs was their father,son,brother,or husband? I'm sure they would have no problem dropping the hammer on Addison.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
where is the furor over the Brook's murder for hire? that was clearly premeditated and if death penalties are being handed out, why not him?

He killed a man that was a father, son, brother and husband....

Why should cop killers get preferential treatment? Equal rights. Guaranteed, that will be part of the appeal. Other killers that did crimes just as heinous, if not more, are not getting the death penalty.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebrook View Post
Addison should be executed as the Chinese do it. A bullet in the back of the head and send the family the bill for the cost of the bullet. I would have no problem pulling the trigger myself.. How would all the no death penalty people feel if Mike Briggs was their father,son,brother,or husband? I'm sure they would have no problem dropping the hammer on Addison.
There's a reason why the term "Vengeance is Served" never caught on.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:21 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,139,717 times
or the crazy lady in epping....she isn't being murdered for being a murderer because she was not in her right mind when she killed those boys.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:37 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,995 times
I think the powers that be care more about the police than they do children. I have the utmost respect for the police but to value their lives higher than those of defenseless children in unjust.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 PM

215 posts, read 583,981 times
Don't get me wrong. I'm in favor of executing all killers and their conspirators. Especially killers of children. If you kill ,you your self should be put to death. If you conspire to kill and the act is carried out ,then you should be put to death.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:07 AM

120 posts, read 785,870 times
I personally agree that cops lives should not be valued more than children or any other innocent victims, I just also happen to believe that just because they choose to serve and protect does not mean that they should be valued any less, either. I think it really stinks for someone to spend their life doing the right thing, good cop or ordinary citizen, to lose it because of someone who's spent their life doing wrong. (Granted, all policemen do not fall under the category of 'good') Again, I'm not sure how I feel directly about this case, because I'm not privy to all the details, but I think it's about time we stop worrying about the criminals so much and start trying to care for our victims and honor our heroes. I'm not usually one to quote a movie, but there are a couple of lines in A Few Good Men that bear repeating....

Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
So because a child killer or others have not been sentenced to death then Michael Addison should not be sentenced to death for killing a police officer? Sorry but that is a weak argument and makes no sense to me. If you are that concerned about it, why not lobby your legislators to change it so that any murderer would be eliglible for the death penalty? I know I have certainly written my state reps about this numerous times over the years-unfortunately they don't listen as they are anti-death penalty to begin with. I have also written the governor about this-in the wake of those who want to repeal the death penalty. All I have received from him is numerous canned responses which is no surprise as that is the way he operates. Maybe if enough people contacted their legislators and government they would listen.

I think anyone who murders anyone should be eligible to receive the death penatly-regardless of whom they murder. I also think if you molest a child you should eligible for the death penalty as well. We continually see child molestors released again and again to do it again and again. Putting child molestors to death would ensure they could never harm an innocent child again.

Last edited by nicolem; 12-20-2008 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire