Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,385,344 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in North Dakota, but will be heading back to the seacoast area when I retire from the Air Force in 5.5 years. After being here in Minot, I will never complain about cold again once I leave. Here is about as bad as it gets, cold and wind-wise. I am looking forward to trees, mountains, ocean, the moderate (relatively) winters on the seacoast, trips to Fenway Park, and the people and culture of New England. I was born and raised in Kittery Maine, and the closest I've been to home since entering the Air Force was a special duty assignment in Central Vermont teaching AF ROTC at a college. I just sold a house there and took a beating on it, so I'm thinking the land market would also be soft right now.

I'd like to buy some land, at least 2 wooded acres, to build my retirement house on, and have the land paid off before retirement. Given the current real estate market, now seems like a good time to buy. I've heard alot about single family home prices going down and inventory going up, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if land prices are going down also and the inventory going up. You'd think they would mirror the home market, but I'd like to get some input on what's going on there and figure the land market might be a little different than the housing market. I'll be home on leave in October (gotta hit it during the foliage) and would probably be ready to buy then assuming the market is still right for it.

I'd be looking to buy as far north up Rt 16 as Rochester, as far west as Northwood on Rt 4, and as far west as Raymond on Rt 101.

Any thoughts on the land market in this economy? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,145,422 times
an acre of land is valued between $50K and $100K depending on which area you choose.

Of course, as soon as you put a house on it, the value will skyrocket.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,162,795 times
Housing and land has dropped, but (land) not far enough if you ask me. In Rockingham County in particular small acreage lots (1+) are still selling for 150K plus in the more desirable areas.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:10 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,385,344 times
Rockingham County is probably too rich for me. I'll probably end up in Strafford County, or as a last resort, over in York County ME (the Berwicks). $50K an acre is about as much as I can choke down.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 99,579 times
I have not seen land prices go down as much as houses have. Perhaps, it is in part to the people who own the land do not need to sell it as much as some home owners are. Still, there are bargains to be found. Developers who may have land are selling some of their holdings to offset any losses on houses they've had to dump. Some people are making aggressive offers and getting them accepted. You are right to think that now is a good time to buy, especially with lower interest rates. There are over 140 land parcels currently for sale in Rockingham and Strafford counties less than $50,000 an acre so you certainly have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire